Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
zim390

Rubber Roof Coating

My wife and I recently purchased a 2004 Zeppelin 281 in above average condition. Although there are no water leaks, the original EDPM roof is showing significant aging and I am considering applying Dicor's Rubber Roofing Coating System myself to revitalize it. From the research I've done, this product appears to do a great job of restoring the original EDPM membrane. I called Keystone the other day to confirm that I could walk on the roof, and to my surprise they said NO! The 2004 Zeppelin 281 has a non-walkable roof. So I'm wondering now how to get this job done, even if I have to hire someone to do it. I live in Massachusetts and at a loss on where to begin looking. I've placed a few calls to local RV centers and most do not do this. They will however replace the old membrane with a new one for an average cost of approx $8000. Any ideas / advice would be appreciated.
zim390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, I think the temperature in Massachusetts, this time of year, would preclude doing anything with a DICOR product until late spring (at the earliest). That said, depending on your weight, you can likely use a couple of 2'x2' blocks of "rigid Styrofoam" cut from a sheet of 2" thick "pink stuff" from Lowe's or Home Depot.

I indicated, "depending on your weight" because if you're under about 220 pounds, the above would spread your weight across multiple rafters and distribute it evenly on the thin OSB surface decking... On the other hand, if you're "a big boy" weighing more than 250 or so, then working from scaffolding erected along the sides of the trailer is much safer than trying to get on the roof.

The Zeppelin line was "named such" because it was one of the "first entries into the ultra-light concept". From it sprang multiple lines of RV's with restrictions on getting on top of the RV. Today, I'd guess that around half the RV's built have "non-walkable roof structures" and things are getting lighter with every model year introductions....

ADDED: Keep in mind that the OSB used in the roof decking on your trailer is "likely 1/4" or possibly 3/8". You can verify what's up there by removing the garnish ring from the bathroom vent fan. Remove the 4 corner screws, the plastic trim will drop down. You'll find the ceiling membrane stapled to the vent framework. Pull the membrane away from the frame and you can visualize the roof decking. Remember that it's probably OSB that's 16+ years old, has lost some of its original strength because of years of aging, twisting as the trailer was towed and from years of exposure to humidity, possible water leaks and potential water damage and/or dry rot. So, there's a very good chance that even if your trailer was constructed with thicker OSB decking, it may not have the same strength as a newer trailer with thinner OSB decking.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
zim390

Thanks so much John for the information and insight. As for the timing of the Dicor treatment, you are right.....I was planning to wait until early summer, when it's at least 70 degrees or higher. As for my weight, I'm around 180lbs, so your suggestion to use rigid styrofoam to distribute my weight is a great option to try. I will also use your suggestion to determine the roof decking material, as I am now curious as to the actual material and thickness.

Thanks again
Ed
Old 01-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Hblick48

Check this product out. I met the owner and he said that this is a proprietary formulation that he developed. About the same price as the Dicor system (primer and coating). Free shipping.

https://thervroofman.com/shop?olsPage=products
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Check this product out. I met the owner and he said that this is a proprietary formulation that he developed. About the same price as the Dicor system (primer and coating). Free shipping.

https://thervroofman.com/shop?olsPage=products
Personally I would never use urethane , thermal plastic acrylic paint on a rubber roof. I like to see EPDM rubber roof coating clearly marked on the product. There are other material approved for rubber roofs other then Dicor? I have used the Dicor 2 part system along the edges of my toyhualer the EPDM coating is extremely tough.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
Badbart56

https://gaco.com/new-solution-rv-roof-restoration/

This is what's on my toy hauler. No more maintenance, just wash it once or twice a year. I had it done by a company in Georgia that's done hundreds of them. Last roof I'll ever need.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2JYs52izR...ochure%2B3.jpg

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
https://gaco.com/new-solution-rv-roof-restoration/

This is what's on my toy hauler. No more maintenance, just wash it once or twice a year. I had it done by a company in Georgia that's done hundreds of them. Last roof I'll ever need.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2JYs52izR...ochure%2B3.jpg
Using 100% silicone if you ever have to repair the roof good luck finding a tape or decor product that will stick .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Using 100% silicone if you ever have to repair the roof good luck finding a tape or decor product that will stick .
It's not a problem. If you do a little research you would learn that repairs are easily made using the available primers that are made for silicone. Dicor even makes this now.

https://cht-silicones.com/products/primers

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
zim390

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0409 View Post
I have a travel trailer that requires recoating 1 to 2 years, I have used Heng's rubber roof coating for the 2015, it does its job, I put on as on instructed, I use when ever my 29 ft travel trailer needs it be cause it works as promised, also they are always prompt in delivery to me. See no need to change, because If it works why risk changing it. I think its a high quality. I always double coat so I don't miss a spot.

Thanks for the info. What I've learned is this product should NOT be used on EDPM RV roofs because it is acrylic based, meaning it is NOT water resistant long term, and will flake off, period. It will make you feel great about your roof at first, but then it will be ruined after it's been on long enough to flake. This is a temporary fix to stave off a roof replacement for a year or two, at best!

If you buy this: know that it WILL flake off eventually even if you apply it only a perfectly prepped surface. That's just how acrylics work. This isn't a negative judgement against the seller or the manufacturer... it's just a poor product all around in terms of long-term RV roof care.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:51 AM   #10
Campermike

I have a non walkable roof and weigh about the same as the op. I have used long 2x4s to spread my weight when changing the a/c gasket and it worked great. Rigid styrofoam is probably even better.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by David0409 View Post
I have a travel trailer that requires recoating 1 to 2 years, I have used Heng's rubber roof coating for the 2015, it does its job, I put on as on instructed, I use when ever my 29 ft travel trailer needs it be cause it works as promised, also they are always prompt in delivery to me. See no need to change, because If it works why risk changing it. I think its a high quality. I always double coat so I don't miss a spot.
Just curious?
How/why did you determine it needed coating the 1st time? And why the need every couple years?
I've had several RVs with both types of roof & only than regular cleaning, inspection & occasional recaulking, which is all that's recommended by the manufacturer of both types, I've never seen a need to coat it with anything other than soap & water.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 05:45 PM   #12
gearhead

I was wondering the same. The only roof I have totally recoated was an aluminum roof on a 1980 vintage cabover truck camper. I think I used a white "Cool Seal" product.
But, I do use Hengs rubber roof coating on my Bigfoot cabover. However, just around the roof penetrations...vent, skylight, fridge vent, etc. That is what Bigfoot used at the factory so rather than risk using something incompatible I continue with the Hengs.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof