Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2021, 08:24 AM   #21
CChambers

It appears the consensus for tires is a Goodyear Endurance or a Carlisle Radial. Is that what I’m seeing?
Old 09-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #22
lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChambers View Post
It appears the consensus for tires is a Goodyear Endurance or a Carlisle Radial. Is that what I’m seeing?
Yeah , I am a relative newbie also, welcome to the club. I’ve had my trailer for 2 years now am looking to get new tires beginning of next year . I will probably get the Carlisle
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Those are both good choices. The Carlisle Radial Trail HD trailer tires have been out several years now and have a very good track record. The Endurance tires are relatively new to the market and haven't heard a lot of long term reports on them.

One other thing I might mention, and this is just me, when I mentioned previously about the gvw of your FW trailer and the max load rating of the load range E tires that came on it I just thought they might be a little light weight for that size trailer - that is a personal opinion, some folks figure taking the pin weight off the gvw. I like my tires to have a load rating for the gvw of the trailer minimum and a nice reserve above that if possible. The LRE tires don't do that for your trailer. You might give it some thought. Carlise makes a CSL 16 tire in a load range F that might be the ticket.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #24
TNVJones

Welcome from a fellow NC traveler. You will get some good advice on the forum. Safe travels
TNVJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:01 AM   #25
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Those are both good choices. The Carlisle Radial Trail HD trailer tires have been out several years now and have a very good track record. The Endurance tires are relatively new to the market and haven't heard a lot of long term reports on them.

One other thing I might mention, and this is just me, when I mentioned previously about the gvw of your FW trailer and the max load rating of the load range E tires that came on it I just thought they might be a little light weight for that size trailer - that is a personal opinion, some folks figure taking the pin weight off the gvw. I like my tires to have a load rating for the gvw of the trailer minimum and a nice reserve above that if possible. The LRE tires don't do that for your trailer. You might give it some thought. Carlise makes a CSL 16 tire in a load range F that might be the ticket.

So, current tire is 2540 lbs per tire at 4 is a total of 10160 lbs. GVWR on the trailer is 9292 lbs plus 2208 comes to 11500. I see what you are saying. My tires are 1340 lbs under what I need.

Carlisle Radials are same load weight, Goodyear Endurance is 2830 per which is still under by 180 lbs but is alot closer.

I still have some research to do. Sorry for my math, I’ll use this as a guide while shopping. Thanks for your help and knowledge
Old 09-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #26
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVJones View Post
Welcome from a fellow NC traveler. You will get some good advice on the forum. Safe travels

What part of NC?
Old 09-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #27
CaptnJohn

Welcome from the southern NC coast, when we are there. We travel 6-7 months annually. That Cougar has wheels to turn. We are in St Augustine this month and the Smokies next month.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:53 PM   #28
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Welcome from the southern NC coast, when we are there. We travel 6-7 months annually. That Cougar has wheels to turn. We are in St Augustine this month and the Smokies next month.

I like me some OIB. Good area. We’re big Carolina Beach, Oak Island folks. Occasionally we make it down your way.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #29
Mainer

Quote:
I have two stops in Va to look at a couple projects we’ve got under construction, then we’re jumping over to 81 and staying away from DC, NYC, etc. I’ve never driven it but my cousin in Maine does twice a year and is recommending that route versus the 95 route thru those cities and the associated tolls and traffic. This would take me thru- I believe- Harrisburg, Wilkes Barre and Scranton.
Been there, done that both ways. I agree with your cousin. Things "Down" this way may fill up fast, reservations are recommended, lots to see and do. What part are you headed to.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #30
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
Been there, done that both ways. I agree with your cousin. Things "Down" this way may fill up fast, reservations are recommended, lots to see and do. What part are you headed to.

They live in Monson, pretty much dead center of the state. 40 minutes north east of Bingham.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:59 AM   #31
Mainer

Small world

Quote:
They live in Monson, pretty much dead center of the state. 40 minutes north east of Bingham.
Guess you're not looking for " full hookups" . The Camp is in Bodfish 15 minutes northeast of Monson, no electricity, no phone, cell sketchy. Bingham is kind of the hard way to get to Monson from anywhere else.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #32
CChambers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer View Post
Guess you're not looking for " full hookups" . The Camp is in Bodfish 15 minutes northeast of Monson, no electricity, no phone, cell sketchy. Bingham is kind of the hard way to get to Monson from anywhere else.

We actually are staying on their property while we are there. Water and 20A. Will probably need a dump station while in Monson but I’ll only need hookups on the way up and the way back.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #33
Mainer

Quote:
We actually are staying on their property while we are there. Water and 20A. Will probably need a dump station while in Monson but I’ll only need hookups on the way up and the way back.
The two closest dump stations are Lily Bay State Park in Beaver Cove on Moosehead Lake over 20 miles North or Balsam Woods Campground 10 miles South off 16 in Abbot. You will pass by the turnoff for the latter if you are coming from any other state. Follow 95 to Newport, follow the signs to Moosehead, at the Rt 15 tee turn left and follow it through Abbot to Monson. There are shorter ways but easy to get lost. Don't set your GPS to "shortest" many roads have not been passable for years and I know of a 15 minute by GPS that actually "Ya can't get there from hea, ya have to go back and start ova", the go around is over an hour (it goes by our camp, washed out 10 years ago and was discontinued).

Tags