Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Duster_Canuck

Smile 2018/19 Hideout 28BHS TT - Misc Stuff and Fun

Hi Folks.

We pulled the trigger on a 2018 Hideout 28BHS. Picked it up a week ago.

Just looking for other newer 28BHS owners to kibitz with over likes / dislikes, challenges / opportunities, repairs / fixes, kool hacks and pimp-out ideas.

We were really sold on the 2018 new floor plan layout. The 2018 and newer coaches has flipped the typical U-dinette and tri-sofa bed layout, and moved the TV to the right side wall between the fridge and bathroom, directly across from the sofa. We love this layout as you are now facing the TV head on from the sofa or dinette, instead of having to twist your head/body 45 degrees with the older, more common location along the queen bed centre half-wall.

Keystone has also been able to substantially increase the size of the TV to 50"! ... I know, I know... why are we watching TV when you are camping!! lol... but on those cold rainy days or buggy nights it'll be good to cuddle up with the kids and watch Disney movies while I fall asleep... sounds wonderful! There is however a minor compromise in pantry storage loss. The upper double bunk will be used as spare storage with totes and drawers

Looking forward to the '18 season. Winter just gave up it's grip on Ontario, and the first Long May Weekend is upon us in two weeks!!

Please share your experiences with us, your photos, and whatever else tickles your fancy!

Maybe one day we can swap buying from dealer stories - I got a good one!

Happy Camping Everyone!

Duster
Duster_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #2
t_dogg80

We just bought our first trailer ever - the exact same model that you did. We just took it out in the maiden weekend and all went well. I learned a few things. Like to that the front waste pipe is just the galley. The back pipe grey and black. I thought the front was grey and had a bunch if grey dump out of the back pipe. I now have a y connector that connects everything. I just open valves.

Other than that we didn't have any surprises. I guess the fact that we ran out of propane in one bottle was weird. But we did have the furnace on "cozy". We live in BC and it the weather sucked that weekend.

Keep in touch.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
mfifield01

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_dogg80 View Post

Other than that we didn't have any surprises. I guess the fact that we ran out of propane in one bottle was weird. But we did have the furnace on "cozy". We live in BC and it the weather sucked that weekend.

Keep in touch.
If it's cold, you can go through a propane tank in 1-2 nights. It was in the 30s here in December and my tank was done about 4a the second night.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
Duster_Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_dogg80 View Post
... learned a few things. Like to that the front waste pipe is just the galley. The back pipe grey and black. I thought the front was grey and had a bunch if grey dump out of the back pipe. I now have a y connector that connects everything. I just open valves.

I'll have to check the valves next weekend. The trailer is already at the Campground getting set up. Y connector - did you add that on after market? Photos?
Good to know about the propane usage with the furnace. Didn't think it used that much that fast... thanks for sharing!
Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
t_dogg80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_Canuck View Post
I'll have to check the valves next weekend. The trailer is already at the Campground getting set up. Y connector - did you add that on after market? Photos?
Good to know about the propane usage with the furnace. Didn't think it used that much that fast... thanks for sharing!
I don't have a pic but I ran a 10' extension off of each dump pipe going to the y connector, which then has a 15' sewer hose going to the sewer connection. The black tank flush works well as well.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:27 AM   #6
Duster_Canuck

Hi from Ontario!

Hope you got out camping with your Hideout 28BHS this past weekend!

After using the Hideout 28BHS coach for the time this May Victoria Day Long Weekend I noticed a few things about the trailer...

1. Very short on electrical outlets inside the trailer. Only 1 in the entire kitchen/ living room section (not counting the one behind the TV which is not really accessible). Maybe I'm missing one and love you to point it out to me! None by the U-dinette table above or below the benches. Two in the queen bedroom. 1 each in the bunks at the back wall, and are too far away and need an extension cord to bring towards the front or sofa.

2. Very short on cupboard storage. We needed to convert the coat/shoe closet to a food pantry and kitchen appliance storage below. Keystone could have added more cupboards over the sink. That would block the "entry view" but the storage is more important.

3. The top double bunk should/could be a fold up single bunk so that the folks on the bottom bunk could at least sit up without banging the head on the top bunk. Lots of folks only use the top bunk as storage anyways or fold it away as a spare bed. As it is anything up there at the back is very difficult to access. I hated having to crawl up there!

4. Tri-fold sofa couch was very comfortable to sit and sleep on (directly in front of TV! , my favourite feature of this trailer!), BUT one of the top of the arm rests (left side while sitting) has broke and lost it's frame support. Thankfully it should be covered under warranty. We'll see how that goes...

5. The stock queen bed is very comfortable, albeit a little high to get on. My wife had to jump up and off the bed! And only about 6"gap between the mattress and walls - you have to shimmy around the bed. Though I think this is fairly common in many 28ft coaches.

6. The so called "walk-on roof" is not very supportive. I'm only 170lbs and the plywood was flexing a lot when I stepped between the roof trusses. Not very confident in walking around up there.

7. The TV Antenna on the coach is a round black single mount frisbee looking thing. The disc has some play and is a little wiggly to about a inch. Is that normal? The TV channel options where we are parked is very little to no reception anyways, so not really a big deal at this time but could be a problem if we moved around.

8. We have decided to park it in a seasonal campground for this year, so no planned pulling it around this year. Should I go through the effort of using concrete blocking for leveling for one year? I'm just using the 4 stabilizing jacks and front jack at the moment...

9. The outside shower is on the front side of trailer, which is not very common (usually around back or rear), BUT it does serve as a water source by the 2-burner stove and mini fridge. Get a larger square tub and you now have a sink!

That's about it for now... looking forward to next weekend!!

What's your first time or camping experiences so far??

Happy Camping

Old 05-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #7
Duster_Canuck

... still having issues getting a photo inserted into the post... the Insert Image icon requires a URL to the image,which I provided, but still no image shown... damn technology!

Old 05-25-2018, 05:28 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_Canuck View Post
... still having issues getting a photo inserted into the post... the Insert Image icon requires a URL to the image,which I provided, but still no image shown... damn technology!

Upload it as an attachment. This works every time.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout