Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Irish Mist

Black tank rinse down

I had been waiting for a hook up to use the built in tank rinse... I hooked up the hose turned it on and... nothing..? I followed the water pipe and instead of going to the tank it goes into the bathroom cablinet.. it goes into a funny plastic fitting and then another hose goes from this fitting to parts unknown...I'm hoping the black tank I am guessing it is some sort of anti siphon fitting.. it looks more like it would be a small vent.. Anyways I'm reaching out again before I start dismantling things to see if there is something simple I'm missing

Thank you again
Mark
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Re: Black tank rinse down

That plastic piece in the bathroom is indeed an anti siphon valve. If you have no flow then the first thing to check is which way the hoses are hooked up. There is an arrow molded into the valve showing correct flow. I've seen more than my share hooked up backwards. If the hoses are correct, then I would remove the valve and test it for flow. If it tests good and the hoses are hooked up correctly, then there is either a kink in the line or the rinser ports are clogged. Kink is much more common, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, a properly done PDI would have found that prior to delivery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Irish Mist

You are so right about a proper PDI.. I totally blew that part.. liked the trailer .. liked the people selling it.. paid for it and brought it home..Over all I was lucky.. I would do it different next time.. Thanks for the info I am thinking it is backwards since new and never used from day one.. I will report back
Old 11-24-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
randy69

I ended up with water in the walls .. The plastic split . Went and bought a bronze one. That will never happen again..

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Irish Mist

I took it apart and I think the little ball was stuck.. seems to work now...
Old 11-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

That antisiphon valve is the "weakest link" in the entire plumbing system. If you're going to get a pressure induced leak, it will be (99 times in 100) that plastic "thing"..... So, when winterizing, treat it with care. I just remove mine, blow it out with very low pressure air and leave it laying on a paper towel under the sink. Next spring, just reinstall it and test before using. I've threatened to just go buy a brass valve and two fittings and eliminate the plastic valve, but so far it's still working and I'm "cheap".... Sooner or later it'll probably fail and as I'm mopping the floor, I'll probably be cussing out loud (or under my breath if someone is close enough to hear)....

I've found that if I turn the water on slowly when flushing, the valve seems to not get that "high pressure jolt" that causes so many of them to break. Good luck with your "now functioning flush system"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:25 AM   #7
Irish Mist

I agree it is a weak link. How ere it is only active when I hook it up so I will make sure to use the buddy system when I use it.. Being we are hooked up I am using lots of water in the head anyways to keep things un cluttered
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom
Old 11-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #8
Desert185

Use a water pressure regulator to protect that valve when you flush the tank.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
Javi

Took mine completely out and use an in line back flow preventer at the hose.

Javi
Old 11-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #10
byrdr1

What if you forget you are flushing and closed the black tank valve?
IT causes a big mess.. And now i have to remove plasticboard and pull the insulation out to get rid of the stink. What a mess.
I do this from time to time and this being the last flush of the year wanted it to be extra clean....I walked away from it and got busy doing the final departation things and then saw it running over (coming out from under the camper) and not backing up into camper luckily...
BUT now the mess to clean up. I have it under its shelter and will be working on it Saturday.
BUT another dumb headed mistake.
Travelled over half the country this summer and then on my last trip of the year do this major screw up..
That little plastic valve can be replaced with a brass one?? What kind oand where do i find this here thing.
thanks
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
concours

I replaced the leaking plastic anti back flow valve with a 90 elbow and installed a back flow valve at the hose connector, The system that keystone installed is good but once again they used poor quality parts.
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
PaulandJan

Had s little time to kill yesterday so I started reading some of the threads here. Our's is all winterized but I got to thinking about the black tank flush line. I hadn't done anything to it thinking that it would drain itself.

WRONG! I decided to get a blow out adapter and blow it out today. Got about a half pint of water that had not drained. Not much, but freezing in the wrong place would crack the line.
PaulandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulandJan View Post
Had s little time to kill yesterday so I started reading some of the threads here. Our's is all winterized but I got to thinking about the black tank flush line. I hadn't done anything to it thinking that it would drain itself.

WRONG! I decided to get a blow out adapter and blow it out today. Got about a half pint of water that had not drained. Not much, but freezing in the wrong place would crack the line.
Good thing you found it before any damage. The anti-siphon valve is "EXACTLY" that. It won't drain or "siphon"... The name pretty much gives it away. If you don't winterize it, it won't winterize itself (gravity won't help) so in the spring, the OEM part is $54. A "big box store" adaption is about $10.

Either way, good thing you found your "omission". Thanks for reminding others who may not have thought about it either.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-12-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
sandy43

Fortunately I've had no problem with this valve so-far. Eventually it will fail, according to everything I read. Dumb question: where exactly is this valve located? I need to know this info. Thanks
Sandy

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Sandy,

It's probably located under your vanity, tucked up high, probably touching or very near the water connections on the bottom of the vanity sink faucet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #16
Elk4me

In my 5ver it is located behind the convenience center panel at the hose connection for the black water tank flush. Fairly well protected from freezing. It is the plastic one and I would definitely go to the brass one available at most hardware stores if it ever fails. It is in a location as to do no damage if it failed other than flow water out the underbelly.
Now, for those that think that the inline check valve provide the same protection, don't ever take a plumbing license test. The plastic thingy provides a required air gap that will not allow water to backflow past the plastic thingy incase water pressure is lost somehow. The inline check valves can stick open therefore not giving the same degree of protection of the the water source.
Notice in my signature that I do know what I am talking about.
2011 Open Range Roamer 281FL
2013 Chev Silverado 6.6 Duramax
Elk4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #17
sandy43

I checked under the bath vanity, everywhere and it's not there. I checked behind the convenience center and it's not there either. I've traced the back flush hose from the water hook-up and it goes up, around or toward the shower, then comes back again behind the water hook-up and proceeds toward the black tank. I now assume the valve is at the black tank or some where's close to it. Wherever it is, I can't find it. Does Keystone expect me to drop the under-belly to change a valve, if ever needed? The plumbing in these rigs are a nightmare. Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sandy

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:43 AM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy43 View Post
I checked under the bath vanity, everywhere and it's not there. I checked behind the convenience center and it's not there either. I've traced the back flush hose from the water hook-up and it goes up, around or toward the shower, then comes back again behind the water hook-up and proceeds toward the black tank. I now assume the valve is at the black tank or some where's close to it. Wherever it is, I can't find it. Does Keystone expect me to drop the under-belly to change a valve, if ever needed? The plumbing in these rigs are a nightmare. Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sandy
They (Keystone) have been known to hide the valve in the shower wall... Look for an access point in the wall behind the shower faucet or you may need to remove the faucet to access..
Old 12-15-2016, 05:53 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
They (Keystone) have been known to hide the valve in the shower wall... Look for an access point in the wall behind the shower faucet or you may need to remove the faucet to access..

Grand Design puts it in the shower wall.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
Tbos

I always have a brass back flow preventer right between my black rinse specific hose and the TT. When I remove pressure it drips. Is it supposed to do that?
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank