Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
Fishsizzle

Zion, what to expect

We have a trip to Zion this Oct.

I’ve been pouring over videos and blogs, but we are kinda treating this as an overview trip and no real extensive hiking (Angels landing is out)

Are there can’t miss things to see? We are staying about 1.5 hours away, but thinking of cutting our trip up north (Bryce) down and trying to stay a little closer.

Any insight would be great.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:04 PM   #2
xrated

One of the things we are planning on doing while at Zion (sept this year) is to get up early one morning and drive over to Sunrise Point and watch the sunrise. I have a pic on my computer and it is absolutely breathtaking. Then, in the evening we will drive over to Sunset Point and watch it go down....again, breathtaking.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
One of the things we are planning on doing while at Zion (sept this year) is to get up early one morning and drive over to Sunrise Point and watch the sunrise. I have a pic on my computer and it is absolutely breathtaking. Then, in the evening we will drive over to Sunset Point and watch it go down....again, breathtaking.
You might check, I believe those 2 places are in Bryce Canyon I believe. They are likewise on our list. Along with Navajo trail to bottom
Old 07-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Canonman

For me, Zion is out until October due to excessive crowds. I'd recommend spending more time in and around Bryce.
In Zion, the Canyon overlook is a great viewing spot. the Emerald Pools trails are great as well as Grotto and Weeping Rock. (Due to recent heavy rains, some of these trails are closed right now but may be open by the time you get there). If you're feeling adventurous, the Riverside Walk is really pretty and when you get to the end, you can continue upriver walking in the river as far as you feel like it. Did I mention Zion's is VERY CROWDED!!
Bryce is a 2 day minimum for me. The Fairyland area is really pretty as is the Peek-a-Boo trail and Queens Garden. Just a stroll along the Rim Trail is more than worth the effort. Take your time, walk slow and see everything from multiple angles. Other places to see close by are Red Canyon. Spend a day there. Very cool and not crowded. Kodachrome Basin is very unique. You'll see why if you go. Note that the recent rains have affected Bryce as well and some trails may still be closed in Sept. If you'd like more suggestions let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zion Cottonwoods 2018--7.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	621.9 KB
ID:	34979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zion Cottonwoods 2018--3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	34980   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1639.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	34981   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8153 - Version 3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	34982   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8177.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	34983  

Name:	_MG_8188 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	34984  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:23 PM   #5
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
You might check, I believe those 2 places are in Bryce Canyon I believe. They are likewise on our list. Along with Navajo trail to bottom
Yep, you are absolutely correct. I've been doing so much planning over the last several months that I guess they are starting to run together....sorry about that!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:53 PM   #6
Heavy_Chevy
Gone Traveling

Expect lots of crowds, lots of heat, drink plenty of water, ride lots of shuttle buses, and expect to be one of the only English speakers on said bus. But great views.
Heavy_Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:58 AM   #7
Fishsizzle

Thanks all. The things I want to avoid is the crowds. Because of the distance, I wasn’t sure what’s worth the drive. Also want to hit Horseshoe Bend on the way down to see friends in Yuma. Got about a week to see what I can, but not at a frantic pace as I’m trying to relax for once on a vacation.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Old 08-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
TANKSD13

We just spent 9 days in the Zion area (stayed in Virgin). Canyon Overlook is a cool, easy hike with a good view. We also hiked with 10k other people at the Narrows. It was a challenging hike with cool sights but too crowded. The highlight of our trip was hiking Bryce Canyon. We did the Sunrise, Queens Garden, Wall Street loop and it was freaking awesome! Always fun to find random hikes and places as well.
TANKSD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
mikec557

I think Bryce is the place to spend more time. Tank is right "The highlight of our trip was hiking Bryce Canyon. We did the Sunrise, Queens Garden, Wall Street loop and it was freaking awesome!" We did these hikes and it was awesome to walk among all that beauty. But the hike back up, and up, and out had me huffing and puffing. But to be fair, I'm heavy and out of shape! Lol. Highly recommend staying at Ruby's campground right at the Bryce Entrance.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #10
jaydubya8533

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I think Bryce is the place to spend more time. Tank is right "The highlight of our trip was hiking Bryce Canyon. We did the Sunrise, Queens Garden, Wall Street loop and it was freaking awesome!" We did these hikes and it was awesome to walk among all that beauty. But the hike back up, and up, and out had me huffing and puffing. But to be fair, I'm heavy and out of shape! Lol. Highly recommend staying at Ruby's campground right at the Bryce Entrance.
I can echo everything above. My family and I did the same in June, down to the huffing and puffing and being heavy (in my case anyway; my wife and boys did fine on the hikes!). The only difference was we weren't camping; we stayed at the Ruby's Inn near the entrance. Zion was very crowded and it was hard to see the good parts without hiking. Bryce was much less so.
jaydubya8533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #11
TANKSD13

Quote:
Wall Street was a tough climb but I had a smile on my face the whole way! Our next trip to Southern Utah will be split between Virgin and Ruby's. Needless to say, there is no short of outdoor activities.
TANKSD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
Fishsizzle

Awesome info. I kinda suspected this, that Zion is geared to hiking, tent camping. And with Instagram and YouTube, the crowds are awful, especially at the Narrows.

There are a few state parks we may pick up in the area instead of spending much time in Zion.

I want to hit Horseshoe Bend as well while down there
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Old 08-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
Fishsizzle

Quote:

We are odd ducks and have more than 2 dogs. Many RV parks won’t take us.

Staying at Riverside RV for the week in Hatch UT
Old 08-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #14
mikec557

Quote:
Awesome info. I kinda suspected this, that Zion is geared to hiking, tent camping. And with Instagram and YouTube, the crowds are awful, especially at the Narrows.

There are a few state parks we may pick up in the area instead of spending much time in Zion.

I want to hit Horseshoe Bend as well while down there
I don't know how far away you can go this trip, but Goblin Valley State Park UT was a lot of fun to walk. For reference, it's about 190 miles from Bryce, but maybe in the wrong direction for you. The hoodo(s)/sp are so close it's hard to take a good picture...

This is the top, at the parking lot. You walk down into and among those. They look far away but they're not. Easy hike down and back. Even for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200829_102138292.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	35132  
Old 08-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #15
Kuimonster

Are the e-bikes still everywhere??? WE go to Zion every year in October and last year the e-bikes were out of control. Buses stopped, slowed down and bikes littering every stop... so much for having passes to limit people into the canyon...

But October is a odd month to go because you never really know when it'll get cold up there and fighting to get a camp spot 6 months in advance doesn't help. One year it got down to 12 degrees and the next year it was in the 90s.. But we love zion and will continue to go every year.

Sadly Hidden Canyon is closed and the park rangers said it will probably be closed forever. One of the best hikes i think there and wasn't crowded like angels or narrows.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:07 AM   #16
skids

I recommend against Panguish campground. They pack em in so tight that we had to wait for someone to depart before we could pull our trailer out.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #17
Fishsizzle

Quote:
I don't know how far away you can go this trip, but Goblin Valley State Park UT was a lot of fun to walk. For reference, it's about 190 miles from Bryce, but maybe in the wrong direction for you. The hoodo(s)/sp are so close it's hard to take a good picture...

This is the top, at the parking lot. You walk down into and among those. They look far away but they're not. Easy hike down and back. Even for me.
I read about Goblin, and I need to do a NE Utah trip another trip. Next year going on I try and hit Yellowstone/glacier. Would love to see devils tower as well
Old 08-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #18
mikec557

Quote:
I read about Goblin, and I need to do a NE Utah trip another trip. Next year going on I try and hit Yellowstone/glacier. Would love to see devils tower as well
Others may have a different view, but I can highly recommend camping outside the north entrance to Yellowstone. We stayed in Gardiner Montana. Very easy in and out of the park. Yellowstone gates are open 24/7, we went in at the crack of dawn and left each day about 1-2pm. By then it was crazy crowded with tourists. If you can, give yourself several days to see it.

Devil's Tower is definitely worth seeing. You might want to catch a 1977 movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind before going there. And you know, The Badlands are only 140 miles further...
Old 08-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #19
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Others may have a different view, but I can highly recommend camping outside the north entrance to Yellowstone. We stayed in Gardiner Montana. Very easy in and out of the park. Yellowstone gates are open 24/7, we went in at the crack of dawn and left each day about 1-2pm. By then it was crazy crowded with tourists. If you can, give yourself several days to see it.

Devil's Tower is definitely worth seeing. You might want to catch a 1977 movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind before going there. And you know, The Badlands are only 140 miles further...
Thanks for the heads up. I remember Close Encounters well. Been awhile since I’ve seen it.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #20
RVGator

I spent 5 nights in June at the Zion River Resort and I highly recommend it. We used it as our base camp to do Zion and Bryce. The canyon overlook trail is a good one. The Narrows is very busy but we are very glad that we did it. You don’t have to do the whole thing, just do as a much as you want. Don’t worry about renting any gear. Wear good shoes that can get wet(I wore Keen Sandals), and have a good hiking stick. Bryce is really cool. The queens garden trail, Wall Street are amazing but challenging. The views from the top are breathtaking.
I would say that Zion has more to offer from a multi day perspective so spend as much time as you can. And get there EARLY!
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote