Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #1
SandyBurg

Mud flaps for dually

Since we have a brand new camper. Our previous ones were used. We know that driving through rain is inevitable on longer trips, but we also know it helps to avoid it if possible. All the water being thrown up onto the camper (with slides) can't be good for it. We want to protect this new one as much as possible. We are towing a 365MB with a 2018 GMC Sierra Dually. We are thinking of adding mud flaps across the back (bumper area).

Looking for recommendations or ones to avoid.

If you have the ones that are one-piece, have you noticed a decrease in gas mileage. (That air under the truck has to go somewhere and with a one-piece it's being blocked.)

Thank you and enjoy your summer!!

Ken, Sandy and Dan with Bailey our puppy
2018 GMC Sierra Denali Dully 4WD
2021 Avalanche 365MB
SandyBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
Javi

Mud flaps are mandatory on a dually in Texas so I have always had them, but just the standard style.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:17 PM   #3
SandyBurg

Thanks, we live in Missouri and they aren't required. We have pulled campers to Texas over the last eight years. I just read the other day that they are required. Ooops. We'll be legal the next time.

2021 Avalanche 365MB
Old 07-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBurg View Post
Thanks, we live in Missouri and they aren't required. We have pulled campers to Texas over the last eight years. I just read the other day that they are required. Ooops. We'll be legal the next time.
They are only required in Texas if you live there.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
notanlines

Don't sweat the Texas law for flaps. You're tagged in Missouri. But also don't sweat the mileage difference. There is none.
We liked Rock Tamers. A little pricey, but it's only money.
https://realtruck.com/p/rocktamers-a...hoCbRIQAvD_BwE
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBurg View Post
Law is currently not applicable to nonresidents unless commercial. However my point is why would anyone drive a rock throwing machine like a dually and not have them.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^^I learned this on my 1st fiberglass front RV; WHY would you ever hit the highways with all the debris on them and tow without them.....to admire all the pits? You have a nice new trailer, the flaps aren't mandatory in your state I suppose but in reality common sense makes them so. Mileage? Before buying that new trailer did you consider that or maybe you needed to get a pop up? Of course not. Not only is the mileage not noticeable, it's irrelevant IMO. Get a good set. The ones I have are no longer made but Rock Tamers would work well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:38 AM   #8
RickV

Don't cheap out like I did. I got the Weathertech 4 piece set that are the easy install. The rears aren't long enough when I get back home I am gonna get some rubber and cut it to fit and pop rivet it to them.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
SandyBurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^^I learned this on my 1st fiberglass front RV; WHY would you ever hit the highways with all the debris on them and tow without them.....to admire all the pits? You have a nice new trailer, the flaps aren't mandatory in your state I suppose but in reality common sense makes them so. Mileage? Before buying that new trailer did you consider that or maybe you needed to get a pop up? Of course not. Not only is the mileage not noticeable, it's irrelevant IMO. Get a good set. The ones I have are no longer made but Rock Tamers would work well.
Thanks. I mileage was more a funny question. lol With the camper mileage is only how far till the next fuel stop. Thanks for the info. Looking into them now.

2021 Avalanche 365MB
Old 07-15-2021, 09:24 AM   #10
SandyBurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Don't sweat the Texas law for flaps. You're tagged in Missouri. But also don't sweat the mileage difference. There is none.
We liked Rock Tamers. A little pricey, but it's only money.
https://realtruck.com/p/rocktamers-a...hoCbRIQAvD_BwE
It is only money. Just wish it grew on trees. lol But keeping the camper and boat during the summer free from rocks will be worth it.

I'm looking into the ones you suggested. Thanks for the advice!!

2021 Avalanche 365MB
Old 07-15-2021, 09:27 AM   #11
SandyBurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Don't cheap out like I did. I got the Weathertech 4 piece set that are the easy install. The rears aren't long enough when I get back home I am gonna get some rubber and cut it to fit and pop rivet it to them.
Thanks. We definitely won't be looking at those. Kinda want a once and done.

2021 Avalanche 365MB
Old 07-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #12
rhagfo

I think that running a dually without mud flaps is crazy. I can't imagine the mud and rock damage not only to what you are towing, but also to the truck itself.
Mine are factory, and do a great job.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:06 AM   #13
no rearview

Another issue to consider, if you have the Duramax anything placed behind the exhaust will be reduced to ash or liquid from the regen heat. I put the Weather Tech on the rear mostly because of the no drill installation, add some rubber to the bottom of the hard flaps if you want more protection. Measure the flap additions when the 5ver is on the hitch. 2019 Silverado 3500 drw.
no rearview is offline   Reply With Quote