Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
Ddubya

Alpine Furnace

I am in a 2017 Alpine 3401 in south Texas and the temp dipped to the lower 30's the last two mornings.(I know Boo Hoo) The furnace ran most of the time and while the bedroom remained warm the kitchen and living room are cold.
What I have discovered is that there are two floor vents in the living/kitchen area and one in the bath and one in the bedroom. Bath and bedroom vents are about 8 inches apart.
Having looked at the furnace installation it appears that the ducting from the furnace is not installed according to Atwood's specifications. Atwood requires 36 square inches of duct for proper operation of their 35000BTU unit. Alpine has one 4 inch duct feeding the entire interior of the trailer and one 2 inch duct feeding the belly storage for a total of about 16 square inches. I plan to speak to my dealer about this when I return home but I doubt they or Alpine will attempt to do anything.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The furnace plenum has duct openings on the bottom as well as on the sides and the end. You might want to double check to see if there are two additional vent hoses connected "below the floor" that service the two "main floor vents" in your main cabin. That's the way the heating ductwork in my Cougar is "plumbed". Maybe yours isn't, but often times the ducts go "down into the basement" rather than make a 90 degree turn immediately after the plenum connection.

Added: According to the Atwood Furnace Installation Guide, a "common 4" circular duct" satisfies the need for 12 square inches, so three "common 4" ducts" plus the 2" duct is considered "adequate" venting capacity. So, if the two "main cabin floor vents" are ducted below the furnace plenum, the minimum capacity is being met.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
tdawg

In my Alpine the bathroom furnace duct would blow so much air i pulled vent diffuser off and blocked off 3/4 of it with aluminum tape, that balanced more air to rear ducts.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Ddubya

I will check to see if it is ducted on the bottom but doesn't appear so. There is very little air from any of the vents.
It also looks like one continuous plenum from the back of the living area to the front bedroom. I am on a month long shake down so when I return I will be able to open it up and see how it is plumbed.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
issyrog

can you hear your fan. check tstat?
issyrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Ddubya

OH yes, fan is on, tstat works fine

Old 01-11-2017, 05:19 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Don't you have a dual zone thermostat? Yes the heating between front and rear is not perfect, we actually end up running our front AC at times when the rear is being heated. I know that doesn't make for a very efficient system, but it balances out the temps. The dual zone set on auto works well. As the front gets a little too warm the AC will kick in for just a bit to keep the temps down and comfortable. The first few times we used our 5er, the front would be too hot or the rear too cold, but this works to keep the entire trailer comfortable. I haven't done it yet, but I do plan to change out the vent covers with adjustable ones so I can shut down the airflow to the front a bit, especially in the bathroom. As far as the ductwork goes, it works so I'm not going to dig in and start trying to make changes.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #8
Ddubya

Some good points. Thanks.

Tags
alpine, furnace