Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2024, 02:25 PM   #1
johndpick2

Question Adding Auto leveling to Travel Trailer

Hi everyone,

I have a 2021 Passport model 2210RB and was wondering if anyone has looked into auto leveling on this unit? Is it possible? What would the cost without labor?

Thanks,

John
johndpick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:47 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Depends on which frame you have. If you have the light weight frame, itís not meant for the auto level system.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:50 PM   #3
GlasNav

Approx 3K for the parts, then comes the question is your undercarriage frame capable of handling the system, or would welding be required to install it properly.

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 03:13 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

A Passport has a very lightweight frame not at all suitable for leveling. My stabilizer jacks can easily induce frame twist/deflection if I am not careful when setting up. I would not recommend it.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:30 AM   #5
johndpick2

Auto leveling

Thanks everyone for your responses. I agree that auto level would not be a good idea. I will just have to camp more so I get better at leveling the trailer.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:44 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndpick2 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I agree that auto level would not be a good idea. I will just have to camp more so I get better at leveling the trailer.
Get one of these and mount it on the front of the trailer so you can see it from the driver's seat. When backing into a campsite, just put blocks under the "low side tires" until you're level (or close) side to side. Then it's just a matter of unhitching and using the tongue jack to level "front to back". After that, just put stabilizers down to stop the motion and break out the chairs and cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Masters...SABEgJqFfD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelmaster level.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	46592  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:52 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

I use leveling chocks (Andersen or Beech Lane are similar). You just back onto them until you are level side to side and then use your tongue jack to level front to back. Drop your stabilizers to limit movement and you are good to go.

Depending on your budget, you can use a regular carpenter's level, or install bubble levels to the front and side, or if you like tech stuff, get a Level Mate Pro.

I have Beech Lane leveling chocks and use a LevelMate Pro. I can back into a site, open the app on my phone sitting in the driver's seat, determine which side needs to go up, have my wife set the leveling chocks under the appropriate wheels, then I back or pull onto the leveling chocks until the app says I am level side to side. Then I use standard chocks on the other tires, disconnect, and level front to back. I upgraded the factor stabilizers to a heavier duty style scissor stabilizers and we are level and stable for our stay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9545.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	46593  
Old 04-04-2024, 09:10 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

The easiest answer to the "trying to get level" situation is a set of Andersen levelers and a LevelMate Pro. Pull up the app on the phone, back/pull onto the levelers until it's level, get out and chock - you're done.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:38 PM   #9
johndpick2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Get one of these and mount it on the front of the trailer so you can see it from the driver's seat. When backing into a campsite, just put blocks under the "low side tires" until you're level (or close) side to side. Then it's just a matter of unhitching and using the tongue jack to level "front to back". After that, just put stabilizers down to stop the motion and break out the chairs and cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Masters...SABEgJqFfD_BwE
Hi,

I do have a "level Master" on the trailer. However when I get level and then put the slide out(driver's side) and stabilizers down, I will later find my level off by a half a ball. I am going to pay attention to the level once I close the slide first and then after I remove stabilizers tomorrow when breaking camp. Something is causing me to go out of level but not sure what. I don't think it is the stabilizers but possibly since they do not drop down at same rate and passenger side always touches first.

JOhn
Old 04-04-2024, 01:42 PM   #10
NH_Bulldog

We compensate for the slide by having that side 1/2” high. Then when the slide goes out it brings the trailer to level.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:12 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Hi,

I do have a "level Master" on the trailer. However when I get level and then put the slide out(driver's side) and stabilizers down, I will later find my level off by a half a ball. I am going to pay attention to the level once I close the slide first and then after I remove stabilizers tomorrow when breaking camp. Something is causing me to go out of level but not sure what. I don't think it is the stabilizers but possibly since they do not drop down at same rate and passenger side always touches first.

JOhn
My trailer is the same. If I set up "exactly level" when I extend the slide, it's "slide side low"... I compensate by setting up "slide side slightly high" so when the slide is opened, the trailer is level...

It only takes a bit of "experimenting" to find out how high to set up, so when you're completley set up, things are where you want them... For my trailer, it's "just slightly less than 1/2 of a mark low on the off side".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:59 PM   #12
drrelli

Same here. We set up the app with the slide side 1/2” too high, which evens out nicely when all set up.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:59 AM   #13
donaldN01

I second (or 3rd) the LevelMate Pro and Anderson Levelers combo. One of the best purchases I made. Saves alot of time running back and forth, moving, getting out, checking, getting in, moving, getting out, checking etc. Just pull or back on levelers till light goes green and your done.
donaldN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 05:25 PM   #14
Dan.in.Seattle

I Third (or 4th) the LevelMate Pro and Anderson Levelers combo. One of the best purchases I've made as well.
There are times when backing into a spot I will be at level at a certain point but if I go a bit more I'm off again. Has saved me from deploying the Anderson levelers many times. Also, when "shopping" for a spot at a parking lot, this tool can help you find a level spot so you don't have to level at all

Recreational RV'ers
Keystone Springdale 179QWBE
2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 w/Tow Package
Dan.in.Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, travel trailer