Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2021, 09:13 AM   #41
LurchOR

Does the Xantrex inverter supplied with the OTG pkg integrate with the incommand system?
LurchOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #42
Giant

No. If installed at the factory, the Xantrex inverter can only be turned on via the switch on the unit itself, unless you buy and install the remote panel yourself.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #43
LurchOR

Thanks for the info
LurchOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:01 PM   #44
Ernest125

Inverter/charger installation

So we finally picked up our 25RDSWE on Saturday so I was able to scope out the electrical. I was a little disappointed in how the factory cleans up after themselves. Anyway after looking at the basic setup my plan now is to remove the supplied converter and replace it with an Xantrex XC2000 with remote panel. Should make for a clean installation and I will still be able to add solar sometime this spring.
Ernest125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:57 AM   #45
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest125 View Post
So we finally picked up our 25RDSWE on Saturday so I was able to scope out the electrical. I was a little disappointed in how the factory cleans up after themselves. Anyway after looking at the basic setup my plan now is to remove the supplied converter and replace it with an Xantrex XC2000 with remote panel. Should make for a clean installation and I will still be able to add solar sometime this spring.
Someone will probably correct me but I think you want to keep the original converter and just remove the wires going to the batteries from the converter ..you still need the converter to supply 12 volts to all the lights and accessories,furnace etc ... your xantrex xc will just charge the batteries and supply 120 when boondocking... I have the same xantrex but I went with the x model because the new converters are basically smart chargers .. mine is
Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #46
KimNTerry

I installed a Xantrex Freedom HF 1800 Inverter Charger 4 years ago. My converter is bypassed and 12 volt power comes from the batteries. When I'm plugged in to shore power, 12 volt still comes form the batteries and the charger keeps the batteries topped off. The XC2000 was not an option at the time. The system has done us well for the last 4 years. All that being said, I did leave the converter installed as an emergency backup in case the Xantrex fails during an outing. Still need to install solar on my rig. (One of these days...)

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #47
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
I installed a Xantrex Freedom HF 1800 Inverter Charger 4 years ago. My converter is bypassed and 12 volt power comes from the batteries. When I'm plugged in to shore power, 12 volt still comes form the batteries and the charger keeps the batteries topped off. The XC2000 was not an option at the time. The system has done us well for the last 4 years. All that being said, I did leave the converter installed as an emergency backup in case the Xantrex fails during an outing. Still need to install solar on my rig. (One of these days...)
I think that your original converter is a converter/charger...one purpose is to charge the batteries and the other purpose is to convert 120ac down to 12V dc...

. if you take the batteries out of the rv and throw them as far as you can and plug in shore power you still have 12 volts to the lights and furnace and water pump etc...

If you purchase a inverter/ charger and want that to charge your batteries then you only have to disconnect the wires leading out of the original converter/ charger that lead to the batteries .

Your new inverter / charger would provide 120v ac from the batteries while boondocking AND charge the batteries BUT if you want to have the rv operate on 12 V dc while hooked up to shore power then why not leave the original converter in as it produces 12 v dc much easier then thru the batteries..

I believe this is what most people do and might be how yours actually is if someone else installed your inverter... if you installed it I would probably hook up the converter again
Old 03-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #48
Ernest125

Thanks for the feedback. Now that everything is here, I will take another look and decide for sure which way I think I should go.
Ernest125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #49
KimNTerry

Just providing feedback on a question and how mine is configured I'm not seeking approval or advice.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #50
Rvmom46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Removed that black dome shaped cover that makes you think Keystone has some sort of controller, inverter or at least some wire terminations... Nada, Zip, Nothing. Makes a goo emergency water bowl for the dog.
They have done nothing but sell you an idea.
I am dealing with this exact thin in my new 21 keystone i cant find the wires did you ever get it hooked up?
Rvmom46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #51
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvmom46 View Post
I am dealing with this exact thin in my new 21 keystone i cant find the wires did you ever get it hooked up?

Would you mind posting a picture of the label or bubble/dish covering, and a picture of what is behind it?

Thanks
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:59 PM   #52
Rvmom46

Cover Photos

Attached is the photo of the cover we hadnt took it off yet but there is nothing behind it but the grey carpet no holes no wires its just on top grey carpet. we remove the whole panel of grey carpet and behind that was wires coming in for leveler and inverter in picture. No extra wires no connections.

we opened up the battery compartment and there's a wire makes zamp solar hooked battery and dont know where it cam from possible the roof.

its seems like hooked direct without the thought for a controller.

any help would be great thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zamp cover.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	33994   Click image for larger version

Name:	zamp inverter.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	33995  
Rvmom46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #53
Blueswede

We have it on our new Cougar. The nice thing is that it keeps the batteries charged at all times. No need to have it plugged in. That’s a plus for me…
Old 06-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #54
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvmom46 View Post
Attached is the photo of the cover we hadnt took it off yet but there is nothing behind it but the grey carpet no holes no wires its just on top grey carpet. we remove the whole panel of grey carpet and behind that was wires coming in for leveler and inverter in picture. No extra wires no connections.

we opened up the battery compartment and there's a wire makes zamp solar hooked battery and dont know where it cam from possible the roof.

its seems like hooked direct without the thought for a controller.

any help would be great thank you.
That’s just a spot where the dealer would install the solar controller or the rv owner..if you have a portable folding suitcase solar panel it will have it’s own solar charge controller. If you mount your own solar charger you will find the rooftop solar wires are in the vicinity..mine ran overhead and down into the battery compartment. It’s just to show you where it’s best to install..like the sticker for bedroom tv and winegard gateway,or rear view camera...it’s marketing but not deceptive IMO..some people can’t visualize without props
Old 06-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #55
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post
Just providing feedback on a question and how mine is configured I'm not seeking approval or advice.
Wasn’t my intention to give you advice or “approval”.. sorry if I offended you...I always took these things as discussions not sealed envelope answers
Old 07-11-2021, 03:19 PM   #56
Cimriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
The wires they provide are too small for me and for most.
I've seen several comments like this and wonder what I am missing. The wires that they pull from the roof are 8AWG. 8AWG wire is rated for 40amps, with a ten percent voltage loss over 30ft.

So if I have four 200w solar panels wired with 2 sets of panels in series, and then those two sets wired in parallel. The voltage output would be about 40vdc minus 4vdc = 36vdc presented to the charger, with about 25amps. Seems to me 8AWG wire can handle this just fine.

800w on the roof might not be adequate for some folks, but should be for most.

So what am I missing here?
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #57
Cimriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest125 View Post
Anyway after looking at the basic setup my plan now is to remove the supplied converter and replace it with an Xantrex XC2000 with remote panel.
I think when he said converter he must have meant inverter.
Cimriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #58
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimriver View Post
I've seen several comments like this and wonder what I am missing. The wires that they pull from the roof are 8AWG. 8AWG wire is rated for 40amps, with a ten percent voltage loss over 30ft.

So if I have four 200w solar panels wired with 2 sets of panels in series, and then those two sets wired in parallel. The voltage output would be about 40vdc minus 4vdc = 36vdc presented to the charger, with about 25amps. Seems to me 8AWG wire can handle this just fine.

800w on the roof might not be adequate for some folks, but should be for most.

So what am I missing here?
Nope, I don't think you're missing anything.

Sometimes a "generalized" statement is so generalized its no longer accurate. It's easier, and more informative, to talk specific numbers as you did in your example.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, solar