Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #21
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
I just use Microsoft Streets and Trips on the laptop. I have been across the USA many times and only got in a jam one time.
The Smithsonian called, they want their outdated software back....
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #22
Tatanka Ob Waci

RV App

When we first started out 4 years ago, we downloaded an app called "AllStays" it is very helpful in showing low bridges and it also has every campground in the US listed so if you don't have a reservation, you can find a place close to you. The app when we got it was $9.99 and it is well worth the money. You can also pick up a Truckers Atlas and it has a myriad of information relating to State laws, etc.
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #23
travelin texans

Honestly I never only checked/planned our routes with only 1 source.
We started with a Garmin, once we had it updated it was worthless, & paper maps. By then we had phones with Google maps along with the paper maps. Finally the truck had navigation + the phone + maps that I would check all 3 + the website instructions of our destination. All that being said there were times that all had a different route, the Garmin & and the truck nav were usually the ones with the worse, not necessarily wrong, directions.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #24
Keystoned

Did anyone mention the Park Advisor App?
Old 03-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #25
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit59 View Post
Was wondering what everyone recommends for travel with camper in tow? I know Google maps and Waze sometimes sends me down dirt roads,backroads. narrow stuff, etc...Is there a great app, even pay for, for traveling across this great country of ours!!! Thanks all....
Garmin makes an RV specific GPS. You enter weight, length, height, width etc and configure for fastest route NOT shortest. Also if you are not sure use google earth to verify.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Honestly I never only checked/planned our routes with only 1 source.
We started with a Garmin, once we had it updated it was worthless, & paper maps. By then we had phones with Google maps along with the paper maps. Finally the truck had navigation + the phone + maps that I would check all 3 + the website instructions of our destination. All that being said there were times that all had a different route, the Garmin & and the truck nav were usually the ones with the worse, not necessarily wrong, directions.
How long ago was this experience with the Garmin. I've had several Garmins over the last 7-10 years that have been extreemly reliable. I did purchase the Magellan RV GPS when it first came out (my misteak for buying a first) and it was a door stop. That think would "hang"' and become useless and of course allways at the worst time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
How long ago was this experience with the Garmin. I've had several Garmins over the last 7-10 years that have been extreemly reliable. I did purchase the Magellan RV GPS when it first came out (my misteak for buying a first) and it was a door stop. That think would "hang"' and become useless and of course allways at the worst time.
Got it as a Christmas gift in '07, paid for the update in '09 or '10 & drop kicked into to trash about 6 months later, there was no telling where we might end up following it's directions.
The final straw was it led us to the end of a boat ramp all the while telling us to "proceed 800' to your destination" which was into the lake, fortunately not towing at the time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Back then all the GPS companies used the same software bt Navtech and because Navtech charged for map updates so did the gps manufacturers. Navtech stopped charging and that's why for several years the GPS manuf don't charge for map updates. If the Navtech map was wrong it wouldn't matter which GPS you bought the directions would have been the same.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #29
flrtrader

Just tried the search you recommended Fly... Said no results, Must be doing something wrong?
flrtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #30
Duramike

RV Life App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Copper View Post
I have the RV life app. and have compared it to my rv gps and it was the same route. You might check it out.
Retired Copper, I agree. I’ve used this one my last couple trips and found it to be pretty darn good. You can enter your RV specs, towing with propane, etc. You can download offline maps as well for those times when cell service is lacking. Happy with it so far.

Happy Camping,

Mike
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrtrader View Post
Just tried the search you recommended Fly... Said no results, Must be doing something wrong?
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnTheRoad-c518-p1.html
Old 03-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #32
johnlewis

Look at rvtripwizard.com. We have used this while full timing, and now that we are part timing. $39.00 per year. You can enter information on your rig, and it will warn you about low bridges, etc. to avoid. You can also set it up to avoid toll roads and ferries. I loved using this app, because we could even estimate what our trip would cost.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:14 PM   #33
Rocketsled

My experience is limited, but I’ve had good experience with truckmap on the iPhone. It takes into account vehicle layout, envelope, weight, and plans accordingly.

Apple’s built in map and Waze should be avoided like the plague, lest they send you smack dab through the middle of down town, because it’s a minute shorter than the interstate.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing