Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2022, 12:01 PM   #1
colemaaw

2011 Outback BQ301: Brake wiring issues

Hello I am super new to RVing. Me and my family of 6 are really excited to be going full time but there's an issue. I am in the process of change my 7 way junction box but my right signal light isn't working. When I turn on my right signal my emergency lights for the trailer comes on. Another thing is I can't seem to find the a wire diagram that matches my trailer. I have 2 green/white wires that I'm not sure where they go. I also have an all green wire. I've put the grn/wht and the grn wires together and connected them to the grn 7 way. Please see picture and please help me figure this out if possible. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Keystone Outback BQ301 7way.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	41833  
colemaaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:08 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Off the top of my head, the turn signal wires are the yellow and green. Looks like the green wire is connected to the brown, which is the tail lights. You’re basically connecting the turn signal to both sides. that would be the reason the hazards flash when you turn on the turn signal. Try disconnecting the brown wire and see if the turn signals work.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:13 PM   #3
colemaaw

This was a picture after I swapped the grn and brn wire to see if it fixed the issue but this wiring resulted in no running lights or right signal. Only the left signal light worked with this setup. I was thinking of maybe taking the 2 grn/wht wires off and only running the grn wire to the 7 way grn. I hope this makes sense and thanks for answering
Old 10-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
bsmith0404

Here’s a link to the 7 pin wiring diagram.
https://images.app.goo.gl/sKqEDG2Y1bTE9MVW6
Old 10-01-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
colemaaw

Yeah I've seen this picture, the problem is the extra wires. Grn/wht wires not sure what to do with them.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:24 PM   #6
bsmith0404

What I find works well for me when trying to troubleshoot unknown wiring, find a known such as the turn signal from the truck side. Then, after making sure the trailer side does not short to ground, connect it to the known truck side and see what it does on the trailer. For example, if you are using the yellow (left turn) from the truck and you connect a wire trailer and get the right turn, the. You know that wire is the right turn and should be connected to the green from the the truck. If you get both tail lights flashing, then that would be the taillights and would be connected to the brown from the truck. Hope that makes sense and helps.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
colemaaw

Okay thanks I'm about to go try that and see what happens.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
colemaaw

Running lights

Okay now I've gotten the brake lights, both signal lights and emergency lights working. But the running lights on the side and front work but are very dim. The running/tail lights at the rear top "red" don't come on and I checked the voltage at the left tail light while the running lights were on and it showed 4.5. I was reading 13 at the box. I'm not sure why I'm losing voltage and why the top back running lights aren't working. Any advice would definitely help. Thx
Old 10-01-2022, 07:13 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Possibly bad ground. Finding it may prove time consuming.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:42 PM   #10
bsmith0404

I was thinking ground issue as well. Sim lights is a good indicator of that. If you have an ohm meter, check the wires and see if any are shorted to ground. A bad ground will typically still short to ground, but will show a higher resistance.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

From what I can see in the photos you have a mess. Mis-matched wire colors connected, spade connectors instead of ring terminals, etc. If it were mine I would remove every wire and start over. The studs in the terminal box are color coded for your convenience. Connect the 7 wires from the umbilical to those studs matching the wire color to the studs.

Next match the color wires from the trailer side and mount them to the same color as the 7 way cord and terminal box. Then take an ohm meter and check for continuity from the unknown wire to each stud. If you get a reading then that unknown wire is the ground for that circuit.

If you don't have the 7 wire colors from the trailer side then that means one of those unknown wires belongs on a terminal that isn't connected to a stud. It's a process of elimination. Just blindly "moving wires" and trying it will likely get frustrating and end up with blown fuses and possibly wire damage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback, wiring