Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2021, 06:28 PM   #81
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What's "really cool" (it is COLD 200' above the water) but what's really cool, is to go across the bridge on a motorcycle, in a short sleeve shirt when it's 85F in Mackinaw City and it's 55F between the towers on the bridge.... BRRRRRRR

And that doesn't include the "pucker factor" when the concrete outside lane is closed for road repairs and you've got to drive on the "squiggly metal grate lane"... Look down and it's 200' of "nothing but air until you get to the water" .....

We towed across the bridge yesterday afternoon with the fifth wheel and the boat behind it. It was "gusty, but not too bad at the top"... I remember one time, towing the Springdale across the bridge, we were hit by a "hellacious gust of wind" at the top and it blew the trailer door open. No way to stop, no way to close the door, so we "flopped for almost 3 miles" hoping not to lose everything we had in the trailer as the wind pushed the trailer from one side of the lane to the other. That trip, the center lanes were closed for repairs, so we were "stuck towing "next to the long way down side of the bridge"....
I lived in Michigan back in 1989 till '91. I clearly remember the story of a woman blowing off of the bridge while she was traveling north. She was close to the middle of the bridge. I don't remember the exact year, but it was between those years I lived there. It was a small car, I believe it was a Yugo.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:33 PM   #82
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I lived in Michigan back in 1989 till '91. I clearly remember the story of a woman blowing off of the bridge while she was traveling north. She was close to the middle of the bridge. I don't remember the exact year, but it was between those years I lived there. It was a small car, I believe it was a Yugo.

Or maybe a "smart car";......oh wait, I think that was before their time.....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:04 PM   #83
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
We like it too but I gotta tell you, it's pucker time when I cross the bridge.

I have an irrational fear that when I get to the top of the bridge (any arcing bridge) the rest of it will be gone.
You can laugh, I said it was irrational.

Try it on a motorcycle. Especially on a metal grid bridge deck.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:13 PM   #84
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
That incident was, I believe, the only accidental death from "going over the edge"... It was in September, 1989 and she was driving a Yugo. Witnesses reported the car veered out of control, then hit the bridge railing head on, skidded along the railing for about 40' before it hit a vertical cable and then went over the edge, fell 150' to the water's surface. It was found 4 days later in about 100' of water with the Yugo badly crushed and her body inside.

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe her car was "blown off the bridge" rather it was attributed to mechanical problems with a "imported car known for mechanical problems". Typically, if there is a problem with high winds, the bridge is shut down to all traffic, so I'd suspect that if gusting winds were that dangerous, nobody would be traveling on the bridge...

Her family still has a "memorial observation" ever September in remembrance of the accident.

https://www.tctimes.com/news/remembe...1deb9664f.html

One other vehicle "fell from the bridge in 1997". It was a SUV driven by a 25 year old man. The investigation concluded that was a suicide, not an accident.

There have been a couple of "large semi truck/trailers that have blown over" while on the bridge, but they did not fall into the water, rather they were caught by the vertical cables supporting the bridge and were recovered.... I can only imagine being in a semi cab with all that glass and laying at a 45 degree angle, looking over the side at the water 200' below.... I'd imagine I'd need clean underwear after they got me out of the truck !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck on bridge.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	35455  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #85
mcomeaux

RV Friendly Gas

Traveling I got a Pacific Pride and a CFN card. With a 41ft 5'er its alot easier to navigate in and out and their everywhere...
Old 08-26-2021, 08:40 PM   #86
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That incident was, I believe, the only accidental death from "going over the edge"... It was in September, 1989 and she was driving a Yugo. Witnesses reported the car veered out of control, then hit the bridge railing head on, skidded along the railing for about 40' before it hit a vertical cable and then went over the edge, fell 150' to the water's surface. It was found 4 days later in about 100' of water with the Yugo badly crushed and her body inside.

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe her car was "blown off the bridge" rather it was attributed to mechanical problems with a "imported car known for mechanical problems". Typically, if there is a problem with high winds, the bridge is shut down to all traffic, so I'd suspect that if gusting winds were that dangerous, nobody would be traveling on the bridge...

Her family still has a "memorial observation" ever September in remembrance of the accident.

https://www.tctimes.com/news/remembe...1deb9664f.html

One other vehicle "fell from the bridge in 1997". It was a SUV driven by a 25 year old man. The investigation concluded that was a suicide, not an accident.

There have been a couple of "large semi truck/trailers that have blown over" while on the bridge, but they did not fall into the water, rather they were caught by the vertical cables supporting the bridge and were recovered.... I can only imagine being in a semi cab with all that glass and laying at a 45 degree angle, looking over the side at the water 200' below.... I'd imagine I'd need clean underwear after they got me out of the truck !!!!!
Just goes to show you that "News Headlines" always go for the sensational angle. The Detroit Free Press just said the car blew over the rail. I went back to research that just a bit ago. I was surprised that I remembered it was indeed a Yugo. The article I just read indicated that her speed AND the combination of high winds caused her to careen out of control and slam into the middle median. Then she swerved towards the edge and launched over. Needless to say that version of the story was probably days later on page C-12. Not sure if the car had any mechanical problems, but those cars were known to be mechanical nightmares. Let's face it, you know there's an issue with those cars when Consumer Reports stated that "if your buying a car for $4500 dollars, it had better be a used car"
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #87
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Just goes to show you that "News Headlines" always go for the sensational angle. The Detroit Free Press just said the car blew over the rail. I went back to research that just a bit ago. I was surprised that I remembered it was indeed a Yugo. The article I just read indicated that her speed AND the combination of high winds caused her to careen out of control and slam into the middle median. Then she swerved towards the edge and launched over. Needless to say that version of the story was probably days later on page C-12. Not sure if the car had any mechanical problems, but those cars were known to be mechanical nightmares. Let's face it, you know there's an issue with those cars when Consumer Reports stated that "if your buying a car for $4500 dollars, it had better be a used car"
I had a 1988 Yugo. I bought it new at M&M Dodge/Yugo in Alexandria, LA. It was a metallic blue 4 speed with air conditioning. OTD price was $1888. I drove it for 3 years while commuting to college and my son drove it for another 4 years when he went to LSU. We had about 130K miles on it when we sold it for $1000. I'll admit it had some initial problems that the dealer fixed. The only "real problem" was front tires. It would go through a set in about 10K miles, regardless of brand. But, the 13" tires were only about $20 each back then. Would I buy another Yugo? Probably not, but it was CHEAP to buy and CHEAPER to run, regardless of the reputation, mine did what it was advertised to do. (go from point A to point B with "no frills")....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #88
jfk69

Since I have a very serious fear of heights, every time I cross the Mackinaw bridge, I’m the guy riding the lane divider on the left if I’m forced to be in the right lane lol. I hate the 200’ drop, but I absolutely love the elegant design of that bridge. It’s simply beautiful. When I first saw the Golden Gate Bridge I was like “meh”. It pales in comparison.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:14 PM   #89
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
Try it on a motorcycle. Especially on a metal grid bridge deck.
Quite a few years ago I lived in Maryland and worked for the Fed. The drive over the Bay Bridge (long and just a grate and sways in the wind) was terrifying. It was a long way down to the ocean below and what was worse is that I could see the ocean below and the grate made the bike kind of shimmy/wiggle just a little and that made things VERY disoncerting.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:15 PM   #90
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Quite a few years ago I lived in Maryland and worked for the Fed. The drive over the Bay Bridge (long and just a grate and sways in the wind) was terrifying. It was a long way down to the ocean below and what was worse is that I could see the ocean below and the grate made the bike kind of shimmy/wiggle just a little and that made things VERY disoncerting.

Even more fun with knobby/off-road tires on the bike!!

Tags
gas