Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
MDRVers

Second A/C for 5th Wheel Needed?

Hello All - my wife and I are close to finalizing a purchase of a 36' Sydney 5th wheel with a front bedroom and rear kitchen floor plan. We live in the MD area where temps during the summer get very humid and can continually stay in the 90 degree or higher range for many days on end during June through Sept. For this environment, is a second bedroom A/C needed? It's wired for it. If needed, is there an alternative portable AC unit that would be just as useful and not draw as much from the 50 amps? The entry into the bedroom can be segregated from the living area with a door so the area to be cooled would be the bedroom and bathroom only

Thanks in advance!

Fayne

2006 F350 SRW 6.0L Diesel 4x4
Rockwood 8315SS TT and dog Molly in tow
MDRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRVers View Post
Hello All - my wife and I are close to finalizing a purchase of a 36' Sydney 5th wheel with a front bedroom and rear kitchen floor plan. We live in the MD area where temps during the summer get very humid and can continually stay in the 90 degree or higher range for many days on end during June through Sept. For this environment, is a second bedroom A/C needed? It's wired for it. If needed, is there an alternative portable AC unit that would be just as useful and not draw as much from the 50 amps? The entry into the bedroom can be segregated from the living area with a door so the area to be cooled would be the bedroom and bathroom only

Thanks in advance!

Fayne

I will never own a 5th wheel with one A/C.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
mikell

Depends if your in the direct sun then probably but we have one and it works well but I'm in the woods and the only sun it gets is from about 10 -1 maybe and if the awnings out it gets less
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
smiller

Larger units in hot climates will usually need 2 A/C units in order to stay comfortable. And a second unit can be an important backup in case one fails as no A/C would probably be nearly unlivable in excessively hot/humid conditions.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
geo

Fayne -

I remember quite a few warm but terribly humid spring days while attending college in north Baltimore. Annapolis isn't that far. It was just as uncomfortable in the dorms with the humidity in Baltimore as it was in August with the heat in Oklahoma.

My vote is to get the second A/C before purchase, and use the PDI sheet to check everything!

Ron

(BAC dorms - Before Air Conditioned Dorms)
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
MDRVers

Thanks all! I didn't think about the b/u option in case something goes wrong with the living area AC. Saw more than half of the 5th wheels last weekend having the 2nd. Will def add the second. But, I'm assuming I will not need the 15000 BTU model like the rig is coming with and can go with a smaller unit as in 13500 or even as low as 9200 like the unit offered by Coleman. Although if something happens with the main AC, 9200 won't do the job.

Thanks again,

Fayne
MDRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
geo

Quote:
Thanks all! I didn't think about the b/u option in case something goes wrong with the living area AC. Saw more than half of the 5th wheels last weekend having the 2nd. Will def add the second. But, I'm assuming I will not need the 15000 BTU model like the rig is coming with and can go with a smaller unit as in 13500 or even as low as 9200 like the unit offered by Coleman. Although if something happens with the main AC, 9200 won't do the job.

Thanks again,

Fayne
Fayne -

On my Alpine, the rear A/C is a 15,000 BTU A/C heat pump and the bedroom is a 13,500 A/C only. Both are ducted into the ceiling ducts. However, the bedroom A/C can also be opened to flood the bedroom with cool air . . . directly straight down on the bed! Actually, the Chihuahuas love that! When running, I can tell that the front A/C is using around 10 to 12 amps, and the rear A/C is using around 15 amps . . . when running. Add about 5 amps on start up.

I would also like to suggest that you consider a dehumidifier. We have an EvaDry-2000. It does a very nice job of pulling humidity out of the air inside the Alpine. That will help reduce the condensation from the A/C units that drips down the front and back.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Fayne

Well the tow rig should be big enough to deal with the additional weight on the pin,
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
hankaye

MDRVers, Howdy;

Having lived in St. Mary's Co. for several years
my recommendation is get as many as you can find,
stick'em every orifice.....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Jim & Kay

We have our second AC but haven't installed it yet. It is a Coleman Power Saver and the specs are below. It does have the heat strip included.

SPECIFICATIONS MACH III POWER SAVER 8633
Cooling Capacity (Nominal BTUH, as
compared to Mach 3 Plus) 102%
Heating Capacity, Electric Heat Strip (BTUH) 5,600*
Running Watts/Cooling (1) 1,147
Running Watts/Cooling (2) 1,355
Running Watts/Heating (3) 1,800
Electrical Rating 115V 60 Cycles 1 Phase
Locked Rotor Amps (cooling) 48.3
Approx. Full Load Amps Cooling 10.2
Heating 16.0
Evaporator Air Delivery CFM High Speed 310
Installed Weight (pounds) 92.5**
Dimensions: Height x Width x Length 13.5" x 26" x 37"

• Optional heater assembly.
**Installed weight will vary with Ceiling Package Option.
(1) Tested under the following conditions: Cooling A.R.I. Standard
Condioning 80° F. DB/67° F. WB Indoor, 95° F. DB Outdoor at 115 VAC.
(2) Tested under the following conditions: Cooling A.R.I. Standard Conditioning
95° F. DB/67° F. WB Indoor, 120° F DB Outdoor at 103 VAC.
(3) Tested under the following conditions: 47° F. Outdoor Temperature

MACH III POWER SAVER
102% Cool—30% Less Power!
• Uses less power, so there’s more electricity
for your other appliances.
• But here’s the real shocker: it actually
delivers more cooling than a standard
13,500 BTUH air conditioner.
• Even starts in severe desert conditions,
when many other RV A/Cs won’t.

I just copied & pasted the info from the product page .

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Terry&Carol

Geo: please provide more info on the dehumidifier. Is it a stand alone unit, or does it get connected to the main a/c heat pump? Web site? Dealer install or HarryHome Owner?
Terry&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #12
geo

Terry&Carol -

The EvaDry-2200 is a stand-alone unit. It's a little larger than a gallon jug, sort of thumb-shaped. Here's the Website: http://www.eva-dry.com/ . The 2200 is just the correct size for our Alpine. I'm surprised how much moisture it pulls out of the air! Works much better than the chemical-based unit we had, and you don't have to keep pouring out and buying the chemicals.

One thing I did notice. While the Alpine was in storage and closed up, the 2200 would completely fill the reservoir in a week's time and hit the internal shut-off. After I insulated the underbelly, in a week's time, the 2200's reservoir is only about a third full. I think what happened is that the insulation cuts down on the air exchange between the outside and the living area of the RV via the underbelly.

I got my EvaDry-2200 from Amazon, but I see Home Depot now sells them. I've seen them at Bed, Bath & Beyond also.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch