Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2021, 06:50 AM   #1
Ken / Claudia

I am without a RV

First time since mid 1990s I don't have a RV sitting next to the garage. I was going to keep the unit until the new one arrived around April. That dealer was going to give me 13,000 trade in and that time. The local rv shop also sells used RVs and checked it out last week and paid me 15,000. When new it was 24,000. The best resale value I have ever had from an RV.
Yea, I could have made more if I sold it. After being a cop for 39 years I have investigated every kind of way people defraud others out of their money. It's always a big mess if it happens. Plus I do not like people I do not know into my house or on the property. So it's gone, the dealer takes all the risk. When I trade anything in to a business to resell, I say I am paying them to sell it.
Boy did we have lots of stuff we kept packed in it. I also kept bug out gear/tools/emergency stuff in it that always stayed in it.
And of course any new RV will be more than I ever thought I would be paying for a new unit.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #2
jsb5717

Yeah, it's kinda like moving. We've done the same with a few trailers over the years. It's amazing how many nooks and crannies there are that end up storing something we'll never use again. There's also "oh, that's where that went...".

Upgrading is fun, though, so congrats on the next phase. By the time you get to April half the work will already have been done.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I know the feeling. Long story short, when we bought current fiver, we were going to trade in. Ended up selling it and our mortgage company played games with the refi. Ended up waiting 4 months to clear up the mortgage and get the new fiver.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #4
jasin1

I think you did the right thing…some people are totally fine with advertising on Craigslist or marketplace..I have used it in the past but have grown tired of the BS you have to put up with..you would end up having different families stomping around the trailer and trying out the bed….then they would ask you to take a third party check from the “Sawtooth Bank of Wisconsin
Old 11-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I think a lot of the Craigslist "problems" or "concerns" are location related. In a metropolitan area there's a lot more potential for someone to "appear then disappear into the woodwork". That can lead to people feeling bold enough to risk more than in a rural area where when someone calls about a CL ad, or sends an email, the discussion invariably includes comments such as, "Do you know Jim? He's from your neck of the woods" or "Yeah, I was right past your house yesterday on my way back from downstate" or some other bit of information that leads more to "knowing who you're dealing with" than the "big city anonymity"... While it's certainly no guarantee that things will always go smoothly, using CL in a rural area where you'll usually know the buyer's neighbor or even a relative of his, is IMO, a bit safer than trying to use it in a large city.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think a lot of the Craigslist "problems" or "concerns" are location related. In a metropolitan area there's a lot more potential for someone to "appear then disappear into the woodwork". That can lead to people feeling bold enough to risk more than in a rural area where when someone calls about a CL ad, or sends an email, the discussion invariably includes comments such as, "Do you know Jim? He's from your neck of the woods" or "Yeah, I was right past your house yesterday on my way back from downstate" or some other bit of information that leads more to "knowing who you're dealing with" than the "big city anonymity"... While it's certainly no guarantee that things will always go smoothly, using CL in a rural area where you'll usually know the buyer's neighbor or even a relative of his, is IMO, a bit safer than trying to use it in a large city.
Good point…my biggest frustration was dealing with people with endless questions and emails and then finding out they just treat it like a game…..wanna have some fun? (Aggravation)…. List a 97 jeep tj on Craigslist or a 1979 San Juan 21 sailboat for $400 (with a trailer)…let the fun begin…a bunch of knuckleheads will bombard your inbox with ridiculous low offers and insults on the jeep and in the case of the sailboat will proceed to spend multiple visits bringing various family members of questionable knowledge to go over the sailboat as if it were a yacht they planned to cross the Atlantic in .
Old 11-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Good point…my biggest frustration was dealing with people with endless questions and emails and then finding out they just treat it like a game…..wanna have some fun? (Aggravation)…. List a 97 jeep tj on Craigslist or a 1979 San Juan 21 sailboat for $400 (with a trailer)…let the fun begin…a bunch of knuckleheads will bombard your inbox with ridiculous low offers and insults on the jeep and in the case of the sailboat will proceed to spend multiple visits bringing various family members of questionable knowledge to go over the sailboat as if it were a yacht they planned to cross the Atlantic in .

I'm with you. I don't, won't, sell anything on Craig's list, by advertisement etc. As you noted some of those buyers treat it as a game (I don't play games) and those antics put me on a short fuse.

Anything I sell I always put a "give away" price on it so it will be well below the lowest value possible to avoid hassles. That does not stop the "lookers", "bargain seekers" and "antagonists" (IMO - can I take it for a drive alone, "that's too high" etc.). I've tried about a half dozen times over the decades never ending in a good deal for me. The best I felt about any of them was selling a super clean used vehicle to a lady that needed it for her DIL whose husband (lady's son) was deployed. I gave it to her for 1/2 of the low price I asked. Changed banks and she worked there; recognized me and remembered the sale. Said when her son returned they sold the vehicle for double what I was paid - which I liked.

I only give my stuff away (boats, tools, etc.) and trade (vehicles) these days. The world is too weird anymore, I have zero patience......and did I mention my sweet nature? Some enjoy that adventure (my son included) but I just won't deal with it - and I'm good with that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #8
German Shepherd Guy

Congratulations Ken.

It will be a lot of fun moving into the new one and deciding what kind of things to put in. What's the new one going to be? Are you going to upgrade the ford?

It will feel a lot like waiting for Christmas back when you were a kid to wait until April.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
Gegrad

I had good luck selling my old Passport on RV Trader. Feels like the specialty site attracts interested people vs. CL where anyone browsing can see your listing. You don't go to RV Trader unless you are looking for a RV.

I also have had great luck selling smaller items like my old tires and other household goods on Facebook Marketplace. You can also see who is messaging you about your stuff and you have a profile to report in case something does happen (never had even a slight issue there). I did use to sell stuff on CL frequently, and the random texts from people could occasionally be sketchy.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I have an order in on a TT of similar size, a OutdoorsRV. A small company in LaGrande Oregon parent co, is Nash/Artic Fox.
Their Backcountry 24KRS it's a close floorplan of the Keystone I just sold. GVWR is heavier at 9995. I was going to go with a Keystone half ton 5er. but really want the truck bed clear to use to carry stuff like a ATV. Here I can tow double but won't. I am keeping the 2013 f350 for now.
I visited the dealer yesterday, good news they are building that model in Dec this year. Bad news the company raised the cost, my order is just that no sales contract due to unknown rising costs. I placed the order about 2 months ago. So when it gets here I can decide if I am willing to pay the higher cost or not and back out of the sale. Looks like might be in the 3,000 bucks more.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #11
NV.Dan

We just recently moved from our 26ft bumper to our new one and it took almost 2hrs to move things over . We did this at the dealer since we were out of town when we got it. I couldn't believe how much stuff we had in that little thing.
Our original 2007 travel trailer cost us $12,500 and got $15,000 for it. Great ROI on it!!
Have fun on your new adventures!

Old 11-03-2021, 01:22 PM   #12
notanlines

Dan, you poor thing! Imagine, 2 whole hours moving all your stuff! The old timers here are laughing their butts off right now. Yes, just having a little fun at your expense. After you've been at this a couple more RV's it will take TWO DAYS to get things transferred. Notice I didn't say 'put away.' That target takes months to accomplish.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
NV.Dan

LOL, glad I could make you laugh. You are correct though. Things are moved, but definitely not put away. ��

Old 11-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #14
maccam1

congrats on your new rv and retirement
what did you buy,that you are getting in april
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote