Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #1
wifi_guy

Lithium Batteries

I haven’t really heard much on this and if I have missed a post or two in these forums, my apologies. I see some of the newer campers coming with Lithium batteries installed from factory. Anyone else making the switch?

Any reason to or not to make the switch? (Cost aside)
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #2
GHen

Lithium Batteries

I’m sure you’ll get many responses.

One issue is lithium does not charge well in cold temperatures.

The initial cost is also triplets 5 times more over lead acid, but the long term costs are even or less than Lead acid.

When updating your current system, you may need to upgrade your converter to be able to charge Lithium
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #3
wifi_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I’m sure you’ll get many responses.

One issue is lithium does not charge well in cold temperatures.

The initial cost is also triplets 5 times more over lead acid, but the long term costs are even or less than Lead acid.

When updating your current system, you may need to upgrade your converter to be able to charge Lithium
We don't do a ton of cold weather camping, so the cold weather charging issue isn't a super big deal.

The converter aspect of things I didn't think about. Good call there.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

High temp is bad for lithium batteries as well. They performe best around room temp.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
mdovenmuehler

We have a custom battery shop here where I live and they made us 12v 125ah lithium batteries. They have worked flawlessly for the last 3 years without any issues. We do live in Idaho and have camped both in extreme cold and very hot climates. Charging in the cold can be an issue but the ah charge from two batteries is far more than enough charge for a 3-4 day dry camping with no issues. We do have ours hooked to a solar panel. We are storing it we disconnect the solar panel from the batteries and just plug into power at our house. If your really interested in 12v lithium and can wait, get them custom made for a fraction of the cost.
Or go to Alibaba like some have and get 12v batteries for $200/ea all day. The wait times might be a bit but from what Ive seen they are no different and perform just as good if not better than american made 12v batteries(which Im guessing some are not made in America)
mdovenmuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
wifi_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovenmuehler View Post
We have a custom battery shop here where I live and they made us 12v 125ah lithium batteries. They have worked flawlessly for the last 3 years without any issues. We do live in Idaho and have camped both in extreme cold and very hot climates. Charging in the cold can be an issue but the ah charge from two batteries is far more than enough charge for a 3-4 day dry camping with no issues. We do have ours hooked to a solar panel. We are storing it we disconnect the solar panel from the batteries and just plug into power at our house. If your really interested in 12v lithium and can wait, get them custom made for a fraction of the cost.
Or go to Alibaba like some have and get 12v batteries for $200/ea all day. The wait times might be a bit but from what Ive seen they are no different and perform just as good if not better than american made 12v batteries(which Im guessing some are not made in America)
We don't dry camp so maybe this is a worthless upgrade for us?
Old 08-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

If you don’t dry camp it would be huge waste of money. IMO there’s a lot of places where money would be well spent, starting with an EMS.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
vampress_me

In our new camper, we decided to spend the money (ouch!) and put in 2 Lion Energy lithium’s from Costco. We do have a switch on the converter so you can choose LI or LA batteries. We were just saying yesterday how much we love having them.

End of July we camped in the Big Horn Mtns with family for a week. We have a generator on the camper, but did not foresee what ended up happening, since the generator had worked great up until then. Apparently the propane line to the generator kinked a little and at 8200 ft it couldn’t get enough propane to keep running, so we couldn’t run it to charge batteries like the original plan had been. (One of those “kinks” to work out in a new camper?!? LOL). But, between the lithium batteries and a portable generator from hubby’s brother that we could borrow for a little while every couple of days, we had no issues. He needed the gen more since his TH gen wasn’t working either, and they have more kids and normal batteries. We did get good laughs with the generator issues that week though since both were built-in Onans. But, this trip was MUCH better than last time we were up there with our other camper and a 12V battery that sucked. And, at home without being plugged in constantly they keep a good charge even with a slight parasitic draw with the batteries disconnected.

Overall, I’m happy we spent the money even though we don’t boondock constantly. They were worth it to us.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:51 PM   #9
mdovenmuehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi_guy View Post
We don't dry camp so maybe this is a worthless upgrade for us?
Most definitely a huge waste of money. I’d say look for upgrades that up your comfort levels and real amenities. 12v battery’s not being one of them especially if u don’t dry camp. Go for Walmart specials, I would at least have two just in case for whatever reason shore power fails u.
mdovenmuehler is offline   Reply With Quote