Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
Javier Gonzales

New Member with Problems

I have a 2019 keystone outback and was wondering why my outside propane quick connection line has very low pressure. I connected a coleman propane stove to it and when I light it the flame is very low. It has 2 full propane bottles and im using a brand new hose for the connection to the new coleman stove.
Javier Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
CedarCreekWoody

Huh? I'm not sure what Notanlines is responding too.

Regarding your propane remember the pressure has been reduced by the regulator. Don't connect an appliance with a second regulator, it will reduce the pressure too low.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
Carl n Susan

The Coleman has a proprietary regulator built into the connection that screws into the back of the stove. It has to be eliminated. It's purpose is to reduce the propane pressure to the stove which has already been done by the RV's regulator.

You can buy hoes for the Coleman sans the regulator or make your own. Google is your friend.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
dutchmensport

No matter what you do, you will NEVER get your Coleman camp stove to work off the quick connect on your camper. The propane system on your camper is reduced, and the Coleman is also reduced. I tried everything, even purchasing a Coleman regulator, cut the regulator part off, attached a rubber hose and tried connecting directly to the camper gas quick connect. It still did not work.

My solution was to purchase a propane tank (I picked a 3rd - 30 pound tank) and a hose that connects to the Coleman regulator. It worked just fine that way.

You have a few choices. Put a T between the camper regulator and the camper propane tank. Then you can run another rubber hose gas line directly to the Coleman stove.

You continue using little green 1 pound propane tanks you buy from Wall Mart.

You can purchase a 20 or 30 pound propane tank and keep it as an extra spare for the camper too.

You can get a different camp stove. (and there aren't very many ... if any, that actually work). The only thing I heard that actually works with those connects is the Weber-Q gas BBQ grill.

Another option, is to purchase an actual RV stove that would be installed inside the camper. Build a frame for it, and attach a screw - end for a rubber hose to attach to the quick connect. RV stoves are made for the low pressure. (we almost purchased one from one of our favorite RV dealerships, one that had been removed from a different camper, and they threw out there for sale for $25. It was a 3 burner. Instead, we hesitated and picked up a Coleman stove, just to be horribly disappointed. We went back to the dealership, and the stove was gone. Someone else snatched it up.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Just to clarify, are you trying to run a stove or a grill off the quick connect fitting?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Gonzales View Post
I have a 2019 keystone outback and was wondering why my outside propane quick connection line has very low pressure. I connected a coleman propane stove to it and when I light it the flame is very low. It has 2 full propane bottles and im using a brand new hose for the connection to the new coleman stove.

If you search there are any number of posts/threads pertaining to problems trying to run a grill off the quick connect. I've had them and never used them. First time I had one they gave me all the hoses, grill etc. to use it; I just won't put a grill that close to the RV and if I got a longer hose I don't want that stretched out all over the place, hence I've never used one or wanted to - just look them over.

There is probably something that will make that Coleman work as that was the freebie they threw in the first time with all the hoses and connectors. Said it would work but who knows - it was a salesman.

Since I have no use for the quick connect but carry a LOT of cooking gear I have moved to this; I run my gas grill (Charbroil Grill2Go X200 Tru Infrared) on the little 1 lb. tanks. There are just two of us so I don't cook that much when I use it. I run my Blackstone flat top using a 20lb. tank carried just for the Blackstone. My other cooking gear is not LP dependent. The 2 Colemans I've had to use with the RV were both unsatisfactory (Roadtrip 285 and a small cheap one).

Think through what it is you want to do and how you want to approach it. I will admit the stuff we take traveling is much more than minimalist.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Any LP grill or stove will work with the onboard low pressure LP system provided you don’t have a regulator on the appliance. There's no "magic" involved, just the laws of physics. I have used Coleman Road Trip as well as several other brands over the years. Some brands sell adapters to eliminate an on board regulator and some don't.

Brands that don’t offer a "kit" or fitting may require a little retrofitting. If your not comfortable doing this then take it to an LP service company and pay them to change it over.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
Carl n Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
No matter what you do, you will NEVER get your Coleman camp stove to work off the quick connect on your camper. The propane system on your camper is reduced, and the Coleman is also reduced. I tried everything, even purchasing a Coleman regulator, cut the regulator part off, attached a rubber hose and tried connecting directly to the camper gas quick connect. It still did not work......
There are several ways to make this work. Apparently you never found them. If you have a Roadtrip LXE Amazon has a premade adapter just for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Sturgi-Safe-R.../dp/B07BN7DVN8
I know I have seen other solutions. Google is your friend.

I am using an modified Coleman connector on my full blown original Roadtrip. There is a back flow ball that needs to be removed to make it work (after removing the regulator). I am moving tomorrow and hopefully I will have something better than text speed internet. I will find the instructions and a picture of my adapter.

P.S. I found the stock Coleman burner to be a little under powered. So I modified another Coleman regulator to eliminate it and connect now to an adjustable regulator. I could melt gold on that grill (if I could afford it).

9/9/2021 Update:
I disassembled the Coleman fitting separating the BBQ attachment from the feed tube. There is a tiny spring and ball check valve that will fall out and can be discarded. I then bought a hose and connected to the BBQ adapter to the hose with a 3/8 flare × 1/8mnpt. I have two of these hose connections. One uses a quick connect to the RV low pressure side and the other is a standard Acme valve with an adjustable regulator to connect to a portable propane tank.

Here is a picture of the hose with the adjustable regulator and the modified BBQ adapter. I used it last night to grill some steaks. The great feature of the original Coleman is the water bath. That stops any grease flareups from occurring.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman BBQ Adapter.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	35743
Old 09-06-2021, 06:46 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
There are several ways to make this work. Apparently you never found them. If you have a Roadtrip LXE Amazon has a premade adapter just for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Sturgi-Safe-R.../dp/B07BN7DVN8
I know I have seen other solutions. Google is your friend.

I am using an modified Coleman connector on my full blown original Roadtrip. There is a back flow ball that needs to be removed to make it work (after removing the regulator). I am moving tomorrow and hopefully I will have something better than text speed internet. I will find the instructions and a picture of my adapter.

P.S. I found the stock Coleman burner to be a little under powered. So I modified another Coleman regulator to eliminate it and connect now to an adjustable regulator. I could melt gold on that grill (if I could afford it).

Carl jogged my noggin. In my previous post I said it was a Coleman Roadtrip 285 because it looked much like the one I had. I had the LXE that Carl refers to - as soon as I saw the name I knew I had missed it. Loved the accessories; grates, grills, coils, covers and a rolling carrying case. Got tired of it flaring up (2ea. 10k btu burners vs others 12k btu total) so I gave it to a guy passing through going to the bathhouse in a moment of aggravation.... It was sure versatile though and don't see many like that. The Weber 2200 I have doesn't cut the mustard either (12k burner as I recall) so sits on a shelf in the barn. Ahh, the joy of "cooking out" and finding the "just right" appliance that suits you........
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:20 PM   #10
Carl n Susan

Updated Post #9 as promised.