Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #21
tomd

I just added a second A/C unit. Things to consider: 1) Ductless, so you have independent control from other unit; Also means you can get any brand. 2) I went for least height, short unit, since it makes for the best clearance; low profile costs more. 3) BTU size: 13.5 to 15 is not much difference, price may drive your decision.

Installing yourself: be very very cautious, very few locations on roof can support you, helper and the a/c unit. The shop used a forklift to avoid excess weight to drop unit into correct location. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2021, 03:32 AM   #22
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino3665 View Post
Before you add the 2nd A/C unit, do THIS.
Inspect the duct connection at the main A/C unit. Your rig is old enough that the adhesive on the tape holding the ducts to the A/C has let go a bit and you are most likely pouring cold air into the rafter area and not as much into your forward bedroom.
There are YouTube videos describing this condition. It is an EASY FIX.
I had this issue in my 309 Springdale. The results could make you change your mind about a 2nd A/C unit.
BTW: Are you thinking you are going to sleep with the noise from an A/C unit running right over your head?
Yes, I have already inspected and re taped all of the a/c ducts and also the area around the main a/c unit. I was loosing air into the attic but not anymore and it has made a huge difference in airflow but not enough of a difference. I agree with the noise but dont plan to sleep with the forward unit running, just to keep the total rig cooler during the day. Thanks!
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:41 AM   #23
Skippy38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Keystones that are 50A with optional additional AC usually are ducted and ducting is inner connected. That way you can run either or both ac’s to cool.
A 13.5btu AC in bedroom alone would really chill it if non ducted.
Mine really helps boost the 15K for the whole RV on super hot days.

If you have the In-Command system you have to not only have the Dometic AC unit but the gateway and controller to integrate the two AC zones through the In-Command.
They are individually controllable.

You can still choose to connect it without using a gateway to integrate with the In-Command and hooking to it’s own stand alone thermostat. Instructions come that way. It would still dump into the inner connected ductwork.

Only difference I see is the bedroom AC wouldn’t be controllable from In-Command screen or mobile phone. You just go to the second AC thermostat in bedroom to change settings.
Going Dometic AC & controller to Dometic wall thermostat is a little easier and cheaper than the extra components needed for In-Command.

If I had my choice I’d prefer a regular switched control center for everything and not the integrated electronic computer giz of In-Command system.
My rig is 50a but is not ducted in the front so connecting to the existing duct system is not an option. I also do not have the In-Command system so I have to go with a stand alone unit which is not a problem...
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote