Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
Jengiemulkey

TV mount on hollow wall

We have the 2020 287QBS and we want to mount a TV on the divider walk between the master bedroom and the living room/kitchen area. I saw a post somewhere where someone used lexan/plexiglass sheets, washers and nuts/bolts to mount it to the hollow wall that divides the compartments but I can’t seem to locate that post. Any ideas or hints/links? The divider is a 3.5” hollow wall with no studs in the middle. Thanks in
Advance
Jengiemulkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Logan X

If it is truly a hollow wall, and it was finished with panels that are attached by staples, I would take it apart and add som wood structure to support the TV. While I was in there, I would probably add some electrical to power what I needed.

Please only do what you are comfortable doing and have the skills which may be required.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:25 AM   #3
Mikendebbie

Years ago I mounted a small TV on an interior wall separating the living area from the front bedroom in an Alpenlite fifth wheel. I found the studs in the wall and attached a piece of 1/2” plywood on the bedroom side and living room side...basically sandwiching the wall between plywood spanning the studs I found. I finished the plywood to match the wall (may have been white paint not stain - now that I think about it). Then I used bolts long enough to go thru both pieces if plywood to mount the TV bracket, and I had big washers on the bolts. The plywood gussets and the washers act to spread the load across the studs so that there was no weight on the thin wall paneling. This was back in the day before the thin light TVs that we have now so it was some significant weight on the wall. I added a strap to hold it in place for travel. We enjoyed it for years.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:06 AM   #4
xrated

Mounting a TV on a hollow wall without some sort of back will not have a happy ending. My neighbor bought a new Coleman camper a few years back and there was a sticker on the wall that stated that was where to mount an optional TV. He purchased the TV and when he went to mount the wall bracket, there was nothing behind the thin paneling. The dealer didn't believe him and told him to bring it in and they would mount if for him, because they were just sure he didn't know what he was doing. Fast forward.....they had the camper for 4 or 5 days and took the wall apart. The factory had overlooked placing the backer board material in the wall during construction of the camper. They warrantied it and mounted the TV for him at no cost.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tv mount