Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 07:16 AM   #1
JimSell

Lost 12v and got it back again

I have a 2005 Keystone Outback 23 something. It really is in very good condition. We were traveling from NJ to Florida and stopped for a free night parking at Wallmart in Lumberton, NC. The interior lights work, the refrig is running on propane. I turn on the handheld controller for the AC/furnace and "pop" (propane detector shutting off) and lights go off. Check circuit breakers and fuses, nothing blown. Water pump doesn't work. Spend the night and continue travel on to Florida. Park in the RV park and open the trailer. Lights work, refrig running, water pump working on 12 volt. Plug into shore power, everything works. Have not tried AC/furnace yet.

What happened? My theory is that the A/C compressor could have been on a spot that caused high current draw and it tripped a breaker or relay I don't know about. Then the vibration from the road trip reset something allowing everything to work.

What do you think?
JimSell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
CampNBrew2

The little circuit breakers (usually) by the battery are auto-resetting. I have never had one trip so am unsure of the reset time frame. It is a thermal device so probably no more than 30 seconds. They are notorious for going bad so I keep a couple of spares with me. It may have corroded and stuck when opened, and as you mentioned, the road vibration allowed to to free up and reset. Your trailer being a few years older than new, it would be a cheap maintenance item with good results and peace of mind. Be sure and replace with the same amperage as what you have. Also inspect the wiring and terminals and replace as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Aut...29853966&psc=1

As far as what caused the trip, nothing glaring comes to mind. Has the problem reocurred? Were you trying to run an AC from an inverter? I think a little more info is needed.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
CampNBrew2

Inside the breaker
Old 02-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
JimSell

I Think you are correct

I did not know that that had a relay on it. I realized that was a terminal block and I suspect it opened and gunk may have not allowed it to close. Vibration from trip got it back together. I did not intentionally run the A/C. I simply turned on the thermostate controller. I may have used the furnace later on 12 v.
I have not turned it on again for fear it would pop and I'm not moving the RV for a couple of days.

Now what I am going to do is stop up the street, buy a replacement relay and try it later tonight. If no problem, no problem. If it pops, at least I can replace the relay.

Thanks ever so much.
JimSell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
CampNBrew2

Any auto parts store or sometimes even walmart will have the breakers (not relays fyi). Good luck!
Old 02-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
Lee

Great post!!!

I will be picking up a few to keep as spares. I see on the provided link that there are 6 different current ratings. I want to buy the same rating replacement breaker as originals but..... I can't find any markings on my originals showing there rated current.

Anyone have an educated guess as to rating? Chuckster? TT is in my signature.
Thanks,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Great post!!!

I will be picking up a few to keep as spares. I see on the provided link that there are 6 different current ratings. I want to buy the same rating replacement breaker as originals but..... I can't find any markings on my originals showing there rated current.

Thanks,
The rating is usually printed on the bottom or molded on the side. Depending on its relative position to the battery, I would guess a 40 or 50A closest and 30 A after that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Great post!!!

Thanks,
The 12 VDC "Mini-breakers" are actually "resettable fuses". They come in a variety of amperage ratings and protect the attached wiring/circuits from damage by opening before the current reaches a level that would melt/damage the wires attached to them. Typically, the amperage rating is stamped/printed on the bottom of the actual device. If you're going to "buy spares" make sure you buy what you need to replace what you have... Buying a hand full of 30 amp "mini-breakers" to replace 20 amp devices will "overpower the circuits" and buying a bunch of 50 amp "mini-breakers" to replace 30 amp ones will subject your trailer wiring to damage just like putting a 50 amp fuse in a 15 amp slot would subject the wiring to damage....

So, if you're going to buy spares to toss into a tool box, make sure you're buying what you actually need, not something that "looks the same but isn't"...

Most are 30 amp or 40 amp, but trying to determine what YOUR trailer has is, at best, a shot in the dark. You'll need to pull them off and try to find the markings on the ones that are on YOUR trailer.

ADDED: If the body of the "mini-breaker" is metal, the ampacity is probably stamped on the bottom of the metal container. If the body is plastic, there will probably be a sticker or the ampacity will be printed on the bottom. If plastic, be careful in cleaning or wiping the container to remove dirt or mud, you may also "wipe away the markings"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Your over night at Walmart, A/C will not run on 12v so You had shore power?. I do not get the theory part about the A/C (air conditioner) causing the problem. If you were only on 12v during the overnight stay when stuff quit, but worked later after travel I would suspect 12v power issues like low/poor batteries.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #10
Steveo57

There are three types of breakers too so make sure you get the right type. It will be marked on the side. Usually they use Type I which is auto resetting like the video shows above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210211-121409.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	31926