Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchoco View Post
Check out rvairflow.com. they have a product that is supposed to greatly improve airflow velocity.
Unless I'm mistaken it'll only work if you have the direct pump type a/c unit, it will not work on the fully ducted system.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Unless I'm mistaken it'll only work if you have the direct pump type a/c unit, it will not work on the fully ducted system.
That's correct
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:37 AM   #23
RickV

Just wanted to report back on my results. Since I taped the gaps in the vents my temps at the vents has dropped around 5 degrees. I have one of those Laser Temp Guns and checking the vents in the kitchen area I was getting around 55-58 now getting around 47-50, in the bedroom I was getting 46-49 I am now getting 42-43. Where I am at, I am in direct sunlight and yesterday it got up to 100 degrees in the afternoon and the ACs were able to keep up and it never got above 80 in the 5er. ChuckS posted a link to a video showing a 2021 Alpine AC return box cleanup, resealing and taping procedure which I will do when I get home in November. The temps here in Piedmont, SD are supposed to drop down in to more tolerable levels for the 9 days we have left here so we should be good from now until we get back home.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:59 AM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Ended up going to Menards because I wanted to also pickup a roll of Reflectix and Lowe's didn't have the width I wanted. Hey Javi, the roll of HVAC tape I got at Menards didn't say anything about temporary. . All 9 ducts are sealed. The DW says it feels like there is more air coming out of the vents. I checked the vents with my laser temp gun and they are few degrees colder . The Reflectix dropped the temps on the Windows I put it on by 10 degrees.
Well you have a long 5er the Reflectix will help, it appears your 5er is also a lighter color which helps. Other things that help are a clean white roof and slide toppers.
The biggest issue is the amount of direct sunlight your rig is getting. We were in a sight last month and even in 100 degree our single 15K AC would keep us in the mid 70's. The sight we are currently gets more direct sunlight and we climb into the mid 80's at temps near 100.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:26 AM   #25
Jimmy240

I taped up my A/C vents the other day, which was certainly needed. Yesterday I removed my floor heater vents to vacuum up the dirt and dog hair and found that they were just as bad. I had to push the tape down around the underside of the ducting as it was blocking probably half the size of the ducting. Plus the rear vent had tons of wood shavings and an actual chunk of particle board (3in X 1in) in there.
Jimmy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy240 View Post
I taped up my A/C vents the other day, which was certainly needed. Yesterday I removed my floor heater vents to vacuum up the dirt and dog hair and found that they were just as bad. I had to push the tape down around the underside of the ducting as it was blocking probably half the size of the ducting. Plus the rear vent had tons of wood shavings and an actual chunk of particle board (3in X 1in) in there.
For many people, if "dog hair and dirt" are an issue on the floor vents, you might also want to check the furnace "squirrel cage blower". There is no furnace filter on any RV furnace, so that same "dog hair and dirt" is drawn into the furnace and will, over time, significantly reduce the blower efficiency. I've seen some that were "almost completely covered with lint. A quick cleaning and the amount of air flow at the floor registers was double or triple the "pre cleaning velocity"....

To answer the "next obvious question": No, there is no provision to add a furnace filter and most (maybe all if you dig deep enough) owner's manuals warn against installing any device that can reduce airflow through the furnace system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:12 AM   #27
Skippy38

I checked all of my vents and retaped them, along with blocking a dead duct run behind a vent and taping it. It has made a HUGE difference in airflow. I am in Florida and it is really hot lol
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:25 PM   #28
Danimal713

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchoco View Post
Check out rvairflow.com. they have a product that is supposed to greatly improve airflow velocity.
I had found that product/URL from a different YouTube video following the bouncing ball. I liked the idea but choked on the $170 price tag. I contacted the helpline (email) and they couldn't determine if it would work on our unit. They gave measurements which when I checked it seems the unit on our camper was installed about 1 1/2" off center from hole in roof. The result was the squirrel cage fan could not push fully into the 5 1/2" duct opening (should have been a little over 7"). I am very handy and good at problem solving so I went to scrap box and got a short 2x4 and cut a wedge on top of 45 degrees each direction effectively splitting the airflow from the squirrel cage and directing it towards each vent. I also used HVAC silver foil tape (3M purchased at Lowe's) to seal all areas where roof and opening meet. I also used dense closed cell foam weather stripping to seal around the cover and ceiling. it used to whistle and PO had put duct tape on end of dump vent to ceiling. After good sealing, no more whistling and much more airflow from all vents. Total cost might be close to $170 with the price of wood during COVID. It was about a 6" long scrap of 2x4. That stuff is like gold now!
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent