Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2022, 05:25 AM   #21
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
That is the most common. There are also band clamps, but both require a specific tool to install. Readily available at any big box hardware store so they can’t say they don’t have the tool.

I actually have some as well as a pex clamp tool
Old 10-05-2022, 05:46 AM   #22
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
This from his profile:

About Soxfan904
First Name
Greg
Location - City
Granby
State or Province
Connecticut
RV Model
Cougar 30BHS
RV Model Year

Tow Vehicle
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Trail Boss
Hitch info
EZ Connect Weight Distribution Hitch
Signature
Greg
Cougar Half-Ton 30BHS

I agree with the color code of the PEX line (cold "IN" line) where it's connected to the blue and then changed to Red. It should be blue all the way to the tank, then red at the top (water "out" line). Also, the radiator clamps on the PEX connection are suspect also? That's just weird. I'm not sure what's going on.

Considering this is a 2022 model, I'd be heading back to the dealership and have them explain it! and if it's missed, to make it right.
I have updated my signature with the model year, thanks for that.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:13 AM   #23
wiredgeorge

It really helps to have the info in a signature; looking at a profile can sometimes provide the info but you have to look for it rather than it be out front in a thread.

I thought perhaps you purchased some older camper where the radiator clamps (or worm gear) were installed during a repair. On a 2022 and coming from a dealer I now know who installed them but it is surprising a dealer would use them especially on a new camper. Heck, I even own a PEX repair kit and would use the correct clamps, if needed. Thanks
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:28 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

It sure sounds like someone at the RV dealership "did you a favor" (or NOT)....

If this were something from the manufacturer, there would have been more than just one trailer that was "installed like this", and we've not heard of any other trailers coming from Keystone with "worm gear hose clamps" on PEX tubing... That, to me, rules out a "factory issue" and puts it squarely in the hands of "something the dealership did".

While it's true that there is "precious little QC on the assembly line" it's a far reach to believe that the inspectors at Keystone wouldn't immediately notice a "red PEX connected to the cold water inlet" and then check further and discover worm gear clamps and missing components...

This just doesn't fit with a factory defect. So, I'd recommend that since it's going in for service, take your photos with you and have a "nice relaxed but firm" meeting with the service manager (not the service writer or delivery guy) and let him know that you're not at all happy with the dealership's "attempt to delete a required item and patch job to assure future failure of the plumbing system".... Insist on a fix and be firm in making sure he knows you'll be crawling into the bay to inspect their repair, so tell him to leave the panel off until you approve the fix.

It may be an "isolated one tech issue at the dealership" but I'd be hard pressed to trust that service department without checking behind them....

Simply put, none of that "repair" meets RVIA or Keystone standards and somebody did a "hack job" on your new trailer. It looks squarely in the hands of the dealership as being responsible.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:55 AM   #25
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
It really helps to have the info in a signature; looking at a profile can sometimes provide the info but you have to look for it rather than it be out front in a thread.

I thought perhaps you purchased some older camper where the radiator clamps (or worm gear) were installed during a repair. On a 2022 and coming from a dealer I now know who installed them but it is surprising a dealer would use them especially on a new camper. Heck, I even own a PEX repair kit and would use the correct clamps, if needed. Thanks

Understand, thanks again. I am not new to RVing, but definitely new to this forum, so thanks for the tidbits of information. I appreciate all your advice and insight.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:56 AM   #26
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It sure sounds like someone at the RV dealership "did you a favor" (or NOT)....

If this were something from the manufacturer, there would have been more than just one trailer that was "installed like this", and we've not heard of any other trailers coming from Keystone with "worm gear hose clamps" on PEX tubing... That, to me, rules out a "factory issue" and puts it squarely in the hands of "something the dealership did".

While it's true that there is "precious little QC on the assembly line" it's a far reach to believe that the inspectors at Keystone wouldn't immediately notice a "red PEX connected to the cold water inlet" and then check further and discover worm gear clamps and missing components...

This just doesn't fit with a factory defect. So, I'd recommend that since it's going in for service, take your photos with you and have a "nice relaxed but firm" meeting with the service manager (not the service writer or delivery guy) and let him know that you're not at all happy with the dealership's "attempt to delete a required item and patch job to assure future failure of the plumbing system".... Insist on a fix and be firm in making sure he knows you'll be crawling into the bay to inspect their repair, so tell him to leave the panel off until you approve the fix.

It may be an "isolated one tech issue at the dealership" but I'd be hard pressed to trust that service department without checking behind them....

Simply put, none of that "repair" meets RVIA or Keystone standards and somebody did a "hack job" on your new trailer. It looks squarely in the hands of the dealership as being responsible.....

You are absolutely correct that is great advice and that is what I will do on Saturday. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:10 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

It very much appears the trailer had some kind of problem with the bypass valves (or something) and the dealership just jury rigged "something" together go assure you would have a leak in the future.

I would take it back and have them replumb that area with the correct pex (colors), pex connectors and the required bypass valves. Since this is a travel trailer there won't be a bypass valve in the little docking station like some 5th wheels have so it has to be where they've "modified" it. Before taking it back in I would sure go over it with a fine toothed comb if that's the kind of repair work they did and hoped to get it past you....no telling what else they did substandard. On my new trailers they have a punch list of what they did to repair it prior to me taking possession which I ask for. You might do the same and then you could inspect everything they did. There are lots of ways to "skim by" on repairs (cheap out). Good luck on getting it fixed right.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

As the saying goes, "out of site out of mind."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #29
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It very much appears the trailer had some kind of problem with the bypass valves (or something) and the dealership just jury rigged "something" together go assure you would have a leak in the future.

I would take it back and have them replumb that area with the correct pex (colors), pex connectors and the required bypass valves. Since this is a travel trailer there won't be a bypass valve in the little docking station like some 5th wheels have so it has to be where they've "modified" it. Before taking it back in I would sure go over it with a fine toothed comb if that's the kind of repair work they did and hoped to get it past you....no telling what else they did substandard. On my new trailers they have a punch list of what they did to repair it prior to me taking possession which I ask for. You might do the same and then you could inspect everything they did. There are lots of ways to "skim by" on repairs (cheap out). Good luck on getting it fixed right.

Thank you for the advice. Yes I did go through it with a fine tooth comb, and this is the only issue I found. I’ll make sure this is correctly plumbed and a bypass is added
Old 10-05-2022, 08:32 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

The tech that did that hack job on your water heater hoses will be wearing a maroon shirt. When you get there yell, "Hey Moron... errr maroon" and I be he/she ducks into the bathroom and into a stall and locks the door. I can't imagine a service department boss will be happy with that individual....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #31
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The tech that did that hack job on your water heater hoses will be wearing a maroon shirt. When you get there yell, "Hey Moron... errr maroon" and I be he/she ducks into the bathroom and into a stall and locks the door. I can't imagine a service department boss will be happy with that individual....

Haha yeah, that is for sure. I am glad I discovered this and will be getting it fixed.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #32
dutchmensport

Although it's human to want to be vocal and even cause embarrassment to your RV dealership for blotching up your new camper, it will not be in your best interest to actually do that.

As stated above, stand firm on what you now know and insist the original configuration be restored with valves. But, do it such a way you are not sounding threatening or want to cause them embarrassment. If you use this approach, they will shut you down immediately.

Remember the old expression, You can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #33
Soxfan904

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Although it's human to want to be vocal and even cause embarrassment to your RV dealership for blotching up your new camper, it will not be in your best interest to actually do that.

As stated above, stand firm on what you now know and insist the original configuration be restored with valves. But, do it such a way you are not sounding threatening or want to cause them embarrassment. If you use this approach, they will shut you down immediately.

Remember the old expression, You can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.

Yes that is the plan of action I plan on taking

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater