Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
This is a timely thread. I am in the midst of this type of project. My budget is tight, so I'm just looking at a steel carport.

I just had the area leveled and graveled, so a gravel pad is where it will be placed and that portion is complete.

I need help getting the sizing correct. I'm going with a 36' long carport and the maximum width I can fit is 14'. The price difference between 12' and 14' is $100, so it seems worth it to go with the max even if it's tight.

I'm still pondering the height. I have dimensions from the manufacturer and with 12' sides the clearance down the middle is 14'-3" with a minimum clearance of 12'-8" across 11' of the width tapering down to 10'8" at the 14' mark. That should fit my 5th wheel which has a max height of 13'-3" at the ac units in the center of the roof.

It would cost a bit more to go to 13' high posts, but then I would be clear across all of the usable space.

Does anyone have one of these? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
When we built ours ( and even now I wish I had gone bigger), the contractor built our side walls 14' high. His reasoning: The 4x6 poles and the steel are "standard cut" in 8-10-12-14-16 foot lengths. To build side walls 13' high would require special order steel and it would also require using the appropriate size 4x6 poles and cutting the top foot off of them. Better to go "cheaper" and build it to standard cut materials, avoid the special order pricing and get a taller building to boot. So, ours is 14' tall. A bit "overkill" but nearly $1000 cheaper than building the same building with 13' walls.

You might do some checking on pricing in your area to see if the same holds true for you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #42
Jager

I'm in the middle of building our garage/house. There is no way I would suggest going lower than 16' ceilings in an RV bay. My garage is 60' deep and 64' wide. It is split into 2 halves. The RV side is 24' wide by 60' deep with 16' ceilings that allows for a 14' high x 20' wide door. This isn't a pole barn however, it is stick built. The other half of the garage is 40' wide by 60' deep with 12' 6" ceilings. That side is heated.

Anyway . . . I would suggest going no lower than 16' in ceiling height in an RV bay so that you can get a 14' garage door in with NO clearance issues.

FTWing Riders - that is one expensive building. Very nice! Timber frame makes a beautiful interior. Did they use insulated panels on the outside?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #43
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueweb View Post
This is a timely thread. I am in the midst of this type of project. My budget is tight, so I'm just looking at a steel carport.

I just had the area leveled and graveled, so a gravel pad is where it will be placed and that portion is complete.

I need help getting the sizing correct. I'm going with a 36' long carport and the maximum width I can fit is 14'. The price difference between 12' and 14' is $100, so it seems worth it to go with the max even if it's tight.

I'm still pondering the height. I have dimensions from the manufacturer and with 12' sides the clearance down the middle is 14'-3" with a minimum clearance of 12'-8" across 11' of the width tapering down to 10'8" at the 14' mark. That should fit my 5th wheel which has a max height of 13'-3" at the ac units in the center of the roof.

It would cost a bit more to go to 13' high posts, but then I would be clear across all of the usable space.

Does anyone have one of these? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Look at my photo those are 12' high side poles. the camper fits fine and I can get on the roof but with the slope of the cougar front to back. the front gets close to the center but clears it. My camper is placed off center to allow the slides to open and not hit anything. Door(curb) slide is 3' ft out versus roadside is 2'ft out. This allows me to be able to walk around the camper and not have to move my truck from under its carport.
If it was me check your prices between 13' & 14'ft high poles. The 14's might be not much more. I had to pay for a 18' wide Rvport but it is only 16' wide as this all the space I could allow. that little bit extra will be nice if you ever need it. I almost wish I had gone with 14' poles now.. ALMOST.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote