Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
Sheila32280

Battery Disconnect??

Was wondering if anyone could tell me if i should disconnect the batteries after they have been charged and the trailer is at a camp site plugged in? We keep having issues with the batteries dying and was wondering if this could be the cause. Any help is greatly appreciated. We currently use our RV when working on the road so it is connected to power at an RV Park most of the time but it seems that when we relocate the batteries die out as soon as the short plug is disconnected.
Sheila32280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Scttw

Welcome!

I always leave mine connected, but that's mainly because if the power goes out my inside fridge will switch over to propane and I won't lose my meat! It needs the spark from the battery!

Yes, my beer fridge is outside

I've only replaced the battery 1 time in 5 years. I do take it out in the winter and keep it on a trickle.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila32280 View Post
Was wondering if anyone could tell me if i should disconnect the batteries after they have been charged and the trailer is at a camp site plugged in? We keep having issues with the batteries dying and was wondering if this could be the cause. Any help is greatly appreciated. We currently use our RV when working on the road so it is connected to power at an RV Park most of the time but it seems that when we relocate the batteries die out as soon as the short plug is disconnected.
First, not sure what a "short plug" is. Second, batteries should stay in as they charge via your converter when your camper is plugged into shore power. If they are dying when you relocate, the batteries should be removed and taken to an autoparts store and LOAD TESTED. Either the batteries are dying OR the converter isn't working as it should. Take a second to go to the UserCP at top/left of every page and add a signature with your year, make and model of camper and same for your tow vehicle and your questions will be answered with more context. Welcome.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #4
Blackrock

If you haven't destroyed your batteries by now you have shortened their lifespan. The batteries and converter are an integral part of the 12v system that supports many of the systems in the trailer. Also by running the 12v systems off of the converter with the batteries in disconnect can eventually kill the converter.
Think of the batteries as a storage reservoir of power needed for running your lights, refrigerator controls, water heater controls, slides, a/c and heating thermostat plus heater blower motor.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #5
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
If you haven't destroyed your batteries by now you have shortened their lifespan. The batteries and converter are an integral part of the 12v system that supports many of the systems in the trailer. Also by running the 12v systems off of the converter with the batteries in disconnect can eventually kill the converter.
Think of the batteries as a storage reservoir of power needed for running your lights, refrigerator controls, water heater controls, slides, a/c and heating thermostat plus heater blower motor.
My Bullet has a warning sign near the control panel that states that battery power is required for operating the slide and the awning.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

If your batteries have died repeatedly and die when you unplug from power they are probably "dead". As George mentioned have them load tested. How often do you check/refill the water in them? Also, here's a link to some general battery maintenance information. Look closely at page 4 to see what discharging a battery does to it;

https://www.intechtrailers.com/image...nce-Manual.pdf
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #7
German Shepherd Guy

Don't stress too much about what Bob said (Blackrock). I think he miss read your post. Shelia is not disconnecting the batteries when she is at the park, rather she was wondering IF THAT would help them last as they go dead shortly after she disconnects and while traveling to the next park.

What Danny (Sourdough) said and Wiredgeorge. Your batteries are most likely toast and replacing them will most likely fix that. BUT load test them first to make sure. Most any auto parts store can do that for you. As can your local mechanic most likely.

When you replace them try to get Deep Cycle batteries as the best. However not always easy as they will try to sell you "RV/ Marine" batteries as Deep Cycle and though they are better than car batteries they are not true deep cycle. (If the new battery has a listing on it for "cold cranking amps" and is listed as an RV/Marine deep cycle battery then it is not a true deep cycle battery. A true deep cycle battery is more like what they put into golf carts)If you cannot find true deep cycle the RV/Marine WILL WORK great for you as it sounds like most of your "camping" is done at RV parks and new batteries will be SO MUCH better than what i suspect you have now. Will keep everything running while you travel from place to place. Leave them connected when you are at the park and plugged in. I disconnect mine when my TT (travel trailer) is in storage.
Welcome to the forum Sheila.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery