Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #1
g2vv

Wrong Water Heater Installed?

I purchased a 2021 Avalanche 312 fifth wheel a few months ago, and noticed that the water heater when in electric mode CANNOT be shut off using the 'electric' switch on the inside monitor panel. I have to go outside open the water heater panel and turn the electric switch off on the lower left corner of the water heater.

I did some research on the model installed, it is a Suburban SW12DEC. Apparently this model does not support a switch relay allowing it to be shut off from a 12v switch. Based on the Operation Manual it looks like the SW12DEL is the model that allows this.

I'm wondering if Keystone installed the wrong model... Anyone out there have the same setup with INSIDE switch. Could you post your water heater model number?

Thanks,
--Gary
g2vv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2vv View Post
I purchased a 2021 Avalanche 312 fifth wheel a few months ago, and noticed that the water heater when in electric mode CANNOT be shut off using the 'electric' switch on the inside monitor panel. I have to go outside open the water heater panel and turn the electric switch off on the lower left corner of the water heater.

I did some research on the model installed, it is a Suburban SW12DEC. Apparently this model does not support a switch relay allowing it to be shut off from a 12v switch. Based on the Operation Manual it looks like the SW12DEL is the model that allows this.

I'm wondering if Keystone installed the wrong model... Anyone out there have the same setup with INSIDE switch. Could you post your water heater model number?

Thanks,
--Gary
Covid has caused supply problems…they can and will substitute parts so they can keep the assembly line rolling
Old 09-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't have an Avalanche but I do have the SW12DEL and it has both switches. I don't think I recall ever seeing a spec on any of the new trailers I've read about or seen that said it would have a specific type of water heater (operation) other than size and if it is DSI. In the specs for your trailer (and the brochure) a water heater isn't mentioned.

I figure it is spec'd for a 12 gal water heater, how it operates probably depends on what kind of water heater they picked up to put in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
firestation12

Fix it yourself

As Jasin1 stated, your 2021 likely had a substitute water heater. My advice is save yourself a lot of grief and take this upon yourself to remediate. A 120 volt rated relay sporting a 12 volt activation coil will likely take all of 4 hours to install. Owning an RV isn’t always about getting somewhere, sometimes it requires rolling up our sleeves to fix stuff.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
g2vv

I agree about DIY, I learned that long ago to be ready to diagnose and fix it yourself. Plus it's pretty satisfying once done right!
Old 09-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #6
g2vv

Wow, your model WH helps confirm we may have the wrong one installed
Old 09-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Wow, your model WH helps confirm we may have the wrong one installed
There is no practical benefit to the setup of the dual switch DEL model except to unnecessarily complicate the operation of the unit. Some have said that the double switches are to make sure you are sure....then doubly sure you want to turn on the water heater....a waste of time IMO. The problem with the setup now that they designed the setup is you HAVE to have the 2 switches if you want to turn on the water heater (120vac) and not go outside. You could leave it on all the time but chances are at some point you will forget that little tucked away switch and plug it in with no water in the tank....or it will just melt like mine did. It's a pain to me but I've figured out how I want to deal with it. The next problem will be when the relay decides to fry itself.

You could contact your dealer about the type of water heater and let them interface with Keystone for you if you want the other type but given the shortages out there at this time I figure that conversation will be a short one. You could contact Keystone yourself and ask them about it. You can also call the customer service/owner relations number and see what they tell you.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

"There is no practical benefit to the setup of the dual switch DEL model except to unnecessarily complicate the operation of the unit. "

I disagree. Personally having only 30 amps at my disp[osal I find the indoor switch invaluable. When the a/c is running we typically have the fridge on electric (default if on shore power) and the WH on gas. When I go to take a shower I'll turn the electric opn the WH as well as the gas for more hot water/faster recovery. When I come out of the shower I turn the HW electric element off. I sure wouldn't want to have to run out at night (getting dressed first of course) with a flashlight to turn off the electric heating element.

Our current HW tank is original, so the electric element, the relay, etc. is all nearly 10 years old and without issue. The previous trailer was a 6 yr. old Forrest River with the same model WH and it was all original when we sold it. Personally if it wasn't set up that way I would convert it myself and add the inside switch. The other alternative is to leave the outside switch on and turn the WH off at the circuit breaker.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
"There is no practical benefit to the setup of the dual switch DEL model except to unnecessarily complicate the operation of the unit. "

I disagree. Personally having only 30 amps at my disp[osal I find the indoor switch invaluable. When the a/c is running we typically have the fridge on electric (default if on shore power) and the WH on gas. When I go to take a shower I'll turn the electric opn the WH as well as the gas for more hot water/faster recovery. When I come out of the shower I turn the HW electric element off. I sure wouldn't want to have to run out at night (getting dressed first of course) with a flashlight to turn off the electric heating element.

Our current HW tank is original, so the electric element, the relay, etc. is all nearly 10 years old and without issue. The previous trailer was a 6 yr. old Forrest River with the same model WH and it was all original when we sold it. Personally if it wasn't set up that way I would convert it myself and add the inside switch. The other alternative is to leave the outside switch on and turn the WH off at the circuit breaker.

Yes, as I mentioned, the only realistic way to use the Suburban setup is to have 2 switches to keep one from going outside every time they wanted to do the things you mentioned - those are everyday, common sense occurrences. To unnecessarily complicate what one switch could, should and does do with other brands, is not warranted - just a self imposed inconvenience by Suburban.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #10
bobbecky

To turn off that water heater without having to go outside, just flip the breaker in the electric panel. So, instead of having three switches to control the electric side of the water heater, you only have two. There are many RV's that don't have the 12 volt controlled relay to turn off and on the electric side of their water heaters.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #11
g2vv

Yeah, I'm pretty persistent and patient in walking through these kind of issues. The problem is not a show stopper, just a nuisance until resolved.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:07 AM   #12
ChuckS

If you just gotta have that inside electric water heater switch working then you would need to order and install this relay at the metal junction box located on the top right corner of the water heater when viewed from the backside of water heater..

https://suburbanrvparts.com/suburban...2-16-d-de-del/

Then you would have to see if there is actually any wires from that inside switch running over to the water heater junction box

Quite frankly the relay IS PRONE to overheating and melting and then you have other issues to contend with...

I have the SW12DEL and it doesn't have an inside switch for electric mode nor would I want it...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:21 AM   #13
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
To turn off that water heater without having to go outside, just flip the breaker in the electric panel. So, instead of having three switches to control the electric side of the water heater, you only have two. There are many RV's that don't have the 12 volt controlled relay to turn off and on the electric side of their water heaters.
That’s the way my 2014 Cougar is. I was used to having a “wall switch” in the Alfa but I just flip the breaker. And I like that this fifth wheel has a 12 volt switch on the control panel, inside.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
At first, I thought this was the same thread I saw just a little while ago, but it's somebody else.

Here's what the other guy had to do.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:51 AM   #15
{tpc}

I would bet that they used what they had on hand to complete the build, hence why it doesn't work. I would also bet that if you removed that switch panel from the wall, the electric part probably isn't wired up.

If it is, then hopefully the wires run back to the area the WH is in, and you could easily do some DIY magic to get it to work for you.

Tags
heat, heater, led, water, water heater