Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #1
ScottA

Moving Battery

I am upgrading to a 100Ah LiPO which I would like to keep in the pass through. The factory battery on the tongue came with 6AWG wire from it to the giggy box. I already have the "solar ready" 8AWG wires from the giggy box into the pass through.

The tongue wires are simple to remove with only 1 bus bar bolt each in the giggy box. The solar negative connects to the same negative bus bar as the tongue battery. The solar positive connects through a 50A fuse to the same side of the disconnect as the tongue positive. So almost identical power paths.

My question: Is there anything I am missing that would overload the 8AWG wire or the 50A fuse on the 12V side of my camper.
I am thinking the highest load would be the tongue jack or perhaps the stabilizers but I think the tongue jack lifting the tow vehicle when doing the hitch will be way more than the stabilizers for a few seconds.
Water pump, lights, fridge & furnace are all going to be very small in comparison.
The one I am a little worried about is the converter charging the battery as that, in theory, could go to 50A but in the real world I have never seen it get close. Anyone with a battery monitor see sustained battery charging at 50A?

Why store the battery in the pass through?

Lithium does not like the cold and shoulder season camping in Colorado will get below 32 at night regularly. Also there have been quite a few posts about the pathetic "Inverter Prep" these campers have and how to run thick wires back out to the tongue. This way I can mount the inverter within feet of the battery in the same space.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
GHen

When I did a draw down test on my new battery/inverter setup, I also monitored charging from the solar separate from shore power.
When I plugged into shore power there was a spike in charging at around 60 amps for just a minute or so then it settled down to 35 to 37amps from the converter.

I did not retest to confirm the 60amps since it didn’t matter to me at the time.

So, it is possible you could see 50 amps and could be worth verifying what your converter does when recharging a battery that’s down to 50%.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery