Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2022, 07:49 PM   #1
Max23

Lithium storage

Hi, I've searched and found a lot about switching to lithium, nothing on winter storage so hope I'm not being redundant. However, I have a set of Dragonfly lithiums that came with the RV. I went directly to the mfr site and they say, if it is going to get below 0 they recommend taking them inside but no need to tender them. Well, since it gets below 0 here on a frequent basis, I elected to pull them and bring them inside for the winter. That said, does anyone have any experience with this, I am a firm believer in tenders for batteries. I also don't want to waste money on something I don't need. I plan on having them stored for probably 4 months. To tender or not to tender, that is the question. Thanks!!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:38 PM   #2
pasayten

Battle Born Recommended Winter Storage Procedure

Battle Born Batteries offers an easy winterizing process for storage for a battery in a boat. Simply bring the battery to a full charge and then disconnect it from the electrical system. They can stay in place or, if you feel like moving them, owners should then store the battery in any dry place with temperatures between -10 degrees Fahrenheit and 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This is an easier task thanks to lithium batteries weighing half of what deep-cycle lead-acid batteries weigh.

Even with six months in storage, users will typically find 75-80% of the battery capacity remaining when they reinstall the battery next season. Generally, these batteries will lose just 2-3% charge per month.

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:53 AM   #3
Old_Stevenick

Ampere Time and articles I've read suggest getting the battery to about 50-60% charge for storage. No trickle charge needed, and not necessary to bring inside.

I still bring mine inside as I live in the Northeast and why not as they're so easy to carry.
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:42 AM   #4
Max23

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the consensus, I did bring them in, however, will not be spending money on a tender I apparently don't need. 2 different mfgs saying the same thing and experience backing it up, good enough for me!!! Thanks a lot!
Old 10-23-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
jasin1

yeah wouldn’t want them to get stolen over the winter if you keep them in a separate storage facility
Old 10-23-2022, 06:57 AM   #6
Max23

Ya, they come with a really nice solid lock on them, however the strap they use to lock them with is "flimsy" to say the least, could probably cut it with a tin snips!!!
Old 10-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I only have FLA batteries in vehicles but have had many lithium batteries of one form or another. Haven't had an issue with charging or holding a charge in the various power tools, lawn tools, lights, phones, etc. that I've owned. I've had batteries for my Dewalt 20v 1/2" impact gun that I charged 6 months ago and are still fully charged.

I know there's a lot of neg press about EV batteries catching fire now and I haven't seen many statistics on it. I know several years ago there were many instances af fire and injury from vaping pens, laptops & cell phones that had user replaceable batteries. I also recall the plethora of cheap Lithion batteries available on-line. You don't hear much about that anymore.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:43 AM   #8
GHen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Ya, they come with a really nice solid lock on them, however the strap they use to lock them with is "flimsy" to say the least, could probably cut it with a tin snips!!!

I agree. Most any lock “keeps somewhat honest thief’s honest”. A pro will get your stuff no matter what you use to lock them up.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #9
Old_Stevenick

Like bicycle locks. They're rated in "time" as in, how long will it take a thief to get it off. Simple cable locks can be cut in a couple of seconds, or you can feel safe to leave your bike locked for 5 minutes or longer if you're brave.

Hardened 12mm chain locks take a lot longer to cut through (angle grinder, blow torch lol) and thus you can feel free to leave your bike locked for an hour or two if you're brave.

No lock is safe to leave a bike locked overnight or for a whole day basically.
Old_Stevenick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage