Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
gearhead

RV insurance?

State Farm cancelled my 5th insurance. Our auto insurance with them can't be cancelled. I've had 2 relatively minor claims on my truck, both non moving accidents on private property with no other car involved and no police called. We had a home owners claim caused by leaking refrigerator water tubing. Also had 5th damage from the tire blowout last summer. I have until July 25 to find a new carrier. My agent suggested Good Sam.
Anyone have insurance they like or hate?
50 years with State Farm. Probably not much longer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
notanlines

We have had Geico for 46 years....great service. Couldn’t be better. Homeowners insurance was State Farm until three years ago. Just too darn high. Told ‘em kiss my grits!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suggest getting a quote from several insurance carriers. Many of them are "underwritten by the same carrier" (Good Sam and GEICO I believe are both underwritten by Hartford Insurance). State Farm and Allstate AFAIK do their own underwriting.

Progressive, at least in Michigan, is cheaper than anything I've found for "better coverage". We've only had one claim, in 2013, when that tree fell on our Springdale. Progressive's claims agent "met me at the RV service center" and approved the claim before I had the trailer unhitched in the parking lot. The only thing they didn't approve as "damaged" and reimburse me for, was a $39 woven "under awning mat" that we bought from WalMart. The mat had a puncture in it from a broken branch. The claims agent agreed that it was "damaged, probably from the incident" but he wouldn't pay for a new one "because it wasn't a part of the trailer or attached to the trailer"... I didn't argue, but feel that if I'd have been more vocal, he'd have relented. As it was, they paid over $12K to repair a $20K trailer.... We were probably very close to the "total vs repair cutoff" so I didn't want to push it too far. Our intent was to get the trailer back and sell it for more than we paid for it rather than "lose it to wholesale value"... But, all in all, Progressive treated us well with that claim. We still have the same type policy on our Cougar.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
travelin texans

The tire damage is what prompted the 5th wheel cancellation?
Why can't you cancel the auto coverage?
We've had SF for 40+ years as well & agree they are getting expensive. Last year I got quotes from Progressive, Geico & Liberty (the one with the emu), none could bet, or even come near, what we had with SF.
I won't bother to put in print my opinion of Allstate!!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Brent call Geico. I've had superior luck with them. I, like you, had insurance on all kinds of properties/vehicles and RVs with State Farm. They nickeled and dimed me to death; didn't like to honor ANY claim; sent me a dozen "updates" adding more and more exclusions to my policies. 25-30 years; just a blind loyal customer. When I got tired of them I called around and was shocked that Geico was far....WAY cheaper than State Farm. To top that off, even though I had an agent here that I dealt with for many years, Geico beats State Farm hands down all the way around. Did I say call Geico?

As a note: I've had to file a damage claim on the RV for a blowout; 7k settlement (way more than fair) and I wasn't even there when they wrote the check to the dealer. Roof (on home) got hit by hail; some dots here and there....they totaled it and gave me a new roof - no questions, no hassle. In comparison every single claim I filed with State Farm was a problem. I could go on about those but.....did I say call Geico?

Had Progressive on everything for a while but when my boat hit a submerged "something", the skeg ripped off, prop tore up and bent prop shaft....and a young lady adjuster came out to deny that the prop shaft was bent (when it had about a 20 degree bend in it) requiring me and the SM at the dealership to argue that issue (she didn't know an I/O from a SkiDoo) I said no more. Good Luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

We have had Allstate home/auto insurance for the last 21 years. No claims, and funny but the DW and I were discussing what might happen if we did.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #7
JDDilly

We had Allstate for close to 30 years, with minimal claims (3 teenage drivers!). Last year I decided to check around and contacted a local broker that deals with 15 different companies. My RV insurance is a lot better coverage for about 1/2 the money through progressive.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
We have had Allstate home/auto insurance for the last 21 years. No claims, and funny but the DW and I were discussing what might happen if we did.
You'll be deemed "high risk" with premiums tripled.
My in laws had Allstate forever with no claims, had 2 claims on their auto paying out less than $1000 for both claims, they were notified they were high risk policy holders & premiums went sky high, to which the inlaws told them where to file that policy.
My experience was nearly the same. After about 10-12 years with Allstate they paid out a couple VERY small claims with the same high risk notification & the same immediate policy cancelation on my part.
I agree they offer "accident forgiveness", but come premium renewal time they most certainly have not "forgotten" about that accident.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #9
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The tire damage is what prompted the 5th wheel cancellation?
Why can't you cancel the auto coverage?
We've had SF for 40+ years as well & agree they are getting expensive. Last year I got quotes from Progressive, Geico & Liberty (the one with the emu), none could bet, or even come near, what we had with SF.
I won't bother to put in print my opinion of Allstate!!!!!
Apparently the 5th blowout was the tipping point.
I can cancel my car insurance but STATE FARM can't. I don't know why. Maybe since we have been with them so long.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 05-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #10
rhagfo

We full time and have Foremost, much like a homeowners policy.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

We use Nationwide for home, truck, RV, Harley, and pets. In our area they were much better than SF. Vanishing deductible is nice.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #12
Javi

Geico is who I use. Auto and 5th wheel
Old 06-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #13
gearhead

Went with GEICO this morning. They didn't seem too concerned about the claim on the 5th. Charged about a $28 penalty for it. Gave us a little discount for Betty being a schoolteacher, so it about evened out. Very close to the State Farm price.
I got quotes from Good Sam and Progressive. Both about double what GEICO is and State Farm was.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #14
Badbart56

Had Allstate for a long time. But last July a limb fell on my truck causing damage to the roof and hood, broke the windshield. My truck sat at the body shop from the last week of July until November because Allstate wouldn't send a claims adjuster out to look at it due to COVID-19! They wanted pictures and the pictures were never good enough. (Black truck, go figure) Long story short, we went with Auto Owners Insurance in January when we bought the new house and our auto insurance is literally HALF what it was with Allstate! I'll never go back to Allstate again. They wouldn't answer my emails, wouldn't return phone calls. Dead to me!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Insurance rates vary by state so suggestions from non-Texans can only reflect their company's performance and not value. If you are being dropped by State Farm, this will likely impact your new premiums with another company. A good idea is to NOT use the online quote requests because some of the companies WILL pull your credit history and this will adversely reflect in your credit score. I have my truck insured with The Hartford and found I could add my camper as a rider to that policy. Since I have a basically and old and not very valuable camper I can afford to more or less take my chances. I had Progressive and while they offer great customer service and did pay claims on both my trike and camper quickly and fairly, they jacked up my rates on the camper during the covid downtime and that irritated me. Other companies were giving customers who couldn't use their campers a break during the pandemic. Still have Progressive on my trike.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:57 AM   #16
gearhead

I did on line quotes from Good Sam, Progressive, and Geico. Talked in person to Good Sam. They were over $2,000 per year. They did seem to load up the policy with a lot of extras though. Talked in person to GEICO this morning. Gave them the VIN on the 5th and they pulled up the tire blowout claim. Also pulled the claims on the truck. Two private property claims on me backing into a pole and jack knifing a utility trailer into my fender.
Good Sam and Progressive were $2,000+ per year. GEICO is $560 per 6 months, paid in advance which is the same as State Farm. State Farm had the 5th insured for $131,000 value. Not sure what GEICO will use. Agent on the phone said they will use "about" what NADA is.
GEICO has road service for $3 month. Anyone use it? I wouldn't expect much.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I did on line quotes from Good Sam, Progressive, and Geico. Talked in person to Good Sam. They were over $2,000 per year. They did seem to load up the policy with a lot of extras though. Talked in person to GEICO this morning. Gave them the VIN on the 5th and they pulled up the tire blowout claim. Also pulled the claims on the truck. Two private property claims on me backing into a pole and jack knifing a utility trailer into my fender.
Good Sam and Progressive were $2,000+ per year. GEICO is $560 per 6 months, paid in advance which is the same as State Farm. State Farm had the 5th insured for $131,000 value. Not sure what GEICO will use. Agent on the phone said they will use "about" what NADA is.
GEICO has road service for $3 month. Anyone use it? I wouldn't expect much.

I've only used a roadside service twice in my life. I carry 4 different roadside plans (5 counting the one on the 4 runner). In those 2 times all of them (tried Geico, Good Sam and Chrysler) had about the same responses. Of course my issues always seem to happen in the middle of nowhere. On one of the occasions Geico said their closest responder said it would be 4 hours. Told them I couldn't do that. Called Good Sam...the same. Changed it myself.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:22 AM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've only used a roadside service twice in my life. I carry 4 different roadside plans (5 counting the one on the 4 runner). In those 2 times all of them (tried Geico, Good Sam and Chrysler) had about the same responses. Of course my issues always seem to happen in the middle of nowhere. On one of the occasions Geico said their closest responder said it would be 4 hours. Told them I couldn't do that. Called Good Sam...the same. Changed it myself.
After my bad experience with Good Sam between Farmington and Bernalillo I don't trust them much. GEICO just sounds too cheap. I'll look over the details when I get the policy.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 06-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #19
notanlines

We've used Geico Roadside twice. Once when broken down with the RV in Minnesota on a Sunday. Lady at Geico said get it towed and send us the bill. The tow was $325 and his tip $50.00. Geico paid in four days. My daughter had our tire changed on the car at a concert, no problem. Been with them 40 some years and no problems.
By the way, you guys (and gals) at Mankato Ford, don't think I've forgotten my good service! Kudos to all of you!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

I have GS Roadside Assistance, never used it. Last flat tire was probably 10 yrs ago with a previous camper. With the Trailer Aid Plus ramp and the Dewalt 20 volt impact gun I can pretty much get a tire changed by the time the DW can find yhe phone number and find out where we are to tell the person on the phone.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote