Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 06:34 AM   #1
Sticky907

First Time Owner

Hey everyone,

I recently just purchased my very first RV of any sort and while I have not taken delivery of it just yet I am quite excited.

I've watched hours and hours of youtube videos on what to look out for and what to make sure you have on hand but if anyone has any of the kind of weird often not mentioned tips and tricks I would love to hear them.

I should probably add that I have a CDL and am well versed in towing but the RV side of things I have never dealt with.

2020 Keystone Hideout 28BHSWE
2017 Ford F250 6.7 Powerstroke

Thanks!
Sticky907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #2
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the new Hideout, and be sure to post a picture or two of your setup when you get a chance.

Stay safe,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Gobirds38

Welcome Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
Texas Steve

Se it up in your driveway and camp out! Test all the systems on electric, propane, and battery power. Get as familiar with everything as you can before you head out on your fist trip. Make a list of things to add into the trailer once you get "home" from you driveway trip. Good luck and have fun!
Texas Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

TIPS FOR FIRST TIME CAMPER!!!

1. Go to Walmart and buy a pack of RV toilet paper. Practice using it at home before attempting it in your camper. You will figure this tip out quickly.

2. Hitch up your new camper and drive to an EMPTY parking lot and practice backing so folks won't snicker when you attempt getting into a spot at an RV park the first attempt (don't ask why I list this tip as it comes from personal experience). Try to have as few witnesses as possible when practicing and NEVER have a family member wave arms, scream or attempt to help guide you (this leads to marital friction and extreme embarrassment).

3. Valterra Waste Valve T58 - You will find that when you get to your favorite camping spot, your waste tanks can "SPOT". Since have to connect a sewer hose, you don't want them spotting on you so you connect this valve to where you normally connect your hose and it provides a line of defense against any dribbling.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

4. If you have pets, install a "RV Screen Door Grille". The type you need depends on how determined and/or large your critter is. We have a Camco on our camper and it keeps the chihuahuas from scratching the screen in door; my bro-in-law bought the same grille for his camper and he has beagles and it lasted about 3 minutes so a heavier option will be needed.

5. Poke around in cabinets and in the pass through and in storage areas and note they are not sealed; either buy a bunch of mouse traps or seal them in some manner as campers tend to be the favorite hang out for little critters.

6. Everything in your pantry should be in a container otherwise you will have little critter snackers.

7. If you have a galley tank or other tank that you have to crawl under the camper to actuate the dump valve and are not fond of crawling under the camper due to water or fire ants, etc., you can leave it open if you have one of those Valterra waste valves I mentioned otherwise if you leave it open you will get little flies from the sewer sharing your cabin.

8. Keep your trash can covered as tightly as possible (see tip #7)

9. If you pull into a camp ground where all the RVs have their awnings deployed, you can probably deploy yours as there may not be high enough wind conditions to rip it apart; the converse is true as well.

10. Buy a Progressive EMS ASAP! Use it when camping as many camp grounds don't maintain their electrical system as well as it should and rural campgrounds can often have power sags when heavy A/C use is happening in the summer. Don't attempt to use the microwave and A/C at the same time if you expect the breakers to not trip in a 30A trailer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
notanlines

Avoid Aquasoft and Camco toilet paper! Try to stay with Scott’s RV or any good brand ‘septic safe’
Your behind will thank you...
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
Sticky907

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
TIPS FOR FIRST TIME CAMPER!!!

1. Go to Walmart and buy a pack of RV toilet paper. Practice using it at home before attempting it in your camper. You will figure this tip out quickly.

2. Hitch up your new camper and drive to an EMPTY parking lot and practice backing so folks won't snicker when you attempt getting into a spot at an RV park the first attempt (don't ask why I list this tip as it comes from personal experience). Try to have as few witnesses as possible when practicing and NEVER have a family member wave arms, scream or attempt to help guide you (this leads to marital friction and extreme embarrassment).

3. Valterra Waste Valve T58 - You will find that when you get to your favorite camping spot, your waste tanks can "SPOT". Since have to connect a sewer hose, you don't want them spotting on you so you connect this valve to where you normally connect your hose and it provides a line of defense against any dribbling.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

4. If you have pets, install a "RV Screen Door Grille". The type you need depends on how determined and/or large your critter is. We have a Camco on our camper and it keeps the chihuahuas from scratching the screen in door; my bro-in-law bought the same grille for his camper and he has beagles and it lasted about 3 minutes so a heavier option will be needed.

5. Poke around in cabinets and in the pass through and in storage areas and note they are not sealed; either buy a bunch of mouse traps or seal them in some manner as campers tend to be the favorite hang out for little critters.

6. Everything in your pantry should be in a container otherwise you will have little critter snackers.

7. If you have a galley tank or other tank that you have to crawl under the camper to actuate the dump valve and are not fond of crawling under the camper due to water or fire ants, etc., you can leave it open if you have one of those Valterra waste valves I mentioned otherwise if you leave it open you will get little flies from the sewer sharing your cabin.

8. Keep your trash can covered as tightly as possible (see tip #7)

9. If you pull into a camp ground where all the RVs have their awnings deployed, you can probably deploy yours as there may not be high enough wind conditions to rip it apart; the converse is true as well.

10. Buy a Progressive EMS ASAP! Use it when camping as many camp grounds don't maintain their electrical system as well as it should and rural campgrounds can often have power sags when heavy A/C use is happening in the summer. Don't attempt to use the microwave and A/C at the same time if you expect the breakers to not trip in a 30A trailer.
Thank you for all the tips.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
Sticky907

I never thought about the different brands but luckily the wife just happened to grab Scotts RV already. We'll make sure to stick with that, thanks!
Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

As you have not taken delivery yet I suggest reading this post on doing a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection). https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ery+inspection
I would add that I found it very motivating to not take delivery or sign the check over to the dealer until they complete the PDI list and rectify all issues. Promises of "bring it back we'll get right on it" are easy for the salesman to make and are not always the reality of the service dept. YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
travelin texans

You'll find that any "septic safe" toilet paper will be ok as long as it's not more than a couple plies, use plenty of water per flush & NEVER leave the black valve open while connected to park sewer, dump when necessary. ALWAYS dump the black 1st followed by greys to rinse your hose.
Wiredgeorge also mentioned the awning, NEVER leave the campground with your awning deployed or the city water left on, things can change quickly.
As for unwelcome critters use a couple boxes of Fresh Cab rodent repellent (found online or at Tractor Supply) under cabinets, in closet, in storage areas, it smells fresh, works great & less nasty than traps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Danny has given good advice. I've seen more than one trailer with water rolling out of it and nobody home. If you have a dog and wish to leave it alone while gone do everyone a favor. Drive your truck a short distance away and walk back to your camper. If your doging is barking like crazy don't leave it alone until you have trained it not to bark in your absence.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You'll find that any "septic safe" toilet paper will be ok as long as it's not more than a couple plies, use plenty of water per flush & NEVER leave the black valve open while connected to park sewer, dump when necessary. ALWAYS dump the black 1st followed by greys to rinse your hose.
Wiredgeorge also mentioned the awning, NEVER leave the campground with your awning deployed or the city water left on, things can change quickly.
As for unwelcome critters use a couple boxes of Fresh Cab rodent repellent (found online or at Tractor Supply) under cabinets, in closet, in storage areas, it smells fresh, works great & less nasty than traps.
My wife saw a post on one of her social media feeds saying Irish Spring soap deployed will keep little critters out of your trailer. Never tried it... just saying.

Also some folks turn off city water when they leave for an extended period (more than an hour or two) for safety sake in the even one of the super pex lines or fittings dies in situ.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post

CAMCO toilet paper is the ULTIMATE in RV experience; make sure you take some hand soap though.... We seem to have a lifetime supply of CAMCO and it has amazing disintegration properties so must dissolve even before hitting the tank.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
dutchmensport

Think about installing a Bidet on your RV toilet and you'll never have to worry about which brand toilet paper to purchase again. Also, swap out that cheap plastic seat for a real toilet seat. Just make sure when you travel the seat and lid are always down.

Another tip: Just because it says "RV" on the package does not mean you have to use that RV labeled item. Anything you use in the house will work in an RV. There's nothing "special" about any camping gadget, except the packaging. Need a hatchet, get a hatchet from the tools department from Home Depot or Lowes. If you purchase from an RV parts shop, you'll pay twice as much for an inferior product most of the time. Don't get hung up on purchasing things labeled "for RV's". You can find cheaper and better quality that will do the same purpose as anything labeled "RV."

However, there is nothing wrong with getting RV novelty items to make your RVing more enjoyable, like rugs, dishes, curios.

At first, we used second hand, used, left over, hand-me-down items to outfit our first couple of campers. It served it's purpose very well and didn't feel so threatened when something aged out or broke.

Then by about the 3rd RV we realized our camper was truly our "Love Shack", and started switching out items, little by little with more elegant and "sexy" furnishings, and over time, the camper truly is our vacation resort destination, wherever it is parked.

My advise ... your ideas will change a lot over the first 2 or 3 years of RV ownership. So don't invest in a bunch of over priced specialty RV labeled items and equipment. You personal vacation house will evolve over time. Be flexible to your own changing lifestyle.