Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2022, 05:53 PM   #1
markdol1

surge protectors

Hi folks. I am looking to buy a 50 amp surge protector and would like to know what are the most desirable features to have and what you bought and why. I am also a little paranoid about someone stealing them off the post while i might be away sightseeing for the day, do any have a way to safeguard them? Thanks.
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdol1 View Post
Hi folks. I am looking to buy a 50 amp surge protector and would like to know what are the most desirable features to have and what you bought and why. I am also a little paranoid about someone stealing them off the post while i might be away sightseeing for the day, do any have a way to safeguard them? Thanks.
First of all, you do not want a "surge protector" no matter who makes it. You want a "Electrical Management System" (EMS). Yes, there's a world of difference. We just had a 3 page thread about them and over the past year, probably enough discussion to keep you reading about the desirable features for a week or more. Here's the recent thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=53618

As for "Which is best?"... That's sort of like asking "Ford, Chevy or Dodge?" Sure as you start getting answers, someone will recommend GMC or Toyota or Nissan.... The four "most recommended are Southwire, Progressive Electric, CAMCO and Hughes. Of course there are many more brands, but, availability of service after the sale, warranty and ease of use/installation go a long way in making a decision....

Here's one article to get your "thinking cap warmed up": https://weretherussos.com/rv-surge-protectors-ems/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 07:31 PM   #3
Camping family

Quote:
Agree what you want is an ems. Also they make a lock to secure it to the pedestal. But all you need is a cable that goes through the attached ems and secures it to the power pole. Just check Amazon for rv ems.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 08:03 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As has been said, surge protector is a bad choice, get the EMS. Used to be the Progressive and Southwire (Surge Guard) were more popular but the Hughes products are gaining popularity...if you can deal with the bright bulldog looking at you.

Portable protection; I've never used anything but a portable and never wanted anything more. I've never secured it and never had an issue with theft or anyone appearing to want to take it. I may be in a place and decide to leave for a few days or a couple of weeks; never had anyone mess with anything. I will note that that is within commercial campgrounds; I would be hesitant to leave my rig and all the equipment I have when camped in a remote forest campground as I used to do. Back then it would have probably been OK but wouldn't dream of it these days.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:20 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

When viewing Progressive products, they often label their EMS units as surge protectors so a little digging is needed. I have used the same Progressive 30A EMS for quite a few years and hang mine off the pedestal. I went through a number of RVs over the past 10 years and like to take it with me; will probably not be buying another RV in the future but who knows?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:24 PM   #6
rhagfo

If you don’t want it walking off, get a hard wired unit!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:29 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
If you don’t want it walking off, get a hard wired unit!
I reckon folks are more honest in the campgrounds we haunt. Been using mine for quite a few years and never had it touched. I do have a bicycle lock that I can slip through the provided loop but seldom feel the need.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:43 PM   #8
travelin texans

Mine hung at the pedestal daily unsecured 10+ years when we were fulltimers & never walked off, but always stayed at privately owned commercial rv parks, not sure it would've stayed in place at state or national parks, totally different crowds.
I've mentioned before, but the reason for the portable was the same as George used on multiple rvs & to have added a hardwired unit would've been a royal PITA to access the area.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 06:50 AM   #9
peanut

Quote:
I have a brand new, never been used Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X (portable model) for sale. Got it when we bought our new 5th wheel this fall. Picked it up with the trailer, unboxed it and stuck it in with other equipment in the storage compartment.

After getting the trailer home and poking around I discovered there was easy access and plenty of room to install a hardwired unit - - so I bought one. The portable is for sale.

I decided on a hardwired because #1 it is one less thing to try and remember when setting up (just back in and plug the power in - no extra step, nothing to forget); #2 protected from weather and; #3 no worries about thieves (people are different than they were just 20 years ago. stay a few days in any campground to see)

But if a portable is good for you - like I said - brand new and never been used. Only thing missing is the box.

I have this unit:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt50x
Retails for $385 - $400 depending on where you get it. I'm asking $300 and I will pay shipping. PM me if interested.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 06:01 PM   #10
markdol1

Thanks so much for the sale offer and thank you all for the reply. I settled on a watchdog portable ems 50 amp with bluetooth . I got it on amazon for $218.00 with the abillity to change out the internal board for $33.00 and if it dies in the first 2 years its free replacement. I also see it has a way to use a cable lock for security. Happy holidays to all!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 07:04 AM   #11
seanrmz

I bought the power dog 50amp. Its hard wired in and comes with a blue tooth app so you can monitor the power coming in. It will also pop a notification if there is a problem.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50-epo-h/
Old 12-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #12
coastn

Have the portable 50 amp watchdog as I alternate use between 2 fifth wheels. Have seen the red face a couple times when plugging into pedestal before connecting power to rig. Thankful for that warning. Secure it to pedestal with a Master Lock 8413DPF Python Cable Lock, $18.71 on Amazon.
Demco Slider Hitch
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Thanks so much for the sale offer and thank you all for the reply. I settled on a watchdog portable ems 50 amp with bluetooth . I got it on amazon for $218.00 with the abillity to change out the internal board for $33.00 and if it dies in the first 2 years its free replacement. I also see it has a way to use a cable lock for security. Happy holidays to all!
I am on my second Progressive EMS. First one died a number of years ago and I had used it for a number of years and it was replaced, no questions asked. I had purchased the original on eBay and it was supposed to be new just out of box. Who really knows? Two years free replacement? I prefer lifetime free replacement.