Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
flyflycker

Question 2006 Cougar

I just purchased a 2006 Cougar and love it. I do have one question to the forum though. What is the deal with the fold out couch. It appears to be something like a futon, but when you fold it out, it is impossible to lay on. The back cushion is much higher than the front and that leaves a bi-level platform in which to try to sleep. Is there something missing that I need to get? This was a one owner camper that was used only five times and was only slept in. Thanks.......flyflycker
flyflycker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Firecapt

By fold out couch I assume you mean (what they call) the "jack knife couch." We have one in our 2006 Cougar 289EFS in the "bunkhouse." The darned thing is useless as a bed for the reasons you stated. In addition to the higher back (when folded down) there is the gap between the two cushions that make it difficult if not impossible to use as a bed.

I have contemplated removing it and replacing it with a futon or some kind of single bed; as soon as our Son outgrows the bunk, I'll look into doing that.

In answer to your question, it seems that they are all like this. If anyone has had any luck using it as a bed I'd like to hear about it. Perhaps someone has a modification that makes it usable for sleeping?

As it sits right now it's just another seemingly good idea gone bad!

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I think the newer models come with an air mattress. My '07 has the useless old style also. One good thing about it is that company never stays long.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
bylekb

We have a 2010 Cougar 24 RKS with the same couch. Have contemplated pulling it out and putting in two smaller recliners. Unfortunately you lose your storage space under the seat.
bylekb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
antiqfreq

We have the same couch in our fiver and we use 3" memory foam on top of it when we have company and makes it sleep-able......

jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Smitty

I too owned a 2006 Cougar which I believe was a 245RKS with a jack knife sofa. Ours too was uneven when you folded it down into the bed position. When we would have someone sleep on it we would just try to even it out by putting a folded blanket on the lower section and then put another over the whole sofa to try and make the whole thing even. The sofa was useless. We could not remove ours as the furnace was underneath it and the sofa was not free standing but was built into the area. We no longer own the fiver but have bought a larger one. It has a "J" sofa with a air mattress and we really like it. In fact, we prefer it to the queen matress in the bedroom and mostly sleep on the air up one. I'm wondering if you could just buy an inexpensive air matress and use that on the sofa. Just an idea. Good luck.