Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2021, 07:42 PM   #1
fstmvrerik

Surge protection?

I have been looking at surge and/or other forms of protecting our camper from electrical issues.
When my wife saw the price range for different devices ($300- 600) she asked me if our full coverage insurance, minus the $500 deductible would make the purchase unnecessary.
I don't know the answer, has anybody had the misfortune to find out?
fstmvrerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstmvrerik View Post
I have been looking at surge and/or other forms of protecting our camper from electrical issues.
When my wife saw the price range for different devices ($300- 600) she asked me if our full coverage insurance, minus the $500 deductible would make the purchase unnecessary.
You definitely want an Electrical Management System (EMS), not just a surge protector. An EMS will also protect your coach against high and low voltage conditions. An EMS will not allow power to enter your coach if an unsafe condition is detected, preventing potential damage to electronics such as control boards, appliances etc. - anything plugged in could sustain damage if an event occurred and your coach was unprotected. EMS units are typically around $300-$400. They can be portable - just plug in to the camp power pedestal or hard wired and installed within the RV.

As to your insurance covering damage....can't answer that, either, but even if they did, why would you want to go through having to replace fried control boards, perhaps your entire A/C, your television, fridge etc., should a major 'event' occur. IMO a one time $300 investment is the way to go.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Mark hit the nail on the head; to let the trailer be destroyed because you don't want to spend $3-400, pay the $500 repeatedly for deductible, have who knows what happen while you are traveling far away from home and go without your RV while waiting for insurance approval and then repairs.....that's a very poor choice. Far, far more to consider than the "small initial cost".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:09 PM   #4
bobbecky

Some years ago, with a Progressive surge protector plugged in at the pedestal, we experienced a power company voltage glitch when a branch from a tree fell across the lines during a wind event. Fortunately, we only lost both the Dish VIP 211k satellite boxes. I replaced them with a couple of Wally's, but the dollar amount would not have been high enough to file a claim. Besides spending the money on the Wally's, I ordered a hardwired Progressive EMS, and there have been numerous times it has shut power down for various electric issues that would have done costly damage, or even injury. We full time, so any problems like that would not only be expensive but also would delay any traveling for unknown time. Spend the money, it's just like they say, pay now or pay later, just like insurance.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
mcomeaux

Protector

I use the Progressive Ind. I had something bad hit our system in Arizona.
Bad enough the unit toast. Called Progressive and they Fed-Ex a new one overnight no hassle no charge.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:53 AM   #6
cliff

We have had two occasions where the neutral opened on the campground sending up to 220 volts to the trailer. My neighbors had fried electrics, but we didn't. Also, we only had to turn off the Surgeguard EMS, and turn it back on. Our neighbors spent a couple of K each replacing their stuff. Get the EMS.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:10 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

There's another thread right now (one of many) expressing why an EMS is (or should be) a required part of every RV....

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=47790

To the OP, I'd just ask, if you had been in this same situation last night, would that $500 insurance deductible have kept you camping or would you have had to cut your trip short, head home, file a claim and then wait for your trailer to be repaired???? It's not necessarily all about the bucks, but rather, it "should be" about protecting your investment, both the money invested in your trailer AND the money invested in how you use it .....

Get a reliable EMS (not a surge protector) and use it at EVERY place where you plug in your RV, even at home !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:00 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I'll throw out another scenario that hasn't been covered and likely won't be "covered" by insurance and that's low voltage. A low voltage condition can be commin in a full campground on a hot summer day. The problem is you don't know it's happening. An EMS will shut down the incomming power when ghe voltage drops to a point prevenying damage to the air conditioner, the converter, and possibly other components/appliances.

While you may get your insurance to cover a nearby lightning strike as "an act of God" they may also tell you to seek compensation from the utility company or the campground as they own the equipment that's providing power. Obviously no one here knows your insurance coverage and a lot of folks don’t know EXACTLY what their own policy covers.

I maintain a $100 deductible (I've always been over insured) but I have an EMS and wouldn't plug in without it. So as others have covered so well just think of the "electrical issue" where the a/c, the fridge, and maybe other control boards rendering the camper unusable. It's typicall for service appointments to be months out nowadays. Then once they get the unit it could be months more for parts to be sourced. Mehwhile, your monthly payments continue, you may lose deposits on campsites, and you'll be kicking yourself for not spending less than your deductable yo have prevented it all.

JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:43 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Just to add to what Marshall said; I've had multiple instances of brownouts (low voltage) happen at our home that has killed desktops, freezers, fridges etc. On 2 occasions I called the insurance company (2 different companies) and was told they don't cover something like that. One lady went so far as to tell me (she felt sorry for me) "if I would just tell her we got hit by lightning" they would cover it - told her I couldn't do that because it wasn't.

Low voltage happens at our home but in campgrounds it is very common and causes lots of damage while you don't even have an idea, an EMS prevents that among the many other things. Again, purchasing an EMS shouldn't even be a question; just "which brand"?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:48 AM   #10
Northofu1

I had the 30amp Progressive industries hardwired ems in my TT and the 50amp in my 5er.
Not that hard to install, peace of mind, lets you know if the power at the post is good, saves your bacon if something happens after being plugged in.
Take the plunge.......

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:00 AM   #11
Brando

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Again, purchasing an EMS shouldn't even be a question; just "which brand"?
Sad but true. I'm a new TT owner and going online and within this forum, just to read and learn how to use my TT and deal with any issues that come up along the way. I've read or seen videos about products that are "nice to have" but not essential to using your TT.

The EMS/Surge Protector (depending on brand) is essential. It's expensive to purchase, but the cost of replacement/fix is more than having an EMS safeguard your TT.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:14 AM   #12
Roper46

Used my portable Progressive Industries EMS I purchased for the new 5er first time this past week for four days. Plugged it in and went about setting up other things for it to run it's checks. Put a security cable around it, it is not cheap. But it seemed to work flawlessly.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #13
travelin texans

There's 3 items that should be absolutely mandatory for EVERY RV owner;
#1 an EMS, hardwired or portable just get one
#2 a real water pressure regulator, not that POS restrictor
#3 a VOM, volt meter, & study how to use it
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There's 3 items that should be absolutely mandatory for EVERY RV owner;
#1 an EMS, hardwired or portable just get one
#2 a real water pressure regulator, not that POS restrictor
#3 a VOM, volt meter, & study how to use it
Since I quit procrastinating and finally installed by Guta TPMS that likely should be on the list as #4 and of course at #5? TOILET PAPER!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Used my portable Progressive Industries EMS I purchased for the new 5er first time this past week for four days. Plugged it in and went about setting up other things for it to run it's checks. Put a security cable around it, it is not cheap. But it seemed to work flawlessly.
My first 30A Progressive EMS died during a camping trip. I had bought it used on eBay and Progressive had a new one waiting for me when I returned home. Told me to throw away the old one. They stand behind their products.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:49 PM   #16
jasin1

Without an ems you may never know why your refrigerator or air cond stopped working…some people that complain about their poor quality appliances might be surprised that it was actually caused by faulty campground electric…some issues may not even show up on that trip but the damage was already done
Old 08-31-2021, 05:57 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a word of caution:

Essentially, the difference between a surge protector and an EMS is that a surge protector will "tell you there's a problem" but an EMS will shut down power to the trailer if there is a problem....

A "surge protector" regardless of manufacturer, is NOT an EMS !!!!!

Progressive and Southwire sell "surge protectors" which will "lay there and let your trailer burn to the ground without protecting it from the common power issues that any EMS will shut down power to stop any damage.....

Those "red blinking lights on a surge protector" warning you that your ground is hot, won't stop a child (or you) from getting electrocuted if you happen to touch the wrong part of the trailer. Those "yellow blinking lights on a surge protector" won't shut down power when it drops to 90 volts and your air conditioner is smoking as it self destructs and those "green blinking lights don't really mean that in the next 5 seconds, your voltage might drop and the ground might burn up in the power cord. All that "surge protector" will do is change from green blinking lights to yellow and red blinking lights as your trailer "burns to the ground"....

Don't settle for the $79 surge protector"... Get an EMS...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #18
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstmvrerik View Post
I’d be afraid the fine print of the fine print in the insurance policy would exclude things and you’d be stuck replacing some items.
I doubt an insurance policy will rewire your camper.
Most electrics are hidden from easy inspection so you only know about faulty components and not the condition of cables.

Spending the $300-$600 now could save you from a fire or damage to electronics that may fail later on and not immediately.

And then there’s the time and hassle of replacing a fridge, microwave, AC or AC component, audio/video system, etc.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #19
fstmvrerik

Luckily Camping World had a sale this weekend, my wife picked up an hard wire progressive, now I have to clean out the garage to install it.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #20
CedarCreekWoody

You made a good choice.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote