Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
dronning

Anyone have a Garmin RV 1090?

looking for some feedback.

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a RV 890 and saw the 1090. The 2" bigger screen would be easier to see but is it too big/or worth the extra $200 price tag?
- Dave
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a RV 890 and saw the 1090. The 2" bigger screen would be easier to see but is it too big/or worth the extra $200 price tag?
- Dave
Don't have that model but if I were considering it I would cut a peice of cardboard that size to check for fit on the dash before ordering. As far as if "it's worth it" that's strictly your call. Folks that don't camp in RVs probably don't think your rig is "worth it" and for them it isn't. 10" is a common screen size for many tablets so if you know someone with one ask them if you can borrow it long enough to try it out in the truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #3
notanlines

First and foremost, does it have options that you and your family will use? Secondly, how big is big enough? Do RV'ers need a 69" Samsung 4K sitting seven feet in front of their theater seats? Would you like to have your Samsung
super-duper latest and greatest smart phone be equipped with a 12" screen? You see where I'm headed with this? I personally don't need to see the entire state of Texas on screen to follow directions down I-10 west. Most of these electronics companies are banking on the 'mine's bigger than yours' mentality.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't have that model but if I were considering it I would cut a peice of cardboard that size to check for fit on the dash before ordering. As far as if "it's worth it" that's strictly your call. Folks that don't camp in RVs probably don't think your rig is "worth it" and for them it isn't. 10" is a common screen size for many tablets so if you know someone with one ask them if you can borrow it long enough to try it out in the truck.
Thanks, funny before reading your post I had already cut a couple pieces of cardboard out. Then you mentioned comparing tablets. DUH! I have an 8" iPad mini I use with my drone and an older 10" iPad I use to use for work, so I'll drag them out. I'm still going to tape the cardboard in a couple of locations though.
- Dave
Old 03-01-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronning View Post

- Dave
I have the rv 785..it was last summers newest garmin offering..they seem to come out with new ones monthly...I would be hesitant to have such a large gps unless you mount it below the dash ..my 785 takes up a lot of space on my dash,any bigger and it would impede my sight...I like the 785 because it has a built in dashcam
Old 03-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
dronning

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
First and foremost, does it have options that you and your family will use? Secondly, how big is big enough? Do RV'ers need a 69" Samsung 4K sitting seven feet in front of their theater seats? Would you like to have your Samsung
super-duper latest and greatest smart phone be equipped with a 12" screen? You see where I'm headed with this? I personally don't need to see the entire state of Texas on screen to follow directions down I-10 west. Most of these electronics companies are banking on the 'mine's bigger than yours' mentality.
I get what your saying. Over 50 years and 500,000+ miles on motorcycles and most of the long trips were with trip tics/maps in baggies taped to the tank. I got a ton of grief when I first bought a GPS, a Garmin 2610 with a 3" screen. I've spent a ton on tech over the years and don't regret it, new GPS systems, Sena comm systems, wired then wireless. Each purchase was well thought out and made the ride more enjoyable and/or safe.
- Dave
Old 03-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I have the rv 785..it was last summers newest garmin offering..they seem to come out with new ones monthly...I would be hesitant to have such a large gps unless you mount it below the dash ..my 785 takes up a lot of space on my dash,any bigger and it would impede my sight...I like the 785 because it has a built in dashcam
With the price drop of LED displays and ever larger smartphone screens I guess they are giving customers what they want. I think some new trucks have 11" screens in the dash.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:59 AM   #8
notanlines

David, the first thing we did to the sidecar 16 years ago was put two power points near the dash. And what was the first item we installed? Yep, the Garmin! I believe an old 'nuvi' model.
I can match your 50 years with 52 years, but the 500K you might have me there. With you in the Minneapolis area that takes some doing to average 10K a year!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:59 AM   #9
dronning

Quote:
David, the first thing we did to the sidecar 16 years ago was put two power points near the dash. And what was the first item we installed? Yep, the Garmin! I believe an old 'nuvi' model.
I can match your 50 years with 52 years, but the 500K you might have me there. With you in the Minneapolis area that takes some doing to average 10K a year!
I remember when the Nuvi came out I wanted one but I couldn't find a mount for my BMW so I stuck with the 2600 series. There were many years with 30K miles and one with 42K miles. I commuted to work and back a lot, it was 57 miles round trip and I almost always took the long way home and put on 150 miles. Every summer in my 40's & 50's there was at least 1 major trip to the West Coast, South West, Northwest, Florida or Alaska. A few times North of the Arctic Circle. My last long trip was in '17 about 9K. On my way home my wife flew out to 'Vegas to meet me and ride the rest of the way back. She did a 700+ mile day which was huge for her.

It use to be all about ride and I know I missed a lot, now with the Toy Hauler we can spend time in an area and enjoy it more.
- Dave

OH and to get back on topic, I decided to go with the RV890. The 10" screen is too big.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Brings back memories. I used a laptop in the car running Delorme Street Atlas with a satellite antenna plugged into the RS232 port. It was cumbersome but it worked. I think the first stand alone GPS I put in the car was a Magellan unit that had an sd card with the "maps" that you had to but separate and a "flip up anmtenna". It was far better than juggling the laptop with an antenna sliding all over the dash.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
Northofu1

Still can't beat Mapquest printed maps. Now whose bragging?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #12
Courser Farm

Was shopping myself! After reading the input here, and looking at reviews online, I decided to save a couple hundred and I ordered the 890 a few minutes ago. As I am the navigator I like the size of it for me to keep up with. Thanks for this question, Dronning.
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote