Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2021, 05:03 AM   #1
CajunAsian

Extended Warranties

Good Morning All,

I don't know if I should go with the salesman's extended warranty or Good Sam's extended service plan. The two are very similar in price and coverages but with Good Sam, I can use a mobile tech instead of waiting for a service dept.

Anyone have any bad experiences with Good Sam? I have searched the forums but did not find anything specific to my what I am looking for.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunAsian View Post
Good Morning All,

I don't know if I should go with the salesman's extended warranty or Good Sam's extended service plan. The two are very similar in price and coverages but with Good Sam, I can use a mobile tech instead of waiting for a service dept.

Anyone have any bad experiences with Good Sam? I have searched the forums but did not find anything specific to my what I am looking for.
I can give you a good experience with Sam. I had a mobile tech come out a few weeks ago and replace a frayed slide cable while we were out camping. I didn't expect it to be covered (as the list of un-coverables is HUGE) but it was.....$100 deductible was all it cost, no questions asked.

I am not a big believer in extended warranties as the cost is usually pretty high. I was actually all set to just say 'no' when we purchased this trailer but the cost was minimal compared to what I was charged by a dealer offered option on our first rig.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:00 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I too am not a big fan of extended warranties but I've had it on my last 2 RVs. As time keeps marching on my ability/desire to crawl, contort, bend, break and scrape my body keeps declining - enter extended warranties.

As far as Good Sam I have nothing but good to say. Haven't used them much as I keep forgetting I've got it. On my last trailer I developed a leak in the galley gray tank. They pulled it out and found a screw left from building it trapped between the floor and the top of the tank eventually rubbing a hole in the top. I didn't think "extended warranty" would cover that 5 years in but they did without any issue. $3100 saved which more than paid for that policy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
travelin texans

Your rv is covered by the rv manufacturer for at least 1 year, most of the appliances are covered by their manufacturer for 2+ years. If you want or feel you need an extended warranty wait til after at least the initial 1 year then shop around for an extended coverage, you'll likely find it cheaper rather than giving your dealer their commission for pushing it. If you're like we were we received several offers from different companies in the mail following our purchases.
If you read the fine print on those warranties you likely notice that their exclusions are a much longer list than the inclusions.
If you're somewhat a handyman, physically able, have basic electrical, plumbing & periodic maintenance skills & have the tools you'll probably be better off putting some $$ aside for anything major & take care of the rest yourself & skip the extended warranty.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

How much does an extended warranty cost? If the dealer is on the hook to fix things for a year and the appliances covered for two and the roof for over a decade say you call a mobile tech to fix something... he charges you a couple hundred bucks. Since this isn't likely to be a regular thing, wouldn't it be better to put the amount you are spending on a monthly basis in to an emergency fund and pay the mobile tech out of this fund? Then at the end of the term of the extended policy, what you haven't spent from this fund will be bonus money for you and not Good Sam. Just a personal opinion as I fix most my stuff myself.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
How much does an extended warranty cost? If the dealer is on the hook to fix things for a year and the appliances covered for two and the roof for over a decade say you call a mobile tech to fix something... he charges you a couple hundred bucks. Since this isn't likely to be a regular thing, wouldn't it be better to put the amount you are spending on a monthly basis in to an emergency fund and pay the mobile tech out of this fund? Then at the end of the term of the extended policy, what you haven't spent from this fund will be bonus money for you and not Good Sam. Just a personal opinion as I fix most my stuff myself.
I agree it makes more sense. Just like most extended car warranties it's a gamble and typically the house wins. I think many folks are maxed out finacially and for "only $20or $30/month more you can have this great warranty so you don't have to pay for repairs." Then when you calculate that out over a 120 month loan the fiance charges eat you alive.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Or you call the dealer from out of state, tell them you want "abc" trailer and give you their best shot, agree on price then have new tires installed, mattress removed and replaced then the Good Sam plan figured in the price before it ever moved then drive ALL the way back to do a PDI, cut a check and take the trailer. No worries about wasting money because I wanted it and it's done; sort of like the new brakes and suspension - I'm happy.

The above does not work for everyone and can't/won't but at this stage in life I don't try to second guess what I want but I don't think everyone should do it. I used to abhor the thought of buying an extended warranty, and in the end they are wasted money probably 80% of the time, BUT "wasted money", "peace of mind", "spending some of the kids future money".....who cares as long as I don't....right? It's all in the mindset. JMO
Old 08-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #8
CajunAsian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The dealer wants like $4300 for seven years and good sam is $5100 for 6. But yes, the dealer wants it paid up front which goes into the financing which equals more in fees paid for the life of loan. Good Same wants it monthly or quarterly.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
Javi

Figure out what the payment is on the extended warranty and then put that money in a savings account each month... 99% chance that you will have a nice down-payment on your next RV in a couple of years..

Buy the extended warranty and 99% chance you'll have pissed the money away in a couple of years.. ��
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Maybe....might be pissed away but a lot can happen in 7 years vs 2,
Old 08-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Maybe....might be pissed away but a lot can happen in 7 years vs 2,
6 years is the longest I've ever kept an RV ��

$30×12=$360
$360×7=$2520
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
6 years is the longest I've ever kept an RV ��

$30×12=$360
$360×7=$2520

Yep, I've never kept one long either but we decided we're not getting another, and although I'm positive I'll live forever DW has convinced me we probably won't. This one will last us and $2520, saved $30 mo., just doesn't make sense to me - especially when the "oops" happens in year 3.

We can all determine what we want, can afford, what makes us feel "better". Might be ice cream for some, alcohol, etc. etc. and what then is a "waste" in that person's opinion. If $30mo. or 2520 is a big deal probably don't want an extended plan and get a few more tools....and another orthopedic surgeon, physical therapist etc. I'm going with paying a few bucks for an extended warranty, others can do what they want. Waste in one person's eyes has nothing to do with the next guy; sort of like loving a Ford vs a Ram vs a GM.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #13
Canonman

We bought the "Extended Warranty" Camping World insurance policy with our Cougar. It has actually worked for a couple of things over the past 6 years. I don't think it paid for itself but we were able to pay cash in the beginning so no added finance costs. It just seems like they exclude so much and if the dealer is less than willing to jump through the claim hoops your kind of S.O.L.
Honestly, I think we were lucky to get anything covered and probably wouldn't have except that our dealer went to bat for us and pushed the issues.
My advice to Cajun; make sure the dealer has a solid service group that works well, often and successfully with the insurance/warranty company.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0962.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	35288  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #14
foneguy

i bought mine from the dealer
so here is the list or repairs i did not pay for

microwave replaced
exterior awning control x3
awning fabricx2
complete awning
furnace circuit board
tv antennae
2 slide out motors

all at our seasonal camp site!
foneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #15
lewy64

I say get a savings account and put that amount they would charge you a month and put it in the account every month. Most ppl who buy these really dont get out what they pay into it. More than likely pay out of pocket costs for uncovered things. I put $100 in my savings account every month. I do however have a 800+ credit score so financing any repair would be no problem.
lewy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #16
tanglemoose

We bought dealer extended warranty last cougar, used for small amount once, they allowed mobile to come out as we were 200 miles from home. Nice part, when we sold rv, we recovered some of our warranty $ or new owners could have taken it over...
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #17
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunAsian View Post
Good Morning All,

I bought the dealer extended warranty, but did not pay near the full retail for it. I have always found the price is negotiable from a dealer, and that is another story. I have had some major repairs covered so mine has almost paid for itself, but that is not always the case. First make sure you know what is covered, exactly, and more importantly, what is NOT covered/excluded. Then make sure you know the LABOR RATE they will pay for any repairs. You will be liable for any labor cost over what they will pay. Many warranty contracts only cover a below market labor rate. That can cost you big time so make sure you understand what that is. Get a copy of the contract and study it well, before you buy it. See if they will negotiate on price. Then when you have all your information, you have to decide if it is worth it to you. “ Value” is relative. Especially on this kind of stuff. I am too old to be climbing around trying to do a lot of mechanical repairs like I used to. I still do simple stuff but climbing around on the roof and having to climb around on a ladder, I gave that up too. Whatever warranty company it is, they have to comply with the contract. Some are easy to work with, some are a real pain. Only you can decide if its worth it to you, but read all the fine print, ask questions on things your not sure about, and ask the “what if’s”. Call the warranty company directly for those. Don’t depend on the dealer for that. They are NOT the warrenty company. The other thing is try to get as much warranty work done in one visit as possible. Typically, there is one deductible per visit, either dealer or mobile tech. If its a critical part or emergency repair, you can’t help that, but if you can wait and get several things fixed at once, that can save you some bucks with one deductible. I’m glad I had mine. I hope this helps.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote