Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2021, 05:08 AM   #1
sonora2019

Smile Cougar 2021 26RBS - rear vent in Bath & Large slide windows

Hello,
We have had our RV 3 months now and just love it. Been on the road alot.
It seems that the vent in the Bathroom comes open when travelling. We are not sure we are securely closing it. Has anyone else had this happen?
Also, the large slide windows don't lock? We will be taking our RV in to dealer in November to get issues addressed, but thought someone might have some comments above these two issues.

Hey thanks and have a great camping day!
Chip and Carla
sonora2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:29 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Chip, Not sure what type vent in the bathroom you have but mine has a knob that is turned to crank it open and faces to the rear relative to the direction of travel of the camper. Does this sound like your vent? If so, the knob would have to turn unless the arm that lifts the vent were not secure to the turning mechanism. As far as your large slide window doesn't lock? Is this window opening up and down or sideways? When you say slide window, do you mean window in your slide or a sliding window? A picture might help.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:44 AM   #3
sonora2019

Hello George! Thank you for the reply. The bathroom vent does have a round knob and maybe I should start tightening it up tighter. As for the windows they are in the slide and they are sliders - two large windows.
Do you have any further thoughts?
Thank you,
Chip
Old 09-12-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
DaveAlb

Our vent was doing the same recently. Snugging down the screw on the knob seemed to take care of it.
2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5l Powerboost
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:13 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Turning the knob on the bathroom vent will snug it down and keep it from opening while in transit. Make it tight, then give it another 1/4 turn. On all my previous travel trailers that did not have motorized vents, that's all I had to do. Yes, I had them (all) open on occasion for this very reason.

About the slider window. When you close the window, you should hear a click sound. If you don't, perhaps the catch is broken. If so, a temporary fix is to simply cut a dow rod, or cut a section of PVC pipe to length of the window. You could even use a wooden yard stick and cut it. Lay the rod in the window track while you travel. Cut it so it's kind of "snug" but not so "snug" you can't get it back out. Like I said, for a temporary fix, this will keep the window from opening while in transit, and you can use it to lock the window at night for safety if you want.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:22 AM   #6
sonora2019

Hello.

Thank you.......we appreciate the reply. We will try turning another 1/4 turn.
Also - we don't hear a click sound...so we'll need to address that with the RV dealer.
Many thanks.
Have fun1
chip and Carla
Old 09-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #7
jasin1

I’d install these if you haven’t already …easy install and don’t have to worry about leaving vents open by accident
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	965E63CE-C97E-44DF-AED2-4F796AB926BF.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	35780  
Old 09-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Your concern about the roof vent has been addressed and I believe will resolve that. On your slide windows, how do you open them? Is there a little handle type lever you pull up to unlatch it so you can slide it open? If it is not locking then you aren't closing it forcefully enough I imagine.

Ours has the same type sliding windows and I've had that problem from time to time on this trailer. The first instance I knew of was when I took it back in for some warranty work. As we walked around the trailer the tech looked up at the window and noted it wasn't closed good (I did not even see it). He just reached up (he was about 6'4"), pushed it back then slammed it closed - locked tighter than a drum. Of course I thought he was going to shatter the window. He said it was very common and you just had to close it rather than gently push it. Since then I've had it happen several times and the cure is to just close the window with enough force to get the latch to snap.

Edit: I forgot to say that the maxxair vents mentioned by Jasin are a super investment. A vent left open due to a moment of forgetfulness (which I seem to have more and more of these days) won't leave the interior soaked during a thunderstorm - no worries.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Edit: I forgot to say that the maxxair vents mentioned by Jasin are a super investment. A vent left open due to a moment of forgetfulness (which I seem to have more and more of these days) won't leave the interior soaked during a thunderstorm - no worries.
My Montana HC fifth wheel has the rain sensing automatic vents (Kitchen and bathroom). When we took delivery of the fifth wheel at original purchase, we had them install the vent covers. We can leave ours open now, in the rain, fans running and keep the camper vented without the rain actually closing the vents and shutting off the fan. That sensor must be very, very sensitive though. We have, on a couple occasions, rain in such a fashion, that even with the vent cover, the sensors detected water blowing on them and shut the vent and turned off the fan.

Still, those vents are absolutely worth every penny and then some!
Old 09-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #10
sonora2019

Hello Danny and Susan!
This Forum is really super! People are sharing good information. Thank you so much.
We just went outside and we hated to do it (I cringed) but Chip slammed the window and lo and behold it locked! And yes it has a handle that pulls toward you. We had tried shutting it rather hard and that didn't work...but the slamming did. It too bad though that this is the only way to get the window to lock right? LOL Take care and thanks again.
Carla and Chip
Old 09-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonora2019 View Post
Hello Danny and Susan!
This Forum is really super! People are sharing good information. Thank you so much.
We just went outside and we hated to do it (I cringed) but Chip slammed the window and lo and behold it locked! And yes it has a handle that pulls toward you. We had tried shutting it rather hard and that didn't work...but the slamming did. It too bad though that this is the only way to get the window to lock right? LOL Take care and thanks again.
Carla and Chip

I think the mechanism will loosen over time as ours has. It still takes some force to get it to click but I would rather it be tight vs not. Ours have not broken or cracked and after a bit you will get a feel for about how much force you need to use to get it to latch.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
My Montana HC fifth wheel has the rain sensing automatic vents (Kitchen and bathroom). When we took delivery of the fifth wheel at original purchase, we had them install the vent covers. We can leave ours open now, in the rain, fans running and keep the camper vented without the rain actually closing the vents and shutting off the fan. That sensor must be very, very sensitive though. We have, on a couple occasions, rain in such a fashion, that even with the vent cover, the sensors detected water blowing on them and shut the vent and turned off the fan.

Still, those vents are absolutely worth every penny and then some!

We have the rain sensor in the kitchen but not the bathroom. Even if I had the sensors on both vents I would have the covers installed as I feel the same way you do. And after many years of having them and not worrying about the vents if I didn't have them I'm sure I would have a major malfunction due to forgetting to close them.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
sonora2019

Hello again,

Well, that is encouraging to hear that it will loosen up over time! I'll tell Chip about this when he returns. Gives me some comfort! LOL I would not like to replace one of those windows!
You guys take care!
Best wishes,
Carla & Chip

Tags
cougar, slide, vent, windows