Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
Bob9209

Junk

Well since my last post about the left side of trailer brakes locking up, I took it to dealer and they took tires off(4) and said pads looked great magnets were fine. Could not find anything wrong and also repacked the bearings went out there today and noticed the inside wall behind the recliners has bowed outward were the tape covers the seam. This is the 3rd wall within the trailer that has done this!! It keystone a piece of crap or what! The trailer just came off warranty in October, I have a call to the dealer again to correct this problem. I’m hoping that this will be fixed under warranty. The trailer is a 2019 cougar bought in 2020. Is anyone else having these issues?
Bob9209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:45 AM   #2
Laredo Tugger

Bob,
I do not have your model trailer or the problems you are experiencing but I will say that there are many resources to be found on this forum that should be able to help you.
In a related post (warranty issues) one of the site members posted a phone number for a Keystone Factory Representative that lend some positive results for that member. I thought I copied and pasted that number but can not seem to find it. Maybe someone will see this and reprint that info. Start with the dealer for corrective action(s) and document everything. Paper trial, pictures, record conversations on your phone, everything. If no success then pursue the manufactures resources.
Your problem? (question), Yes, IMHO should be covered under the warranty. You mentioned previous wall joint problems that I assume were fixed under warranty (by this same dealer?) so there is no reason that this third request should be denied.
Curious, was it the protruding wall that was rubbing on the tires that may have felt like the brake problem? Without pictures I am trying to put together an image of your problem.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:07 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

They ALL have issues from the $10,000.00 starter to the $900,000.00 ones. I haven’t had to work on a million dollar one...YET.

I can certainly understand your frustration, and I don’t blame you for being upset. The wall that is bowing, was it repaired before? If so then Keystone like any other maker will deny that claim. Nobody pays twice, it will be on the dealer. If there is a stud you can probably repair it easier and better than the dealer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:15 AM   #4
Bob9209

Junk

Thanks for info on who to contact at keystone. But I have contacted them first time around when bedroom wall bowed twice in two different areas. Folsom RV has repaired both times under warranty and done a great job . This is the third time but different wall. It’s the inside paneling behind the recliners that the tape over the seams has given way causing wall to pop out. It’s an easy fix I’m sure, but one shouldn’t have to run back and forth every five minutes to the dealer. The wall has nothing to do with the brakes smoking when applied, hopefully that issue is corrected. Waiting for dealer to call back again.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob9209 View Post
Well since my last post about the left side of trailer brakes locking up, I took it to dealer and they took tires off(4) and said pads looked great magnets were fine. Could not find anything wrong and also repacked the bearings went out there today and noticed the inside wall behind the recliners has bowed outward were the tape covers the seam. This is the 3rd wall within the trailer that has done this!! It keystone a piece of crap or what! The trailer just came off warranty in October, I have a call to the dealer again to correct this problem. I’m hoping that this will be fixed under warranty. The trailer is a 2019 cougar bought in 2020. Is anyone else having these issues?
While I totally get your frustration I don’t think it helps to label keystone as junk.by doing so your implying we all have junk on this forum. I am pretty happy with my fifth wheel.
I did buy mine with the understanding that it will probably have issues down the road. ANYTHING that is mobile and is subjected to different owners with different styles of transporting it can and will have issues.
Have you ever thought it may be your towing setup? Does your trailer wag when going down the road? Is hitch setup properly? Do you jackknife it into spaces when backing up causing undo stress on frame?
My point is it could be many things and unless it was a pattern of a bunch of the same units having the same problem then it may very well be something caused by you.
I hope you get it resolved but I look at this forum as a bunch of people that made good choices on rv’s,not a bunch of suckers that got taken with a junk product. Good luck and hope it gets resolved
Old 02-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Your trailer, if it's a recent model, will have a 3 year structural warranty. There's no information available about your trailer, the model, year, when you bought it or any 1 year warranty status, so this post is based on the assumption that your trailer is older than 1 year but newer than 3 years (from date of purchase).

From your first post in this thread, you indicate, "the inside wall behind the recliners has bowed outward were the tape covers the seam." and in the most recent post, you state, "It’s the inside paneling behind the recliners that the tape over the seams has given way causing wall to pop out."

One, the first, leads someone to believe there is a frame issue with structural problems. The second leads someone (at least me) to realize that you're actually talking about a few staples that have separated, allowing an interior luan panel to pull away from the "otherwise serviceable structure"...

So, what appears as a major issue in the first post, appears, at least to me, to not be a structural problem but more a cosmetic problem. As such, it likely won't be covered by the 3 year structural warranty, so don't be surprised if Keystone denies the warranty claim and you wind up paying a pretty hefty repair bill to have the dealer 'restaple a panel and reinstall a piece of wallpaper tape.

I sense your frustration with your trailer not being "problem free" but if you glance through very many threads on this forum, you'll likely come away with the idea that, for nearly everyone who is a member of this forum, their trailer, like yours, is not going to be "perfect with no issues" during their ownership. Plan, after you get this wall fixed, that as you "move the trailer" you'll also be "moving to the next problem". Finding solutions to those problems is why this forum exists, so "get used to having something wrong with your trailer"... It's gonna happen again, possibly as soon as you pick it up from having this problem fixed.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:16 AM   #7
foldbak

Quote:

Bob, I see you're in El Dorado Hills. I'm in Shingle Springs. I assume you purchased from Folsom Lake RV? If so Call the service Manager Shawn and calmly explain the issue and believe me he will do his best to get Keystone to cover the repairs under warranty if at all possible. As far as dealerships go this is a good one! They've had a major overhaul in management and have taken exceptional care of me. My coach has had the entire roof replaced as well as every window under warranty. Good luck!

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #8
Bob9209

Junk

I thank everyone for their input. First of all I’m not here to insult anyone and I am not saying ALL KEYSTONE PRODUCTS ARE JUNK. I did my homework and this model 27RES came with good reviews. I even talked to a friend who manages Mike Thompson RV in los angles about them and he had one for me but was to far to travel to buy. Because most places here won’t work on them unless you bought it from them. That’s why I choose Folsom RV. I’ve owned motor homes and trailers before, and yes they all come with their own problems. This one has more cosmetic inside problems that should have been caught and corrected at the manufacture. The towing system is the Anderson hitch system, it doesn’t sway or nor has the trailer been Jack knifed. You would think were the panels meet and are taped over there would be a stud behind it to adhere it to but in most cases there is not. The dealer has had to put in one to join the walls together in the bedroom to hold it in place. It’s like buying a car most come out with minimal problems but every once in awhile you get one that is a problem. Well I guess it’s my turn.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
I thank everyone for their input. First of all I’m not here to insult anyone and I am not saying ALL KEYSTONE PRODUCTS ARE JUNK. I did my homework and this model 27RES came with good reviews. I even talked to a friend who manages Mike Thompson RV in los angles about them and he had one for me but was to far to travel to buy. Because most places here won’t work on them unless you bought it from them. That’s why I choose Folsom RV. I’ve owned motor homes and trailers before, and yes they all come with their own problems. This one has more cosmetic inside problems that should have been caught and corrected at the manufacture. The towing system is the Anderson hitch system, it doesn’t sway or nor has the trailer been Jack knifed. You would think were the panels meet and are taped over there would be a stud behind it to adhere it to but in most cases there is not. The dealer has had to put in one to join the walls together in the bedroom to hold it in place. It’s like buying a car most come out with minimal problems but every once in awhile you get one that is a problem. Well I guess it’s my turn.
No worries
I hope you sort it all out ... good luck!
Old 02-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #10
foldbak

Quote:

If you read deep enough into the forums you will discover that it's "not your turn" it's just the way it is industry wide. There's a 100 reasons why it is what it is but the bottom line is dont expect to buy a brand new trailer and expect it to compare it to buying a brand new car! There is no comparison. Buy a new trailer and in 12 to 24 months of warranty repairs and adjustments it will be all good.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote