Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
doninbcs

fridge won't operate with slide out in

I have a new Keystone 5th wheel and the gas line is kinked when the slide is in so I cut a few wire ties off of the line and wire bundle to unkink it and it works fine so I called the factory and asked for the factory fix since I am sure this has happened to many units and you won't believe this,, they said it is not a problem because you are only suppose to operate the fridge with the slide out open I fell out of my chair I have owned RV's for 40 years and never heard anything so stupid from a factory in all my life so I guess they want you to carry all your food in an ice chest get to the campsite wait another 24 hours for it to cool down then put your food in the fridge it is a dometic gas / electric fridge 8 cu ft
doninbcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome to the forum! Glad you're here. You are going to be better off going through your dealer than through the factory. You're right, it's a dumb answer. Any warranty repairs would need to be initiated from the dealer anyway so I would contact them to file a claim.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doninbcs View Post
I have a new Keystone 5th wheel and the gas line is kinked when the slide is in so I cut a few wire ties off of the line and wire bundle to unkink it and it works fine so I called the factory and asked for the factory fix since I am sure this has happened to many units and you won't believe this,, they said it is not a problem because you are only suppose to operate the fridge with the slide out open I fell out of my chair I have owned RV's for 40 years and never heard anything so stupid from a factory in all my life so I guess they want you to carry all your food in an ice chest get to the campsite wait another 24 hours for it to cool down then put your food in the fridge it is a dometic gas / electric fridge 8 cu ft

What? You mean you actually don't carry all your food in an ice chest while traveling and just use the fridge for a pantry?!!

In all seriousness 1) you need to talk to your dealer to get a more accurate answer, 2) the person you talked to probably doesn't know an RV slide from a water slide and 3) every Keystone I've owned that had appliances in a slide had them routed through a Lippert "flex guard" folding apparatus under the slide. You can order them through Amazon - maybe they forgot yours??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
doninbcs

went by the dealership they were no help at all
Old 07-16-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
went by the dealership they were no help at all

Are you talking with the service manager? If so and he has no clue, and won't investigate, makes me think he's in the wrong job. Did you look into the flex guard I mentioned?
Old 07-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
doninbcs

He said what I did for the fix sounds good to him and said he has not seen this in another unit
Old 07-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Did you congratulate him on his first day on the job? Time to escelate up to the general manager.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
He said what I did for the fix sounds good to him and said he has not seen this in another unit

I would question this guys expertise. First your LP line and other associated lines should not be bundled up and twist tied together with "wire". Secondly, just undoing the wires and letting those hoses/cables hang free is not the optimum solution IMO.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #9
gearhead

Your dealer is not in Katy is it?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
GaryUT

Quote:
That's funny, when I had the same problem the service manager called the tech over and told him they had another Laredo with a kinked propane line. The tech's response was imagine that.

Its a common and ongoing problem.

The dealer fix was to remove some of the zip ties from the spring and space the rest out.

Unfortunately in my case the rear jack and tire prevent using one of the plastic bows to support the line and the wires.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kinking.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	730.0 KB
ID:	34744   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixed.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	34745  

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #11
doninbcs

Thanks Gary finally someone with the exact same issue and my fix was what your obviously good dealership did The factory folks are a complete joke
Old 07-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #12
jsb5717

It's not they they are a joke. The folks at the factory that will answer the phone are not the subject matter experts. They will almost always direct you back to your dealer or authorized service tech. Unless there is a catastrophic issue, they simply won't take on after-sales service. They aren't equipped for it. The dealers are obligated to handle warranty and non-warranty service for the products they sell. Some are just better than others at providing good customer service in the process.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #13
Mikelff

Quote:
Depending on how severe the kink is, you now have a weak spot in your gas line. Over time, if it keeps bending at the kink spot, could develop a leak or crack. Make sure it’s not flexing/ bending at the kink. You need to inspect the line to make sure there are no issues in the line where the kink is. This is a dealer issue to fix. The customer service people at Keystone are the dullest tools in the shed. Sometimes they don't even qualify as tools in the shed. Just the air in the shed.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:15 PM   #14
AndyM

I have the same issue. I was tempted to take it to the dealer for repair, but decided to just cut the tie wraps and relocate them so the line no longer kinks. Frustrating design flaw. I have a Cougar 366RDS.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #15
notanlines

Just to poke a stick at a barking dog, how have all of you found tech service at the Keystone factory when calling compared to the tech service you received when calling Detroit about your truck? Just curious….
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #16
dutchmensport

My refrigerator is all electric, not gas. It also has an ice maker. The water line that runs from the frame, under the slide, and into the floor of the slide is supported by a spring that resembles and old fashioned spring on an outside porch door. It's zip tied to the spring in about 5 places. When the slide is extended, the spring is extended also and the hose is straight (40 inches long) from the frame to the outside wall of the slide. When the slide is retracted, the spring is relaxed (pulled up), and the water hose folds up under the slide out of the way and does not dangle down.

Anyway, it's just a thought if you are looking for an easy way to support the gas line with a very easy modification.

In this photo, you can see the spring. My original water line developed a leak and I had to replace it temporarily with a different one that was longer than 40 inches until I got the right one. But you can see the spring. Just zip tie the flexible gas line to the spring in the extended position, and let the spring do the work for you.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Just to poke a stick at a barking dog, how have all of you found tech service at the Keystone factory when calling compared to the tech service you received when calling Detroit about your truck? Just curious….
Last time I bought a stick of lumber from HD I had a problem with it. I first called the lumberjack that fut down the tree but never hot a call back. Then I called the sawmill but they hung up on me. Weyerhaeuser was no help either. Finally called HD and they said bring it back to the store gor a replacement or a refund.

Imagine that!
Old 09-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #18
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Last time I bought a stick of lumber from HD I had a problem with it. I first called the lumberjack that fut down the tree but never hot a call back. Then I called the sawmill but they hung up on me. Weyerhaeuser was no help either. Finally called HD and they said bring it back to the store gor a replacement or a refund.

Imagine that!
If your going to be a smartass, you should at least learn how to spell first.
And as for going to/calling the dealer they are about as knowledgeable/helpful as these smartass remarks.
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
And as for going to/calling the dealer they are about as knowledgeable/helpful as these smartass remarks.

All depends on the dealer and/or who you talk to at the dealer. I deal with some very knowledgeable folks at mine.

As far as the remarks, they made me smile after standing in 98 degree weather all day scrubbing the RV roof then washing the trailer.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:24 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaElkHunter View Post
Sorry if being realistic is upsetting and the spelling errors are irritating to you. I dislike spelling errors as well but I'm certianly not alone in that issue while using my tablet. So I'll just say this, to TT`s point I think calling and emailing Keystone for so many of the reasons we see here is just as ludicrous as calling Detroit before contacting the dealer. If the issue is the dealer then call the manufacturer but the manufacturer should not be your first point of contact.

If I've offended your sensability in expecting Keystone to "solve all customer issues" at the corporate level then I apologize.

Tags
fridge, slide, slide out