Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #21
Beast2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It will help those with two left feet while chewing bubble gum, but it doesn't stop you from backing into the roof overhang, that low hanging tree limb or the gas pump at the truck stop.....

You still need a spotter, knowledge of where you are and what's around the trailer. Otherwise, you can expect to dislike the system, possibly as early as the first experimental use.....
This ^^^^. Lol 😂. Winner winner!
Beast2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #22
notanlines

I hope all of you remember how long it took to earn your man-card. Practices as simple as having Dancing With the Stars on your spare TV are cause for loss of privileges.
I would be very wary of downloading this cutesy option. What if you were fishing in a local tournament and the bud in your boat found out you had to use this to get your boat in the water?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #23
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I hope all of you remember how long it took to earn your man-card. Practices as simple as having DWTS on your spare TV are cause for loss of privileges.
I would be very wary of downloading this cutesy option. What if you were fishing in a local tournament and the bud in your boat found out you had to use this to get your boat in the water?
I am trying to remember who was in a lather over the use of an "expression" someone said... was it "rolla"? Who was it that resented the use of that (not sure what it was... slang maybe?). WHAT THE HECK IS A DWTS? Now I am irate, going nts and purely agitated!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #24
notanlines

See george? You get to keep your card. You didn’t recognize “Dancing with the Stars.” You made a good point so I changed it.
All told, it might have been better if I used Antiques Roadshow as an example.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:50 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
See george? You get to keep your card. You didn’t recognize “Dancing with the Stars.” You made a good point so I changed it.
All told, it might have been better if I used Antiques Roadshow as an example.
Or maybe the "Lawrence Welk Show"
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Or maybe the "Lawrence Welk Show"
BUBBLES, Tiny Bubbles.... Oh wait, that was Don Ho, or was it Dean Martin ???

Lawrence Welk's bubble machine sure does bring back memories, lots of memories...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:54 AM   #27
Beast2017

Quote:
I probably shouldn't look at it this way, but:

There was a time people had to operate the steering wheel with their right hand, signal a left turn with their left hand, push the clutch pedal with their left foot, use the accelerator with their right foot and shift into second with their right hand (while still maintaining control of the steering wheel and not causing the car to "buck" by coordinating the clutch and accelerator pedal in unison)... Every 14 year old that had been driving the family tractor between the butterbeans found it easy to do, as did nearly every girl and boy, without the benefit of driver's ed, something that had not yet even been conceived....

Then around 1956 or 57, GM introduced the "hot light" and the "generator light" to replace the temperature and ammeter gauges...

Now, digital dashes still have a fuel gauge, but nearly all of them also have a "miles to empty" indicator... I wonder when the fuel gauge will become "trivial information that's no longer needed" and we go to just a "MET number" next to the digital speed... You know, sort of an "all encompassing display" like 256 55 270

256 miles to empty, 55MPH, 2700RPM

and, as long as no other lights/messages are illuminated, you can go back to reading your phone messages on the center screen and occasionally checking the automatic driver settings.....

I've got two grandkids (24 and 22) that I taught to drive a standard transmission. Both of them are married to great people with a huge, loving heart, but neither of them can even start one without running into the garage door as soon as they turn the key to start.....
Lol - thank you this made my day. I had to learn to drive a manual transmission as well.
Beast2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:53 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
BUBBLES, Tiny Bubbles.... Oh wait, that was Don Ho, or was it Dean Martin ???

Lawrence Welk's bubble machine sure does bring back memories, lots of memories...
Lawrence Welk was "follow the bouncing ball" for the sing a longs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:55 AM   #29
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Lawrence Welk was "follow the bouncing ball" for the sing a longs.
No, that was Mitch Miller...

Lawrence Welk was the bubble guy.

I have one of those backup devices on my truck. I used it twice in a parking lot to try it out. Have not used it since.

What ever happened to the thought of putting your hand at the bottom of the wheel and turn it in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go? That's how I learned, and it still works!

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:19 AM   #30
rcwyatt

backup

The only time I use it is when I have to go straight back for a long distance. Makes doing that very easy. Never use when I have to turn the trailer. It is handy when you just have to go straight back when the truck is not aligned with the trailer. Never had it loose signal. I use Stumpys method of using the bottom of the wheel.
rcwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #31
digitalpa

I bought a 2019 F150 with the backup assist, 3.5 L EcoBoost and 10 speed trans. Towing a 32 Ft Keystone Hideout. I find the backup assist a great tool. I can place the ball under the receiver without anyone helping, so I can pick up my trailer from storage without anyone accompanying me. My wife appreciates that. Backing into the space is still a two-man op because it's very tight. But it simplifies the process simply. My only tip is to place a light colored tape over the black receiver so it really stands out. That is what gives my eyes what they need to be dead-on when hooking up. Yes, it does loose sight of the decal on the frame occasionally usually caused by shadow. but it easy to pull forward 6 -12 inches to get it to sight on again.
digitalpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:52 AM   #32
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
]My favorite and the one that really helped me was to back up and turn the wheel in the direction of the side that is BAD.
Hold the wheel at the bottom, turn the other way, yada, yada..... Not good.
When backing turn the wheel to the side that is bad. If you need the trailer to go right, the left side is bad so turn that way.
Wow, I'm confused just reading that.

I was always taught, turn the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer's butt to go. I found this very easy to remember, and very easy to use.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast2017 View Post
Lol - thank you this made my day. I had to learn to drive a manual transmission as well.
DW grew up driving her dad's manual VW bug. My HS car was actually a pushbutton tranny, so I wasn't trained.

We got married during the early '70s oil drought, so we wanted our first car to be a manual (and I would learn). Test driving cars in VA, the salesman would offer me the wheel; I'd get in the back and DW would take it for a spin. It unnerved the Southern salesmen no end.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:32 AM   #34
Rber1234

Backup assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
As anyone used the Ford Trailer Backup Assist with a travel trailer?

Is-it a great?
It is a helpful tool to help you back your trailer up. You are just turning a small knob instead of turning your steering wheel. You still need to know how to back a trailer up. It does tend to loose sight of the control sticker in low light that you have to place on your trailer. When that happens you have to use your steering wheel.
Rber1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #35
gkainz

I guess i don't understand the advantage of taking my hands off the wheel and grabbing/turning a small knob?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #36
gtivr6mk4

I have used it on a ~25ft boat trailer before.
The turning works ok but the real benefit is when you're not giving any input at all. Get the trailer in the direction you want it to go, take your hands off the wheel/knob, and just back up.
The trailer will go straight back in that direction, and the truck will follow it. It's always funny watching the steering wheel spin wildly back and forth as the truck straightens out.
gtivr6mk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #37
Mikebikeman

It's an awesome feature for straight line backing of a small 10 foot utility trailer. The type you have to continually angle side to side to keep it from jack knifing.
Mikebikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #38
Spletbr

Back to the original question, the system works great and is a great help. Yes, you need to read the stickers but plan ahead and turn it on a little before you need it. Why not have some tech help you. Yes, you still need to pay attention, make sure the surroundings are ok, use a spotter, etc. but if you’re not a great backer (my hand is up) this certainly helps. I love it. It’s not perfect, my wife doesn’t understand why I don’t go straight immediately when she tells me to but we’re good.
Cooper and Penny (pups)
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #39
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Wow, I'm confused just reading that.

I was always taught, turn the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer's butt to go. I found this very easy to remember, and very easy to use.
Put your hand on the bottom of the wheel or turn in the opposite direction or turn in the direction that is bad.
They all just get the same thing.

If you are backing up and the right side is near a tree the right side i bad, turn that way.
It's all pretty much the same it's just whatever you can make work.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #40
RV802

And we had to use the left foot to operate the high beam/low beam button on the floor!
RV802 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford