Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
Jayne

Hideout 177RD - Wall Mount A/C

We have a new Hideout and twice now while traveling in a heavy rain, there was water on the pantry top underneath the wall mounted air conditioner. We have not noticed the water while parked in the rain.
Any ideas of where the water is coming from?
Are there covers that can be mounted over the roof vent for the wall air conditioner?
Thank you.
Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #2
curtiscapk

We have a 2021 177RD as well. I haven't been camping in it while it was raining however we checked on it last weekend after 4 days of downpours and everything seemed dry. I will take a closer look next weekend when we go camping and see what kind of seal ours has and take some pics.

We got so much rain so fast my pontoon boat cover couldn't keep up and bent the supports. The cover had at least 100 gallons if not more in it. They're parked 2 away from each other in storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_125948.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	34555   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210426_163056 (Medium).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	34556   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_142654 (Medium).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	34558  
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There was a thread about a year or two ago detailing how a "house window A/C" like yours was installed by the factory, but was not "tilted to drain away from the trailer interior"... Instead, it was very slightly higher in the rear than in the front and in heavy rain or high humidity, the A/C would begin to fill up with water and leak into the trailer.

If I remember the fix, it was to install a couple of washers under the front mount screws, lifting the front of the A/C slightly so it has positive slope and can drain out of the trailer....

There may have been some issue with the trailer construction that caused the mounting platform to not be built level. Never the less, providing positive drainage, I believe, fixed the issue...

You might want to check your air conditioner to be sure it's "draining out of the trailer" both when hitched for towing (remember most highways slope to the curb) as well as check that the A/C is level when the trailer is set up for camping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:18 PM   #4
Jayne

Thank you both for responding. I will check the leveling and drain pan.
Thanks again
Old 07-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #5
curtiscapk

Update: It poured while we were camping and there were no leaks around the ac. Ours is tilted so it drains out the bottom of the unit. The only thing I don't like it leaves black streaks.. Let me know if you want close up pics of the inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210718_114335 (Medium).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	34954  
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
Old 07-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #6
Jayne

@curtiscapk
Thank you for updating. While stationary, our ac drains outside as well. Both times it leaked inside, was while driving in heavy rain.
I am not sure if it is because it is not level while driving and the drain pan runs inside or if a heavy rain allows rain inside the roof vent. We haven't had another heavy rain to try the "washer" suggestion another responder suggested.
I agree, hate the black streaks!

I wish there was an additional cover for the roof vent, like we attached to the bathroom vent, but have not been successful in finding one.

Thanks again. Hope you had a good trip, minus the rain of course.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:13 AM   #7
Jerryd1941

I bought a 177rd last year. It had rained the day before and when looking inside we saw that the ac had leaked inside. Of course they fixed that right away, didn't seem like it took them much effort.
My issue, camping in So. Tx. heat is that it just does not do the job during the heat of the day. Do any of you other 177rd owners have that problem. And if so what have you done about it?
Jerryd1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:34 AM   #8
curtiscapk

With it being basically a window unit we just leave ours cranked all the time I did make a deflector to get the air blowing down instead of towards the ceiling.

We also run a fan to help circulate the cold air.
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
Old 09-14-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
bsmith0404

When I was in sales, I saw several small RVs with window AC where you could see light around the AC unit. Obviously, that’s not a water tight seal. Take a good look around the edge and make sure it’s sealed good. If you’re getting rain water coming in while towing, I’d suspect that is your problem.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryd1941 View Post
I bought a 177rd last year. It had rained the day before and when looking inside we saw that the ac had leaked inside. Of course they fixed that right away, didn't seem like it took them much effort.
My issue, camping in So. Tx. heat is that it just does not do the job during the heat of the day. Do any of you other 177rd owners have that problem. And if so what have you done about it?
I live in the Garden of Eden and the temps are 76F all year round (actually in the Tx Hill Country). I have a 30A trailer and a 15K BTU A/C which isn't quite up to the task in sun on triple digit days. First thing is to put some film that blocks UV on the windows (window tint). I have 90 percent tint which means 90 percent of the UV. This helps. I have done other things but they won't apply to a camper with a window A/C.

The one thing I did was put a 14 BTU portable in my camper and exhaust out the window. Yeah, the 14 BTU sounds like a lot but the BTU ratings on portables are grossly overstated. With the 14K BTU and roof 15K BTU units our camper stays comfy.

I run a heavy duty electrical cord to the pedestal and plug into the 20A 110V outlet. Here are pics of install:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC_14K..jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	41593   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC.outside.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	41594  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote