Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
livefreeordie

need comparison

I have been looking for a fifth wheel for years that is 4 season liveable and well built. Once I got over my toy hauler mindset, I settled on a Montana 3455SA. Just as I was about to finalize deal here in MI another dealer said they had a comparable unit in a Alpine 3450RL. I am so tired of re reading details on heat ,quality etc. Can someone help me understand the difference between the two? i know the quality is good on both but there must be some other defining character I am missing!
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
geo

Montana vs. Alpine

Livefreeordie -

This topic has had some discussion on the forum before, see the thread:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4037

The Alpine seems to be positioned between the Big Sky and the Montana with some (IMHO) major differences, specifically the insulation. Admittedly, neither of these three models are DRV Dreamsuites, but they don't carry the hefty price tag or hefty weight either.

As you can see, my DW and I have a 2011 Alpine 3640RL. Overall, we are very happy with it. Sure, it had a couple of "surprises", specifically a kink in the fresh water fill line, at first. But like many on the forum, I'm fairly handy. And like others, I can't leave well enough alone, so I have modified and added to the fiver. You will find my modifications and others' modifications if you look through the pages of postings and threads. However, the above mentioned thread does specifically compare the Alpine to the Montana.

It all boils down to what you (singlely or collectively) want. Floorplan. Price. Compatibiliy with the tow vehicle. Etc. And chances are that you will have a bug or two, but a good attitude will help with dealing with dealers and Keystone and the good folks on this forum can offer excellent thoughts and advice.

Good luck in your quest and Happy Camping!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
mikell

http://http://www.holmanrv.com/inventory/135568/New-2012-Keystone-RV-Alpine-3450RL.aspx

We also have the 3640 rl and are headed into our second winter with only a minor freeze up last year. Were in Michigan so it gets cold. We couldn't get a good deal in the area so we went to Ohio and saved a bunch. Should be able to get a new 2012 for high 40's
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote