Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2021, 06:21 AM   #1
Fuel Guy

Inverter Prepped

My 2020 Cougar 366 RDS is both solar and inverter prepped. We have purchased the solar panel suit case, but I can't find or get answers about the inverter prepped wiring. It states that the bedroom, (Cpap) kitchen, and TV outlets are prepped for an inverter. But when looking in the storage unit, all we have is a romex wires connected with a Molex connection? Has anyone installed their own inverter? Do you splice this connection, or eliminate it completely?
Fuel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

A phot would help but typically the "inverter prepared " units have a loop of romex. You splice the inverter ( need one with an autimatc by pass that shuts off in the presence of 120 vac). The wire from the breaker goes to one side and the output goes to the outlets. Then connect to the battery with cables sized appropriately for the inverter size.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:10 AM   #3
dutchmensport

I don't know how you are wired, but here is the diagram from my user manual for my (factory) installed inverter.

To do it right, you'll need the inverter and a transfer switch. The transfer switch simply plugs into the inverter. The inverter is wired to the battery.

The transfer switch detects when you are not plugged into shore power and will automatically flip over to the inverter which is changing 12 volt DC input to 120 volt AC output.

Hope this helps:

Old 08-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
Fuel Guy

Thanks for the response, and yes I have a loop. But the switch is what was throwing me off? Your basic moderate inverter is just hooked up to battery and plug in wires. I didn't know about an inverter with a switch to detect different power. That is why I thought you could just run the inverter 24/7 because of boon docking, I would have the solar panel charging batteries, or the generators if not using shore power. Some of these high dollar inverters and you tube guys are spending a ton of money to fully invert their units, and that is not what I want to do. Thanks again for the help, I will search for an inverter that has the switch detection on it, and that makes sense.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #5
ASCTLC

I think we're in the same boat as you. We don't want to invert the whole camper, just the t.v, microwave, and kitchen.

I'm seeing it being a lot of work to reconfigure for only those outlets to invert.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
I think we're in the same boat as you. We don't want to invert the whole camper, just the t.v, microwave, and kitchen.

I'm seeing it being a lot of work to reconfigure for only those outlets to invert.
If you want to run a microwave you're going to need a lot more battery capacity than what came with the trailer and a robust source to recharge them. A microwave will drain down a 12 v battery very rapidly.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you want to run a microwave you're going to need a lot more battery capacity than what came with the trailer and a robust source to recharge them. A microwave will drain down a 12 v battery very rapidly.
Like in "one bag of Orville's finest" maybe 1.5 bags if you're lucky and the lights will be dim while you try to find the generator to recharge the dead battery.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #8
Fuel Guy

Sorry for such a delay, things got quite hectic the past month here. Anyway, here is a pic of the romex wire that Keystone states is for the inverter prep? If I understand correctly, if I purchase a Sine Wave inverter with switch, I just make a plug for this wire and put it into the inverter, and everything will be automatic?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210811_072124.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	35610  
Old 09-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Looking at your pic, that’s only half of what’s needed. That Romex is for the 110VAC side, you’ll still need the 12VDC feed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
Fuel Guy

Yes, I would run the black and red wiring directly to the batteries, on the other side of the wall. My main concern is why do they install that "Molex" plug there? It makes this so confusing, and neither Keystone, or my dealer can tell me why? So I assume I just cut that romex, and make a 120V plug adapter on it, and plug that into the inverter. With other other side going to the batteries.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:20 AM   #11
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel Guy View Post
Yes, I would run the black and red wiring directly to the batteries, on the other side of the wall. My main concern is why do they install that "Molex" plug there? It makes this so confusing, and neither Keystone, or my dealer can tell me why? So I assume I just cut that romex, and make a 120V plug adapter on it, and plug that into the inverter. With other other side going to the batteries.

One side of that romex loop will be coming from your converter, the other side is going out to the pre-wired outlets. If you are using a pass through inverter the hot side will go into the inverter. If not, the side coming from the converter will need to be capped. However if you don't use a pass through inverter those outlets will no longer work unless the inverter is on.

You can see my install thread here.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=48453
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #12
Fuel Guy

Wow, now I think I am back to square one? I read through you complete install, and it makes sense, although you lost me when had a back feed. Starting to get of of my league there. So in a nutshell. I do have solar panel prep on this camper also, and I have the suitcase solar panel. This can plug directly into my camper and it will feed/charge the batteries. So with the inverter (again I getting confused) the romex loop that I have is 1) coming from the converter, and 2) going to the 3 listed outlets (bedroom, kitchen, tv). This is all I want or need, for I will the majority of the time have shore power, or my generators, and solar panel. I get confused on your 30 amp switch when on shore power? If I disconnect the wire feed from the converter completely, and just hook up the romex going to the 3 outlets, then I would have to run the inverter 24/7 correct? Since I don't want that, I want to have that auto switch that will detect when I have shore power/generator or it calls for the battery power? So in simple terms, I see on your pic you have a romex connected to both sides of the inverter??? and the battery cables? Wouldn't I just hook up the battery cables on one side, and the romex on the other? Sorry if I am not comprehending, and thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #13
Essvar

If you are ok using only outlets that are prepped this an easy install. I apologize for my inverter pic during test phase I actually had the loop going into the AC out of my inverter still as a loop (don't do that) after I learned how the romex is actually run I changed it to the hot side into the AC in and the side out to the pre-wired outlets as AC out on the inverter.

The only way I was causing a backfeed was when I tried to power more receptacles that were tied into the main BUS... you won't have that issue if you don't get creative

For what you want, just get a 1000watt pure sine with 30amp transfer.

https://www.donrowe.com/Xantrex-817-...p/817-1000.htm

It will be a very simple install... Power in from the batteries. Hot side of Romex into the AC in on the inverter. Cold side of the romex into the AC out.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter