Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #1
Traindude

Trip planning

Has anyone used trip wizard. How about the app Roadtrippers? Is there something else out there that for this. Not sure about trip wizard as it is web based. I before something in an app .
Traindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #2
Cbrez

I have subscribed to RV Trip Wizard for several years now. It’s the only app I pay annually for, but I think it is well worth the money if you are taking significant trips. And if like me, you want to make reservations weeks ahead of your arrival. It used to be a pretty lousy app but has been greatly improved in recent years. There is a 7 day free trial to familiarize yourself with the app before for take the plunge. I run it on my computer or tablet (not cell phone) and I’ve found it runs well using the iPhone hot spot for WiFi service. The price keeps going up though, so with no major trips in the foreseeable future I may drop it until we decide to take another big trek.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
I have subscribed to RV Trip Wizard for several years now. It’s the only app I pay annually for, but I think it is well worth the money if you are taking significant trips. And if like me, you want to make reservations weeks ahead of your arrival. It used to be a pretty lousy app but has been greatly improved in recent years. There is a 7 day free trial to familiarize yourself with the app before for take the plunge. I run it on my computer or tablet (not cell phone) and I’ve found it runs well using the iPhone hot spot for WiFi service. The price keeps going up though, so with no major trips in the foreseeable future I may drop it until we decide to take another big trek.
Am I wrong or do we get access to it from the forum ? I have it but don’t know if I pay for it
I just checked ..it is a fee but use login from here I believe
Old 01-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
jsb5717

It's a paid app. I have it as well. It's a great app for laying out the trip with a pretty good database of campgrounds and other info. However, keep in mind that it's routing will NOT route around hazards, such a low clearance overpasses. They claim that if you plan your trip in RVTW and then use their app, RV Life, that you can see the trip you planned and the app will notify of hazards. I haven't checked yet to see if it will reroute.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
However, keep in mind that it's routing will NOT route around hazards, such a low clearance overpasses.
Great point. Although I love the app for comparing campgrounds and gauging travel time and mileage for each leg of the trip, I still use my RV GPS and Rand McNally atlas to plan my actual route and ensure it’s good for the length, height and weight of my rig.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Old 01-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
jsb5717

I did just confirm that a trip planned in RVTW will route around hazards in the RV Life phone app. You can select an RV friendly route and it will take care of it. Good to know.
Old 02-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #7
The.Devo

We are planning a trip from MA down the coast to GA and I'm curious about this app. The Good Sam trip planner routes me around the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel but we are OK to go thru with propane turned off according to CBBT website. Does the RVTW app allow this? I will definitely buy if it knows about the CBBT and which bridges in NYC we can use.
The.Devo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
jsb5717

I just created a simple trip from Maine to Georgia along the coast and over the bridge on Hwy 13. I then viewed the trip in the RV Life app and it did not route me around the bridge. I do have Propane On Board selected in the app.

Edit: I see what you mean about the Good Sam planner. Selecting Propane reroutes around the bridge. It must assume that propane is left on while traveling. If you plan to travel with the propane off you can just deselect it to improve the routing. However, there are other places that will disallow propane altogether so it's a catch 22.

I guess I don't really know if the RV Life app simply assumes that the propane is off while traveling or doesn't have the propane restriction in its database for this bridge.

My guess is that like most apps both of these continue to be a work in progress and are constantly updating their databases based on user input and feedback. Seems like they could both add the function of selecting propane and choosing whether or not it will be turned off in order to route around both kinds of restrictions.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #9
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Devo View Post
We are planning a trip from MA down the coast to GA and I'm curious about this app. The Good Sam trip planner routes me around the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel but we are OK to go thru with propane turned off according to CBBT website. Does the RVTW app allow this? I will definitely buy if it knows about the CBBT and which bridges in NYC we can use.
Sign up for the free 7 day trial, plan your route and see if you like it enough to purchase it.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #10
jsb5717

Final thought on the Good Sam app. I used that one before I subscribed the RVTW. One huge difference to me is the limitation of parks on the GS planner. They are just flat missing a lot of them and they don't provide the ability to add parks to your trip that aren't in their database. To me it is far too incomplete to be an effective planning tool. YMMV
Old 02-07-2021, 01:31 PM   #11
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Devo View Post
Last time I checked, there was a limit on amount of propane you can take through the tunnels. Two 30 pound tanks on my Montana exceeded the limit, had to go around.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote