Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2021, 03:49 AM   #1
Campy

Double towing / camera system?

Looking for ideas on a camera system to double tow a small trailer behind my 5th wheel. I have seen a few types and iffy reviews on the quality of the wireless system working well at the distance needed. Anybody use one? What type and how is working for you?
Old 07-19-2021, 05:20 AM   #2
JDDilly

I have a Haloview Range Dominator. It has a external, wired antenna that you put on the roof of the rig to cut sown the distance. Works much better then the Furrion I had on my last rig.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:30 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I have a wired camera on the back of my unit that also has sound. Has yet to fail me in the 9 or so years since I installed it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed an RVS "fifth wheel quick disconnect" rear view WIRED camera system on our Springdale and the F150. When we bought a larger truck, I moved the "truck parts" to the new vehicle. When the tree fell on the Springdale and totaled it, I moved the camera/trailer wiring to the Cougar and when we bought another truck, I moved the truck wiring to that one.

So, all told, three trucks and two trailers and the "original RVS wired camera system" is still functional and still "sends a video that's as crisp and bright as the first day on the first rig...

When you consider that you'll likely need to "wire power to the camera" and probably install a "repeater/range extender" in the front of the trailer, installing a "wired system" isn't that much more "work" for a solid, constant signal.

If I were to buy a new system, I wouldn't consider anything but a wired RVS "fifth wheel quick connect" system.

There are two types of monitors, one is a "replacement rear view mirror" with the monitor built into it (smaller video space) and the other is a "stand alone monitor" which has a much larger video monitor screen. I have the stand alone monitor which is all that RVS offered "way back then"..

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...nnect-kit.html
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...70613-213.html

Both offer a "coiled cable that connects between the trailer wiring harness and the truck wiring harness, making hitching/unhitching much easier.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
NMRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy View Post
Looking for ideas on a camera system to double tow a small trailer behind my 5th wheel. I have seen a few types and iffy reviews on the quality of the wireless system working well at the distance needed. Anybody use one? What type and how is working for you?
I have a Haloview with a 7" monitor, and a wireless camera. I use it on rear bumper of my 37' fifth wheel without a repeater and it works good.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
notanlines

Campy, if you do your homework (search all forums) you'll find a few wireless users that swear BY their units and you'll find that most just swear AT their units. Just go hard-wired and put it behind you. Yes, this is the voice of experience (dollars down the drain) speaking. Our Haloview (I think RD7) from Amazon didn't make it out of town before I cursed loudly, boxed it back up, and stopped at UPS Store to send it back.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
NMRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Campy, if you do your homework (search all forums) you'll find a few wireless users that swear BY their units and you'll find that most just swear AT their units. Just go hard-wired and put it behind you. Yes, this is the voice of experience (dollars down the drain) speaking. Our Haloview (I think RD7) from Amazon didn't make it out of town before I cursed loudly, boxed it back up, and stopped at UPS Store to send it back.
Something must be wrong there. You must have had something interfering with the signal. My unit works perfectly. I even use it at the house, and it will transmit almost 100 yards.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
Campy

I ended up going with a wire-less system I bought from Amazon. Did not want to invest a lot into it as it will be used very little. The system was right at $200 and easy to install, got power from the running lights of the camper for the camera as this was the easiest install. My camper actually has a 12 volt supply in the rear wall but I would then need a "switch" and have to remember to turn it on/off.
Just returned from a 900 mile trip towing double and the camera system worked perfectly the whole time. Noticed twice that it "lost signal" and it only lasted about 4-5 seconds. Without the extra trailer it works nice for watching while backing into tight spots.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #9
TKS323RL

We use this for a rear camera in our 323RL. Works great and doesn't cost much to hook up. Around $100.

TKS323RL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing