Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 03:44 AM   #21
Steve's 70-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
I'm confused about the 30A cord issue - do you have a spare 30A cord you use sometimes as an extension?

Ken
Ken, yes. I have a 30amp cord left over from the first camper we bought. Did not want to leave it in camper when we traded it in.

I carry it with us now, I may need it or may find someone in a CG that needs one.

Just asking a lot of questions, do not want to buy a protector and then find out I need something else. For the cost of this item, want to get it right the first time.

Electric/wiring is not a strong point for me. Sort Of run into this stuff at work, but that is why you have a electric contractor on the job. I just tell him what I need done.
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:06 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

PPLMotorhomes.com is now selling a power management gizmo made by Southwire called a Surge Guard which appears to have similar capabilities to the Progressive EMS I own but a few bucks less. They are selling the 50A version of the Progressive EMS for almost $500 now.

I did have my Progressive unit die a year or so back and the company promptly replaced it with a new one. I have one of the ones that hang off the outlet on the power pedestal.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:03 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

The Progressive ems-hw50c is usually sold for around $269-279 at most internet RV parts outlets. I've seen them marked as high as $499 in some RV parts departments in local "RV Stealerships". Do your shopping "due diligence" and you should find it available for well under $300.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Here is an interested piece that the OP might benefit from. Just to be clear, I don't have any favorites in this tech but Progressive has been around for a long time and has a good rep.

https://weretherussos.com/rv-surge-protectors-ems/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #25
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's 70-5 View Post
<clip>
Just asking a lot of questions, ...<clip>
Joe

That's what so great about this forum. I also pose questions - lots of advise and help is available here.

I just want to be sure I understand the question/problem so as not to go off on a tangent or provide erroneous information. (I'm told I often over-think a problem or question!)

Ken

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #26
mj5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Marshall,
Just to be clear, "Surge Guard" (note caps) is also a manufacturer's name of trusted and reliable EMS systems, as opposed to "a surge protector" (no caps). I think what you were saying is that "surge protectors" are a waste of money; and I agree with that statement.

I absolutely concur with all the statements that an EMS is a MUST HAVE with an RV. We have a Surge Guard 34951 50A EMS and use the portable 40301 bluetooth portable monitor, available at: https://www.technorv.com/50a-surge-g...tection-34951/

We love this EMS and blue tooth monitor. It tells me exactly how much load is on each half of my 50A system. The supplier - a great place to do business and get support. No, I'm not an employee - I love their how to videos and after purchase support.
Attachment 27338Attachment 27339
The photos show the load with all 3 AC units running on our Raptor.
How did you get all three AC's to run at once in your Raptor?
We have a 2017 Raptor 412TS, and only two at a time will come on.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #27
Tireman9

I went with Surge Guard from TechnoRV

Good instructional videos.
Note the short 10 sec "test" time. I understand some EMS take a minute or more before they complete the initial test.

I do not sell EMS just a satisfied user. Discovered one RV campground pedestal that had reverse polarity so the S>G> paid for itself in first season.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #28
Rayray04

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Get an EMS, surge guard only is a waste of money. Most common issues in cg are low voltage, missing neutral, missing ground, incorrect wiring, and power going on and off rapidly (lights flickering during a storm). The EMS will protect against that, a surge protector will not.

Surge Guard 44270 Entry Level... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IACGFOA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I bought this one ,, haven’t tried it yet but what do u think
Rayray04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayray04 View Post
Surge Guard 44270 Entry Level... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IACGFOA...p_mob_ap_share
That device will not protect your RV from high/low voltage, out of phase voltage, ground issues or overloads. All it will do is "hang there, lights blinking while your trailer equipment "burns up from low voltage".... It will "identify the problem" but not protect you from the problem by turning off power to your trailer.

All it "protects" against is a "surge voltage"... It won't even "protect" against 90 volts 140 VAC, it'll just hang there, green light lit indicating "everything is OK while your air conditioner "smokes away, just before catastrophic failure"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Surge Guard 44270 Entry Level... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IACGFOA...p_mob_ap_share

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, again, but that unit does little to nothing for you. John was right about what little it does. And you have to be looking at it to assess the little lights real time then take protective action, yourself, to keep bad things from happening....that won't happen.

Attached is the instructions for that unit. Note that nothing in it says it protects you real time. Also read the very last paragraph just before the little box where you record the info for the unit. It tells you there that Southwire does offer products that protect you - this one does not. I would buy the EMS before I went anywhere. With new parks popping up and very little attention being paid to accurate, safe work it's a crap shoot at what you might encounter when you plug in. The EMS will never let that miswired plug get to your trailer; the one you have will.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-con...00057-1D2D.pdf
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #31
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj5150 View Post
How did you get all three AC's to run at once in your Raptor?
We have a 2017 Raptor 412TS, and only two at a time will come on.

-Mike
Yes, Keystone uses a "PowerShare Switch" to feed 2 AC units from one 120VAC circuit breaker. The PowerShare is an "either/or" switch, typically only allowing either the bedroom or garage AC to operate at a time. You can move one of those AC units out of the PowerShare and into the WFCO power center, connected to a new circuit breaker or to an unused breaker or to a shared breaker. We pulled the garage AC wires out of the PowerShare and connected them to the "washer/dryer" circuit breaker which we don't use. If we ever install a washer, we will just have to shut off the AC before using the washer. The thermostat and other equipment (3 zone monitoring) worked correctly without any other modifications!

PowerShare Switch: 00-10031-000-Power-Share-Switch-RevA.pdf and https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...5&postcount=17

For the whole story including performance tests with 3 AC units:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=39365
Check out the links within these posts for additional information.

This is the best modification I could ever make to our Raptor!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

You will not buy a true EMS (electrical management system) for $100, period. For a 50 amp EMS you are looking at north of $300. Google "50 amp RV EMS" and you will see what's available.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #33
LewisB

Quote:
Quick! Sent it back to Amazon! You need a true EMS like a Surge Guard 34951 or one of the Progressive Industry EMS units- yes they are more than 3 times as expensive. The one you selected is a complete waste of money IMHO.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #34
Tireman9

If you buy from a big box or Amazon you will not get real support from someone that knows RVs. I strongly recommend TechnoRV for Sales and Support
https://www.technorv.com/brands/Surge-Guard.html
They have 30A on sale for $209 and 50 A on sale for $299.
These units will shut off the connection or never turn on the connection if there are problems from the power source.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #35
Kzneft

Surge guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich17 View Post
Do 50 amp surge protectors work and what brands? Thinking of installing one on hook up. I have a 2019 Avalanche 375 RD.
I mounted mine behind the wall in the wall in the cargo area. I like it, and it works well, but when I go to run the generator or solar you have to wait about 2 minutes for it to make sure the power is stable, then it will kick on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Guard2.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	27716  
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #36
johnlewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just bypass a "surge protector" and go with a regular EMS (electrical management system). Surge protectors don't do much in an RV environment and the EMS will save your bacon. The 2 most popular seem to be Surge Guard and Progressive. Similar in cost (more expensive than a surge guard) and both come available as a portable or permanent install in the RV.

As far as "thinking about one".....don't!! Just get one before you even start using power peds anywhere. The EMS has saved me multiple times as well as many others.
I second "don't think about it". The EMS is much cheaper than your electronics, a refrigerator or an AC unit.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #37
mikz86ta

We have a Hughes Power Watchdog. Has an app to use via Bluetooth. You can monitor the current on both lines. Has done it's auto power off function once when line 2 had a park surge. Soft turn on or reboot. Feels nice to know the surge guard is a separate replacable board...so that the whole unit doesn't need to be replaced in a catastrophic event
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #38
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Note the short 10 sec "test" time. I understand some EMS take a minute or more before they complete the initial test.
The Progressive I have has a jumper shunt that lets you choose between a delay of 0:15 or 2:15. The latter is necessary if your AC isn't smart enough to protect itself from a brief outage that would slam its compressor. Mine isn't smart.