Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #1
dmar

Converter/charger problem

We're currently camping at our property in the NC mountains in our 2010 Cougar 27RLS 5th wheel. It appears that the charger has failed. A couple days after we got here the furnace wouldn't start. I checked the battery and voltage was down to 10v. I put my portable charger on it and everything works again, so I think the on board charger must be inop.
We can get along fine using the portable charger for this trip but at some point I'll need to get it fixed. My question is, it reasonable to replace only the converter part so I can avoid all the wiring involved in a complete replacement? It's a WFCO Ultra III WD 8900 series.
dmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:33 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes you should be able to get just the bottom portion ( converter)

https://wfcoelectronics.com/product-...e-main-boards/

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
dmar

Looks like I need the 8955 part. Thanks for the help. 5 wires will be a lot better than however many it takes to replace the whole thing. Especially lying on the floor the whole time.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmar View Post
Looks like I need the 8955 part. Thanks for the help. 5 wires will be a lot better than however many it takes to replace the whole thing. Especially lying on the floor the whole time.
I agree. Unplug from shore power AND disconnect the battery(s) first.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
dmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I agree. Unplug from shore power AND disconnect the battery(s) first.
Yes sir. I've been jolted a few times over the years and don't care to do it again.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:35 PM   #6
GHen

And of course you checked all the fuses…do you have power going to the charger?
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:10 AM   #7
dmar

Oddly enough, it seems to be working now. Its on good shore power (123v), I verified the fuses are good and disconnected the battery. The 2 year old battery seems to be fully charged at 12.5v. I have 13.4v at the battery cables (without battery). However, when I turn on any 12v light, the voltage drops to 9.5 or so. Without the battery, it won't light the furnace. So it'll light 12v bulbs but not ignite the furnace. But I don't know if that's normal.
So now I've reconnected the battery and everything seems to be ok and the furnace lights now. However, with the battery connected, I'm only showing 12.5v. if the converter is putting out 13.4, I think that would show up at the battery, unless the converter drops out when a fully charged battery is in the loop. Since I don't know what's normal for a WFCO converter it's hard to say. Anyway, we should be ok for tonight's freeze, and I have a good portable charger just in case.
Old 10-17-2022, 06:34 AM   #8
dmar

I found a number for tech support, and they said it is supposed to keep everything going without a battery, so the converter is going bad. I won't bother trying to figure it out and just replace it.

Tags
converter