Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
timvan

Possible new owner, have a few ?'s

Hello all,
My wife and I are looking into the purchase of a 5th wheel. MY wife has her heart set on a Keystone Outback Sydney 320 with the rear bunk house for our son. Our local dealer has 2, both 2010's one brand new and one that has been purchased but traded within the first month of ownership as the original owner really wanted a motorhome and he let his wife talk him into a 5w setup.

Price aside, my dealer is telling me that the used one will not have a warranty as I would be the 2nd owner and the warranty is not transferable. Ive read otherwise on the keystone site (http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/man...20Warranty.pdf) ... so Is the warranty transferrable?

We also looked at a similat Laredo. Either unit would work for us but again shes sold on the outback. Are the units comparable or is one considered better than the other?

Thanks in advance for your help/opinions.
Tim
timvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Flyguy

The warranty agreement as outlined by Keystone DOES allow for subsequent owners to receive the balance of the 1 year warranty. You need to know how much of the warranty is left! (Keystone starts the warranty when the first buyer buys it and any time it sits on the dealers lot counts against the warranty time) Sounds like this dealer is not being honest with you and will probably not discount the used trailer enough to make its purchase worthwhile. Be weary of this dealer’s honesty!! Talk about a new 2011 trailer if he doesn’t come around and don't let him kid you he has a good profit margin in that used trailer. Do a proper PDI on whatever you buy from him making sure that he fixes everything that doesn’t pass before you hand over the check!! A proper PDI form can be found here: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Pre-Deli...0Checklist.pdf If he dosen't want to fix things just walk away and find another dealer, it's your money and you don't have to spend it with him, GOOD LUCK
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timvan View Post
Hello all,

We also looked at a similat Laredo. Either unit would work for us but again shes sold on the outback. Are the units comparable or is one considered better than the other?

Thanks in advance for your help/opinions.
Tim
Ditto on what Flyguy said and yes ... Laredo and Sidney are both considered mid-level Keystones. Some standard equipment is different so compare them before you start adding options.
Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I would go with the unit that has the best layout that will meet both of your needs. Not much to chose from between the Laredo and the Outback in terms of quality - they are both very comparable. Welcome to the group!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
GBHRPS

Welcome to the group! My advice would be to buy what you want from a dealership that gives you the best vibes. The one you're dealing with is not the only game in town.

We found our present unit online at a dealership 5 hours away last August. After several phone calls, we made the trip there and purchased it. It was the BEST purchase experience we have ever had, hands down! This very day we returned from another long weekend camping trip to the same dealership to have a slide seal replaced at no cost. Again we were treated as royalty.

There are lots of dealerships in range of where I live that are much shorter driving times. But we found a keeper. When it comes time to trade, we'll be making that 5 hour trip again, and we'll be looking forward to it! By the way, the dealership is Springmount RV, just outside of Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada.
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Firecapt

Timvan,

I would really be skeptical of this deal! I would go with the new (unused) 5er. The reason I say this, is that you only have the dealers word on the reason the 5er was returned; could be due to any number of problems, etc.

If you buy new, there is no question about your warranty and IMHO it is a valuable thing to have since you may experience problems within the first year.

Why start out your RV experience with an iffy agreement that may lead to trouble for a few $$?

Bite the bullet, buy the new one and make sure you do a comprehensive PDI. If you need help with this, post here and you will get lots of guidance. Believe me, while the dealer you are working with may be honest, it only makes sense to cover all your bases and protect yourself.

Please, I wouldn't want to see your next post being about how you went ahead and made this deal and now have all kinds of problems that need fixing and Keystone is denying your warranty claims.

We have a rear bunkhouse unit (for our Son) and it has worked out very well!!

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:21 AM   #7
timvan

Thanks for welcoming me!

I spoke to the previous owner and he assures me that the unit was never used and theat he really just wanted a motorhome. He traded both his tt and 5th wheel for the motorhome.

I also spoke to keystone, as did the dealer to thier rep... they will honor the full warranty-in writing as the unit was put in service on 5-19-10.

The deal is very attractive $$ over a new unit. Im sure it could go bad, but it seems like a good deal from everything ive researched.
timvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
wheelygoode

It sounds like you've made your choice and I'm sure you'll be happy with your new unit.
Welcome to the Keystone club and to the forum. You will find lots of ideas here.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
mattdillon

Rule of thumb, RV Dealers are the lowest form of scum on earth. That's pretty much across the board. I would want the warranty, at least that gives you some protection. RV's are put together with such haste and I guess they have to be when you think about it. Some people get lucky, most have tons of problems. Some are unbelieveable and perhaps someone who traded a coach in had lots of problems. RVing great, but buyer beware. there are so many different systems on a RV. It's best to educate yourself. Good luck Mike
mattdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
therink

The newer Outbacks have 16" wheels, LT tires and EZFlex suspension. I bought an older build 2010 model new and came with 15" wheels, ST tires and regular Dexter suspension. Big mistake. if you havent already bought, check this out first.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote