Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
jasin1

Tire choices for 315rls

After reading the thread yesterday that COMPLETELY Went OFF THE RAILS about tires I definitely need to get mine replaced ..I have 1 year on TK st 235/80R16E
I would like to replace them with ANOTHER BRAND…. Does anyone who has a 315rls have any idea if the rims will support a higher load range? I looked at Goodyear endurance and Sailun tires and I would like to get either of them but I would have to go up to a 235/85/16 tire and increased psi rating…
I’ve been meaning to replace but yesterday reminded me

I may need to pull one of the wheels to see the psi rating? Yes?

And for the record I was not defending any tire brand….I was looking at the the tire exploding and commented on things that I thought contributed to a INFERIOR brand tire having a failure and was trying to be humorous and see what led up to the explosion. ( yes I know. Nothing contributed ..just BOOM )

Life is too short to get worked up over frivolous things
Old 09-08-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
After reading the thread yesterday that COMPLETELY Went OFF THE RAILS about tires I definitely need to get mine replaced ..I have 1 year on TK st 235/80R16E
I would like to replace them with ANOTHER BRAND…. Does anyone who has a 315rls have any idea if the rims will support a higher load range? I looked at Goodyear endurance and Sailun tires and I would like to get either of them but I would have to go up to a 235/85/16 tire and increased psi rating…
I’ve been meaning to replace but yesterday reminded me

I may need to pull one of the wheels to see the psi rating? Yes?

And for the record I was not defending any tire brand….I was looking at the the tire exploding and commented on things that I thought contributed to a INFERIOR brand tire having a failure and was trying to be humorous and see what led up to the explosion. ( yes I know. Nothing contributed ..just BOOM )

Life is too short to get worked up over frivolous things

Jasin don't worry about that "blowup"/"blowout" about TKs. That's over and done but we DO need to get your tires taken care of!

To be certain vs guess pull a wheel and look on the back, it could have a max psi, max weight rating or both. Your current tires look like they are probably rated at 80psi. Your wheels may be rated at that max or maybe 95 or 110 (I doubt). DT has your OE size and load range (E) in a Carlisle Radial Trail HD which are very good tires. The load rating is 3520 each I believe. That is 14,080lbs. max weight. Your gvw on the trailer is only 12,390 (or somewhere close depending on sticker). Unlike a few years ago with the new RVIA standards we are seeing OE tires that actually support the weight of the trailer. Considering (I don't) the reduction of the load on the trailer due to the pin weight the tires will be carrying much less than the gvw. As a note the Carlisles are 123 ea. and the Endurance are 179; pretty significant difference when considering 5 tires.

The OE size ends at LRE from what I can find but seems enough for your trailer. Going to the 85 series is going to allow you to up the weight rating (if your wheels will support it) but are you sure that's what you want to do?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jasin don't worry about that "blowup"/"blowout" about TKs. That's over and done but we DO need to get your tires taken care of!

To be certain vs guess pull a wheel and look on the back, it could have a max psi, max weight rating or both. Your current tires look like they are probably rated at 80psi. Your wheels may be rated at that max or maybe 95 or 110 (I doubt). DT has your OE size and load range (E) in a Carlisle Radial Trail HD which are very good tires. The load rating is 3520 each I believe. That is 14,080lbs. max weight. Your gvw on the trailer is only 12,390 (or somewhere close depending on sticker). Unlike a few years ago with the new RVIA standards we are seeing OE tires that actually support the weight of the trailer. Considering (I don't) the reduction of the load on the trailer due to the pin weight the tires will be carrying much less than the gvw. As a note the Carlisles are 123 ea. and the Endurance are 179; pretty significant difference when considering 5 tires.

The OE size ends at LRE from what I can find but seems enough for your trailer. Going to the 85 series is going to allow you to up the weight rating (if your wheels will support it) but are you sure that's what you want to do?
Thanks! Will look at the Carlisles…will get 5 of them …and yes current tires are 80 psi..will get this done before the next trip
Old 09-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #4
jim1

Hey jasin1, we also have a 315RLS and I put the Sailun ST235/80/r16 tires on. We haven't had any issues with them so far and they seem to be a really good tire. I run mine at 95 psi and that seems ideal for us. Why do you have to go up to 235/85/r16's? And I could not find any PSI rating on my wheels.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hey jasin1, we also have a 315RLS and I put the Sailun ST235/80/r16 tires on. We haven't had any issues with them so far and they seem to be a really good tire. I run mine at 95 psi and that seems ideal for us. Why do you have to go up to 235/85/r16's? And I could not find any PSI rating on my wheels.
I could be wrong but my tires have a load capacity of 3860 lbs ..the sailuns and GY are like 3640lbs in a 235/80 profile ?

I think I’m wrong on that…I believe it’s just the GY that I would need to upsize
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4AEE79E3-2F88-469D-BCDD-28B464CBE33F.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	35726  
Old 09-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
jasin1

One other question….what is the best way to jack up the trailer? Both sides at once ? Under the spring base connection at axle? Use the 3.0 leveling system and a jack?
I’m thinking of taking all 5 tires off and taking to Walmart for Carlisle tires …if I get sailun the dealer may be able to accommodate my fifth wheel

Edit: I looked back on older posts and I figured it out
Old 09-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #7
rhagfo

Jason, you might consider an LT tire for your 5er. Yes, the load capacity is less but the tire construction is superior to ST tires. I run Yokohama YK-HTX LT tires on our 12,360# GVWR 5er, we have about 10,000# on the axles and tires rated at 3,042# ea. Many will balk at the lack of load reserve, but I stand with superior construction and materials.
This 5er came with LT tires OE and I watched closely after we bought it in April of 2012. We finally replaced in 2016 when they started to get very fine cracks at the bead.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote