Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
arosenwinkel

Outdoor Kitchen Recurring Mildew

We've had our TT for three years now, and use the outdoor kitchen on a semi-regular basis. To call it an outdoor kitchen is a bit of a stretch; it is the fold down style that contains a double burner, and a basin with a water quick-connect.

The last two seasons we have noticed a fairly significant amount of mildew within the compartment, mostly on the bungee that holds everything tight, but also on the water connections, and generally on the surfaces throughout. Please note, we don't really use the water connection because there is no drain. Additionally, the cam-locks are rusting/corroding, so I can't really tell if the moisture is from the water connection, or from the outside of the compartment.

We've wiped everything out and yet, even in as short as 2-3 weeks, the mildew continues to reappear.

Anybody else have this issue? Any innovative solutions?
arosenwinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I would check a few things from your description. Sounds like water intrusion from somewhere. One question, what are you using to clean the surfaces? If the cleaner doesn't kill mold and mildew it will return rapidly in an enclosed space. Also open that door and allow air to circulate even if your not going to use it. I'm in a habit of opening the kitchen (ours is a full kitchen) and both pass thru doors every time I spend time at the camper. I'll open them up and keep them open if I'm working on the camper, or loading it (usually am, placing things in the fridge and cabinets anyway. Moisture is the enemy of any small space and air circulation is the best remedy after a not allowing it's intrusion.

Id' suggest starting at the top and work your way down. Check the roof and roof to side seam. It's a vulnerable;e spot for a tree limb to bite the trailer. Then check the seal on the door. Any visible signs of a leak? is the seal in good order i.e. no splits, tears, or crushed spots? You can test the seal by placing a dollar bill or a similar sized/thickness piece of wax paper ionm the door frame sticking out and close the door. If you can easily pull the bill out then it is not sealing. You would need to repeat this around the perimeter with careful focus on the corners.

After that move inside and check for obvious water fillings for leaks and if there's a fridge check the condensate drain. Those small "dorm size" fridges drain down to a pan underneath around the compressor.

Hope this helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote