Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2021, 05:50 AM   #1
cw1001!

Tire Balancing Weights, Stick on Versus Clip-on

What is everyone thought on using stick-on weights versus clip-on. I just had my tires balance and got stick-on weights on 3 of the tires and clip-on on the other two tires. I guess two different people balanced the tires. i told them II wanted stick-ons. I took them back. A different person did the work this time. The manager of the tire store says clip-ons are the best. I disagree. The tires flex a crazy amount on a two axle trailer in heavy turns. I have moved my trailer 10' since I had the tires installed and just found a clip-on weight in my drive way.
cw1001! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Time to find a new tire store. If they balanced the tires using a cone in the center of the rim the balance is most likely useless or worse than before it was balanced. Most trailer rims require lug balancing vs hub centric balancing. This requires an adapter that bolts on to the rim to allow the balancing machine to lug balance the wheel and tire.

You don’t list your trailer so I don’t know if you have steel or alloy wheels. If someone raised a hammer to "pound" a weight to the rim of my alloy wheels they would have to see a proctologist to retrieve it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Time to find a new tire store. If they balanced the tires using a cone in the center of the rim the balance is most likely useless or worse than before it was balanced. Most trailer rims require lug balancing vs hub centric balancing. This requires an adapter that bolts on to the rim to allow the balancing machine to lug balance the wheel and tire.

You don’t list your trailer so I don’t know if you have steel or alloy wheels. If someone raised a hammer to "pound" a weight to the rim of my alloy wheels they would have to see a proctologist to retrieve it.

This doesn't really pertain to anything other than when I read the highlighted above it reminded me of an older gentleman back when I was a teen that owned a little gas station; Mr. Tuttle.

Some guys were lucky; had Camaro SSs, Olds 442s, Dodge Chargers etc. Me? My '59 Ford F100 - the "Red Swan" (replete with a beautiful chrome swan on the hood)!! Anyway, one of the guys took a tire off one of his fancy vehicles in to Mr. Tuttle (I was with him) to get a flat fixed. The owner of the station looked at the wheel and told my friend it would be $50 (maybe it was $100 - outlandish anyway) to fix that flat (probably a dollar back then). We both looked at him in astonishment. He said if I use that break down tool over there and chip/break that rim I'll have to buy a new one. We had never thought about it (always had steel wheels), AND, we definitely didn't have him fix the tire. Sorry for the sidetrack there.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
cw1001!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

My Trailer is in my profile. Someone had mentioned that I need to put my trailer in my profile so y'all know what I have.

2013 Keystone Cougar
Old 09-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1001! View Post
My Trailer is in my profile. Someone had mentioned that I need to put my trailer in my profile so y'all know what I have.

2013 Keystone Cougar
I think you may have confused profile with signature. If you go uo to UserCP you can add a signature with your trailer and tow vehichle make, model, and year then it will show up on every post as apposed to someone having to go "searching for it". It's strictly for your benefit as replies will be more relevant.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #6
cw1001!

Stick-on vs. Clip-onTesting my signature

Stick-on weights vs Clip-on weights? Where have you guys found are the good tire repairs shops that have the right tools to do trailer tire balancing?

I am posting this for two reasons, a question and testing my signature.

2013 Keystone Cougar 22' Travel Trailer
2019 F150 EcoBoost
4 Point Equalizer
Old 09-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw1001! View Post
Stick-on weights vs Clip-on weights? Where have you guys found are the good tire repairs shops that have the right tools to do trailer tire balancing?

I am posting this for two reasons, a question and testing my signature.
The signature works! As for lug centric balancing "let your fingers do the walking" and start making phone calls. Ask what they use to balance lug centric wheels. If they hesitate or ask what that is then move on.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

https://youtu.be/ocWAZqNGhM4.
This a good visual explination on the different balancing requirements. Our trailer came with Sendel alloy wheels. I contacted Sendel at Sendelwheel.com when I increased the tire rating from D to E and confirmed the wheels were rated gor E rated tires and pressures and asked about the balancing. They confirmed that they were lug centric rims.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:54 AM   #9
ChuckS

Clip on weights are fine and the only thing that goes on my Alloy wheels on my GMC and my Sendel wheels on my Alpine..

The issue is... there are different styles of clip on weights and if the guy installing them grabs the WRONG style clip on weight it will not stat on an alloy wheel...

Les Schwab has been installing my tires for over 35 years .. soft mallet used to install... I have never had any weight fall off or pop off...

Images of clip on for steel wheel and alloy wheel... you can see the difference in the clip... if you put a steel weight on an alloy wheel it will not stay on very long
First image is steel Second is alloy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steel.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	35701   Click image for larger version

Name:	alloy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	35702  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ