Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
PSD Andy

Vinyl Trim Cover in aluminum gutters

I'm replacing the 1" wide vinyl strip that covers the screw heads in the gutters over the slideouts and along the roof edge to wall corner. The factory used a screw on each end to secure it. However the factory stuff ripped it self apart when it shrunk lengthwise. All trim pieces shrunk about 4-6" in length. Not sure if that's typical of this vinyl material or if somebody had a bad day on the assembly line or did the factory get a bad batch of material?

So what is the correct method, screw at each end or screw at one end towards tow vehicle(so highway winds wont' blow it out of the track) and let the other end expand and contract or a screw at each end like the factory did?
Old 07-05-2021, 06:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Screw at each end. If you bought the vinyl and not the plastic, you’ll find it lasts a lot longer without shrinking.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

First, use a screwdriver and make sure all the screws in the channel are tight and not "showing signs of rust". replace, seal and tighten any that need attention. Then:

I start by cutting one end so it will "fold under itself" and install a screw at that "doubled under itself end", then slip the trim molding into the slots on the aluminum channel WITHOUT STRETCHING IT ANY AT ALL.... Then when I get to the other end, I cut it as long as possible, trim and fold the end under and run a screw through that end too. You should use the same screw holes that the factory used to anchor the vinyl trim pieces.

The vinyl or plastic trim cover will shrink some. Plastic shrinks significantly more than the vinyl does. Both will pull away from the ends of the aluminum channel unless anchored and if either is "stretched during installation" it is very likely to split and pull out of the anchor screws.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #4
PSD Andy

Thank you both for the input. The screws still look like new and check out as tight still, so were good there. The factory had big gobs of silicone on each end I've cleaned off and the folding the ends over is great idea.

The dealership sold me JR Products brand Vinyl insert and recommended it over the Camco brand. The factory stuff is so hard and brittle just after 3 years this new stuff is much more pliable from JR. Its not terrible repair work, but if JR lasts longer and/or is easier to install I'm all for it even it costs a little more.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You're in "minnie soda" so I'm surprised that you've had problems with the trim screw cover this soon. My 2014 is still "on the OEM vinyl trim and going strong with no issues"... Anyway, it's an easy repair and the JR trim is one of the aftermarket brands that I have used with good success.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:19 AM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD Andy View Post
Thank you both for the input. The screws still look like new and check out as tight still, so were good there. The factory had big gobs of silicone on each end I've cleaned off and the folding the ends over is great idea.

The dealership sold me JR Products brand Vinyl insert and recommended it over the Camco brand. The factory stuff is so hard and brittle just after 3 years this new stuff is much more pliable from JR. Its not terrible repair work, but if JR lasts longer and/or is easier to install I'm all for it even it costs a little more.
Good details from all here. Thank you for this. Yesterday I discovered the plastic trim from factory (2 years old) split at the front about 8 inches back and has just pulled away at the rear on the off-door side at the roof. That side has predominantly faced west while not being used.

I needed a replacement section in the next two days, we leave for GA on Thursday. Amazon had a roll of 100' vinyl for about $19 arriving Tuesday. I called the dealer, no stock. The Amazon stuff will get me through the rest of this summer and I'll request a roll or two of the good stuff from Santa in December. I'll make a day of it to change it when the temps and humidity fall to within reasonable limits.

(I doubt what Amazon is sending is anything close to this JR brand mentioned here)

Folding over the ends... that makes good sense. Thanks for that tip too, John!
Old 09-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
dadnjesse

https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1...av_signin&th=1
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:37 AM   #8
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
Thanks for that link. I wasn’t searching under JR products in a rush to get something in before we left. I’ll order it when we return. What I put on will last for the remainder of the year then I’ll replace both sides, front and rear covers.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover