Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
eds451

Slide out racheting

My 2007 Cougar 244rls slide rachets whenever it reaches full out or in. This bothers me as I now the "quality" of parts used is not the best and the sound indicates gears jumping and is causing un-necessary wear. I have a friend with a different model 5er and his slide simple stops when extended or retracted. I emailed Keystone and this was their reply...."When bringing in the slide out, it is important not to keep pressing the switch when it is fully in.* This can cause the noise you are hearing and can affect the motor.* Please feel free to contact Keystone RV if you need further assistance."
Do all Keystone slides do this or is there a limit switch somewhere that can be adjusted?
Thanks and still happy with our 5er.
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Our slide ratchets at both the extreme in and the extreme out ends of travel. We were told the same thing by the dealer, hold the switch until the ratcheting starts, then immediately release the switch to prevent damage.

I can't tell you that no damage is being done, but truthfully, I'd rather the slide stop and ratcheting occur than to put the stress on the motor of continued pressure past the stopping point.

I'd suspect (this is not researched or substiantiated) that the ratcheting is caused by a clutch unlocking the motor allowing it to spin on the drive gear rather than continue to apply force causing gear damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Hunter757

Are you slides electric or hydraulic? Do you know if your frame is a Lippert if so they have some great information on the web sight. I was looking for information for my father in-law's cougar and found it there on the right side of the page there are links for different models.

I can say the mine are Hydraulic and they do not make any ratcheting noises at all.

http://http://www.lippertrepairparts...ut-motors.aspx

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
RCrawler

Mine is a 2012 and it makes the same noise at both ends.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
rjsurfer

Don't worry, it's the clutch just doing it's job.

Totally normal mine has done it from day one just release the switch when the noise starts.

There are NO limit switches.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
photolab

Smile Slide Outs

As mentioned above, this is totally normal, and our dealer took care to go through the whole procedure with us, as our previous coach was hydraulic.

I'll try to give you a rough idea of what is taking place. The slides are moved by use of "linear actuators" which are far from a new idea, and are used extensively in industry for various tasks, being more controllable than either air or hydraulics, as well as cleaner. Basically, the motor turns a gear train, which in turn, through a over-riding clutch turns a ball screw, which extends or retracts the piston. The clutch is there to keep from damaging the actuator in event of it reaching end of travel, or it encounters a heavier load than it was designed for. The gears and racks you see under the main slides, are connected by a rigid shaft to each other only. This is to keep the slide even on both ends as it extends or retracts. If a linear actuator type slide does not ratchet at end of travel, the most likely cause is low voltage due to a low battery or bad connection somewhere.

Your description is of something totally normal, and your dealer should have demonstrated this to you when you took delivery. Just ENJOY!
photolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
eds451

Totally normal huh..well...OK.
I release the switch when I hear the racheting. (Lippert electric)
I appreciate everyone's input.
Now going out to install my EZFlex suspension mod.
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
NSTS1470

I get the same sounds but on occasion when trying to extend it makes the noise but doesnt move. If if give it a quick push outward then hit the switch it usuall works. Its at the dealer now and they say I need a whole new actuator/motor. that seems a bit much since it retracts and extends fine with the exception of this occasional not moving which is 1 out of 5 times roughly.